PCEngine model: original white one

Power Supply: Sega Megadrive model 1 PSU

Video cable: RGB SCART

SD card brand: Samsung EVO plus 64GB and Lexar 32GB

Region modded?: no

SSDS3 revision 1, 2 or B?: B

In Game Trigger enabled in the Options menu? No

Any other details specific to your setup: CM8833 CRT monitor

Problem or Issue: I get random crashes, reboots after playing a while with all games I tried playing for an extended period of time (+-30 to 60 minutes). It seems like hucards reboot, while CD games outright crash(single color screen with a few glitchy looking graphics).

Todd
Admin

Re: Random crashes and reboots

14 Jun 2019, 00:03

It’s most likely either your PCEngine or the psu going bad. Do you have a spare of either to check?

relo999

14 Jun 2019, 01:02

You are probably right, tried a different Sega megadrive PSU it ran once (forgot the SD) turned it back on again and the fuse broke :lol: .

Probably a good excuse to recap it, replace the 7805 with a new one, obviously replace the fuse (1A right?), install a fuse holder and redo the RGB mod I did when I only modded gameboys before ~10 years back. And hopefully that will solve everything :roll: .

evilsim

03 Sep 2019, 15:37

well I was going to concur and state that my A version SSDS3 (with firebrandX audio and FU-RGB upgrades) was running like an absolute piece of garbage, crashing everywhere, freezing etc etc - usually after playing for 10-20mins. It would continue to play up indefinitely until I threw it back in the drawer and waited until I wanted to torture myself with it again..

Yesterday I changed to a Sandisk Ultra 128G stick, EXFAT formatted. Same problems.
Today I decided to read this forum post and tried a different PSU to the one I've always used for all my center-pin-negative consoles and wallah its been stable for 40ish minutes... I am using a Philips brand 9v 2A switching PSU. Well I'll be damned, I dont need to throw this horrendous piece of plastic in the bin.

Not sure why terraonion, is your piece of kit so damn sensitive to certain power supplies.. But I dont care as long as I have not wasted 400$ to then be told I voided my warranty by Stone Age gamer and given the gentle flick by terraonion via email.

Thanks forum

Todd
Admin

03 Sep 2019, 16:12

That's what happens when you either use a junk PSU or a worn out original PSU.

The SSDS3 isn't particularly sensitive to certain power supplies. However garbage power supplies do you no favors.

evilsim

04 Sep 2019, 14:38

Todd wrote:

The SSDS3 isn't particularly sensitive to certain power supplies. However garbage power supplies do you no favors.
The power supply I was using before works for every other console I use - and still doe that just fine (no audio/video noise no problems at all), but the SSDS3 was not happy at all using this PSU. It was impossible to know this before purchasing a power supply. Anyway for any one else who has annoying crashing/rebooting/funny colours/games not loading problems try a different PSU.

At last I can play PC-E without concern of losing where I am up to in a game.

Todd
Admin

04 Sep 2019, 14:47

evilsim wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 14:38
Todd wrote:

The power supply I was using before works for every other console I use - and still doe that just fine (no audio/video noise no problems at all), but the SSDS3 was not happy at all using this PSU. It was impossible to know this before purchasing a power supply. Anyway for any one else who has annoying crashing/rebooting/funny colours/games not loading problems try a different PSU.

At last I can play PC-E without concern of losing where I am up to in a game.

Yeah, but what PSU were you using before?

I ask because there is a lot of "universal" power supplies and cheap 3rd party supplies that, to be quite honest, are total garbage.

Nearly all of the replacement PSUs sold in retro game stores are cheap junk that shouldn't go anywhere near your retro gear.

evilsim

04 Sep 2019, 14:57

https://imgur.com/gallery/Um9NP9S here is a pic of the PSU which would make my SSDS3 go haywire, with the haywire building momentum over time.

Whilst you are reading this, do you know why I cannot add my MegaSD serial number into the downloads page ? It does not detect the number.. My serial number is (not saying here heheh). Please help. [ nevermind i found the (correct) serial in the menu of the MEGASD ] the serial number printed on a sticker on the inside/back of the MEGASD did not work. 3 characters were different in the MEGASD menus....

EDIT: BTW I completely agree with you about most of the "retro" PSU's being a total rip off and the PSU's are just chinese junk. You have to go brand name or usually most Taiwanese products will be QA tested thoroughly and be of far higher quality.
Last edited by evilsim on 04 Sep 2019, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.

Todd
Admin

04 Sep 2019, 15:16

evilsim wrote:
Whilst you are reading this, do you know why I cannot add my MegaSD serial number into the downloads page ? It does not detect the number.. My serial number is
You are probably typing the serial in wrong.

Go to the options menu and select version and that will display your serial number. It's easier to read that way rather than looking through the back of the cart at the sticker on the PCB.

evilsim

04 Sep 2019, 15:19

Todd wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 15:16
evilsim wrote:
Whilst you are reading this, do you know why I cannot add my MegaSD serial number into the downloads page ? It does not detect the number.. My serial number is
You are probably typing the serial in wrong.

Go to the options menu and select version and that will display your serial number. It's easier to read that way rather than looking through the back of the cart at the sticker on the PCB.
I was not typing the serial incorrectly, the physical printed sticker is flat out wrong. Why you need to be like this. I have given you guys lots of cash be nice. I've sorted it now.

Yeah I found it. Do you have any further comment on the PSU -- for other people ?? I am ok now, but it was very hard for me to differentiate between what the SSDS3 thought was a good and bad PSU.

Return to “Super SD System 3 Tech Support”