gperezse

Sound, but no image from SSDS3

26 Apr 2019, 22:25

PCEngine model: PC Engine (white/original)

Power Supply: original NEC

Video cable: Genesis 2 32X/CDX RGB SCART cable with csync (retro access)

https://retro-access.com/products/copy- ... nc-version

Sega Mega Drive 2 / Genesis 2 RGB SCART PACKAPUNCH PRO CABLE

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/seg ... le-tv-lead

SD card brand: Kingston

Region modded: purchased used, but not modded to my knowledge

SSDS3 revision 1, 2 or B?: Purchased new in June 2018, so I believe it's revision 2

In Game Trigger enabled in the Options menu?: no

I purchased the SSDS3 and a PC Engine last June. The SSDS3 sat in storage until about February, when I sent it to Mobiusstrip for modification. He tests it, returns it, and I hook it up to my Vizio HDMI TV via OSSC. I used the Packapunch cable originally. I get sound, but no image. I try it through my Framemeister. Again, sound but no image. Mobiusstrip reconfirms that it worked on his end (which I don't doubt), and suggests I try another cable. I purchase a generic Genesis 2 RGB scart cable from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XY ... UTF8&psc=1). This cable works - sound and image, but the quality is about what you'd expect from a $10 generic cable. I purchase another Genesis 2 cable from retro access. Same results as the first cable - sound but no image.

Any advice? At this point I am contemplating a new PC Engine, but I want to exhaust all options before doing so.

jjennings089

Re: Sound, but no image from SSDS3

27 Apr 2019, 09:35

I have the exact same issue; following...

Mobiusstriptech

27 Apr 2019, 15:19

The generic cable is almost certainly using composite video as sync. Most likely, your console is not outputting a csync signal from the expansion port. You are welcome to send the setup my way and I can see what is going on.

jjennings089

30 Apr 2019, 02:56

PCEngine model: Supergrafx switch tried in both positions

Power Supply: retro game cave SSDS3 version.

Video cable: RGB Scart retro gaming cables .co.uk versions which supports SSDS3

SD card brand: Stone Age gamer sent me the card...

Region modded?: No mods

SSDS3 revision 1, 2 or B?: B

In Game Trigger enabled in the Options menu? off

Any other details specific to your setup: system is Scart to gscartsw to Framemiester or OSSC... Both have no video.

Problem or Issue: No video

Todd
Admin

30 Apr 2019, 05:08

Please start a new thread. It's too difficult to keep track of this stuff when it's piled into an existing thread.

gperezse

06 May 2019, 20:43

Just to follow-up, I think Mobius was right that the console itself was not outputting a csync signal. I purchased a replacement PC Engine and it it works perfectly with all cables and the SSDS3. Thank you for your help!

Mobiusstriptech

06 May 2019, 22:00

Glad you got it resolved. I have seen weird issues like that before with some of the consoles not outputting specific signals. I have one being sent to me currently because of strange graphical errors.

Return to “Super SD System 3 Tech Support”