PC Engine model: CoreGrafx and TurboGrafx

Power Supply: Original and quality replacements

Video cable: Retro Gaming Cables CSYNC

SD card brand: Sandisk

Region modded?: No

SSDS3 revision: 1, 2 or B?: B

In Game Trigger enabled in the Options menu? No

Problem or Issue:

Has anyone experienced sync issues with the new revision B of the Super SD System 3? Using CSYNC cables from 'Retro Gaming Cables' (I have both the regular and PACKAPUNCH versions), I get no picture through a Framemeister (black screen) or directly in to a Sony BVM (very scrambled picture). This is the case with both a CoreGrafx and TurboGrafx.

I previously owned revision 2 of the Super SD System 3 and all above combinations worked fine so this is a bit of a mystery. The only workaround I have for now is to use a sync over composite video cable and and a sync stripper.

Thanks!

Mobiusstriptech

Re: Sync issue with revision B

13 Mar 2019, 06:56

The immediate thoughts that come to mind are the csync cables may not actually be csync. The components on the sync line might be missing or the wrong values. Or in the case of the Framemeister specifically you may need to increase the sync level. I have a rev B and did testing on the prototype as well as the FU-RGB board. I tested all of that with multiple consoles, cables, and on a Framemeister, OSSC, and Sony PVM. I did not experience your issues. Which leads me to believe there is a common denominator on your end that we need to investigate.

I will say that I have had multiple customers run into issues with an inability to maintain sync on both the rev 2 and rev B. In most cases it was either the cable being used or a failing power supply. One of the customers had an OEM TG16 supply that the 3300uf capacitor had completely dried up in.

Sulley

13 Mar 2019, 13:10

Hey Mobiusstriptech,

Thanks very much for your reply. I had no issues at all with revision 2 other than the video quality. It's very odd that with the new revision neither of my consoles work with either cable, on either display device. I can only think at the moment that's it's a compatibility issue with the cables as you say, or a fault with the Super SD System 3, which I realise is unlikely.

The cables are both from Retro Gaming Cables as recommended in the SSDS3 Troubleshooting FAQ. One is their standard version (no longer on their site it seems) and one is their premium PACKAPUNCH model. As far as I know they are identical other than the quality of the cable used. As you can see below it's even listed as compatible with the Super SD System 3, and indeed it was with revision 2:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/seg ... le-tv-lead

Does anything in the spec. stand out as being a potential issue?

What IS working for me right now is this cable:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RGB-Scart-Le ... 2605361741

Combined with this sync stripper:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/fem ... m-monitors

Thanks

Mobiusstriptech

13 Mar 2019, 18:54

Does the working cable still work correctly without the sync stripper in use? Since that cable is obviously a composite video as sync cable. I will honestly say I am not a fan of RGC cables. I realize many people are. I would definitely recommend opening the SCART head and checking it out. Pictures would be good too. Just to see if there is an issue with the components on the sync line.

Sulley

16 Mar 2019, 20:54

Yes the composite as sync cable works fine on the Framemeister (but not the BVM of course). Here are pictures of the PACKAPUNCH cable.

Thanks again

Mobiusstriptech

17 Mar 2019, 08:01

It's interesting that your bvm won't accept composite video as sync. I have never seen that before personally. As to your issue, I am starting to question if the sync line is broken on that csync cable. I had a customer recently that had the sync line broken at the console side. If you own a multimeter you can check this by testing continuity from the sync pin on the console side of the cable to the yellow wire on that SCART head PCB. If you get continuity, we will have ruled that out.

Sulley

17 Mar 2019, 21:59

I've check the continuity and it's fine. I do have two of these cables so I think a fault is unlikely (plus they both worked on the old SSDS3). In a further development I have received yet another CSYNC cable from another manufacturer and this too does not work:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Mega-Dr ... 1091969356

Sorry about the BVM confusion... I have it through an Extron Crosspoint so it only works with CSYNC. I expect the BVM would work fine using the composite video as sync cable but I don't have a very easy way to hook it up like that.

I can only think at this stage that the SSDS3 isn't outputting a sync signal.

Thanks again

Todd
Admin

17 Mar 2019, 23:23

Sulley,
Can you give us a rundown of your video chain from console to display?

Sulley

18 Mar 2019, 10:49

Hi Todd,

Well usually it's console to Extron Crosspoint which has two outputs, to the BVM and the Framemeister. For testing I'm going straight into the Framememister. It remains that no combination of console or CSYNC cable works with either display. Everything was fine with the old SSDS3, in every combination! I should also mention that there are 11 other consoles hooked up to the Extron and they all work perfectly.

Unless anyone has any other ideas I can only conclude that my new SSDS3 has a fault. Is CSYNC specifically tested on each unit?

Thanks

Return to “Super SD System 3 Tech Support”