hamburgler

Screen "wiggles" during certain games/levels..

15 Mar 2019, 01:42

PCEngine model: US Turbografx

Power Supply: Original OEM

Video cable: HD Retrovision SEGA Genesis Model 2 Component cables

SD card brand: Sandisk

Region modded?: No

SSDS3 revision 1, 2 or B?: Latest model sold by stoneagegamer

In Game Trigger enabled in the Options menu? No

Any other details specific to your setup: No upscaler. Connected directly to a Sony Trinitron. Have used the cables with my Genesis, PS1, and Saturn with no issue.

Problem or Issue: When playing games with certain colors on screen the video will start to "wiggle" and distort to differing degrees depending on the colors and intensity. So far I have noticed lighter, brighter colors like whites, brighter blues, and browns (such as the first couple of levels of Bonk's Revenge) are particularly triggering of this issue. Darker colors do not seem to cause the problem. I had played the unit prior to using the SD3 thru RF with no issue, and as mentioned I have used these cables on other systems with no problems.

Todd
Admin

Re: Screen "wiggles" during certain games/levels..

15 Mar 2019, 02:47

Can you show us? Video would be good.

hamburgler

15 Mar 2019, 21:11

https://youtu.be/h4Stb2bqkzs

https://youtu.be/G4nVOdBqt2I

These are two instances where it is very noticeable. Let me know if you need any other troubleshooting info.

hamburgler

15 Mar 2019, 22:25

Another bit of information: I tried using a composite a/v cable for genesis 2 I had to see if there were different results. This is what I'm getting:

Keeps rolling down the screen like scrambled cable signal.

Mobiusstriptech

16 Mar 2019, 07:29

You have an issue on the connection or the console side. I would say a decent chance it's a bad 5v connection, power issue, or your composite video circuit/pin. Reason being, both the composite video cable and the hdretrovision cables use the same video signal for sync. RGB looks fine based on the colors but the shifting image tells me that your composite video circuit is where the issue lies.

Assuming that all other functions of the SSDS3 are fine, that points even more towards the composite video circuit specifically. In the tg16 the RF output and the composite video out the back expansion are built from the same lines on the 6260. However they are isolated from each other by way of transistors to prevent signal issues when hooking up something to the expansion port.

Immediate thing is to check those pins. It will be the left side pins if looking from the front of your console, right side if looking from the back. If you want to verify it's only an issue with composite. Use a csync SCART cable. I'd bet the issue will go away. This would not need to be a permanent change. Just a test to verify.

hamburgler

16 Mar 2019, 08:08

Thanks for that information and pointing me in a solid direction. The unit does work fine other than the image shifting, and on darker colors where it is not affected it does play and look beautiful.

To touch on the points you bring up, firstly with power I do notice the connection is a bit touchy, and if the connection to the console gets disturbed at all it will disconnect or power cycle the console but other than that seems to work fine. I also noticed the picture being a bit dark when running under RF connection though all my other consoles with RF connections follow a similar trend so I didn't pay it much mind. Unfortunately I don't have access to any SCART cables or equipment so I wouldn't be able to use that as a test.

When you say to check the pins are you referring to visually or along the lines of using a multimeter? Visually I checked everything thoroughly earlier, cleaned with electronic cleaner, even took the tg16 apart (to find the rf shield is soldered on) and everything LOOKS fine but obviously something isn't. I'm willing to take the necessary steps and do the research and would appreciate any help going forward.

Mobiusstriptech

17 Mar 2019, 07:56

For checking the pins, I mainly meant verifying they are not bent or pushed in at all. Since fitment on the TG16 is very tight.

If you don't have anything to test with that would use CSync, this will be difficult to deal with since you only have composite video. Assuming you have no other console, or a friend with one that you can test on, I don't know if you would consider sending your console and SSDS3 to someone to check.

hamburgler

18 Mar 2019, 00:12

On the top "C" row the first two pins and the third to last and last pins are very very slightly pushed in. I can readjust them but they always get pushed whenever I attach the SSDS3 to the TurboGrafx and I am being extremely gentle and careful when doing so to avoid any pins getting bent.

I ordered a second TurboGrafx unit which should arrive middle of this week and I'll update with that information. That being said would there be any other things I can try in the meantime?

Mobiusstriptech

18 Mar 2019, 03:18

Right now I would say no since you don't have access to SCART cables or another console.

hamburgler

20 Mar 2019, 17:47

I received the second TurboGrafx in today and upon testing I am getting the exact same problem with the screen flipping and wiggling as with the other unit. Having tested with multiple consoles and televisions at this point I'm going to have to assume I received a defective unit or that the new revision "B" models are no longer compatible with HD Retrovision component cables out of the box.

Return to “Super SD System 3 Tech Support”