TankRank

Image Scrolling Vertically

28 Jan 2020, 05:03

PCEngine model: US TurboGrafx16

Power Supply: Both OEM NEC 10.5v DC and Genesis Model 1 PSU attempted

Video cable: Composite AV and SCART RGB attempted from AV mods and from the super sd system unit (including after disconnecting internal RGB amp/composite

SD card brand: Sandisk Extreme 128gb

Region modded?: No

SSDS3 revision 1, 2 or B?: Unopened, didn't know I was allowed to before posting. Purchased from StoneAgeGamer in late December

In Game Trigger Off

Any other details specific to your setup: XRGB Framemeister and/or Ikegami Broadcast RGB monitor. My typical setup involves an internal RGB amp mod outputting video from a custom port on the TG16 itself and a custom cable from the SDSYSTEM with L/R audio only, but I have tested all outputs except RF which I removed.

When powered on, the system image will scroll from the top to the bottom relatively slowly, but becomes rapid when a game (particularly a CD game image) is launched. HuCard images launched from the SYSYSTEM display the same, slow scrolling as happens on the menu occurs here. When the SDSYSTEM is attached and a physical HuCard is loaded, the scrolling occurs. When the SDSYSTEM is detatched, the system functions normally.

The Turbo recently underwent a cap replacement where all new caps were thoroughly checked for placement/errors.

Todd
Admin

Re: Image Scrolling Vertically

28 Jan 2020, 19:55

Can you double check the pins on the back of your console to make sure none are bent? Also might want to clean them too.

neodev

29 Jan 2020, 12:21

So do you have an internal RGB mod? or removed it when trying? having an internal mod might cause problems if SSDS3 is connected at the same time, as both are draining from the RGB, video and sync pins.

TankRank

08 Feb 2020, 22:31

Apologies for ghosting you fellas for a week, but since my last post I attempted to clean and powered on without the TG16 case reassembled and then... something, something fuse blown, a week for some new ones to show up. I took another crack at cleaning the pins with isopropyl and Q-tips and its still a no-go. I saw the other guy with the same issue solved it this way, so I've attempted cleaning and pin fixing multiple times.

I originally had an S-video mod which I disconnected to no avail (Yeah its weird, but I did it a long time ago and it hasn't hurt anything since, so I left it) and then disconnected the RGB mod as well. I also replaced all the caps as I figured I'd order them while I was ordering fuses and that has had no effect. I also replaced the voltage regulator with a 2A model to try and see if an extra amp would do the trick, but no effect on the scrolling. I went back to a regular ol' 1amp regulator when this didn't work.

The SDsystem3 did indeed work for at least 2 weeks as I played it a great deal during my holiday break from work. It just seemed to randomly quit.

Do you have any further advice, or tips to better clean off the pins? I would agree that a bad connection seems like it would be the culprit, but like I've said, I've noodled around in there cleaning with 91% and a swab a few times and made sure all the pins are perfect.

are there a few specific pins you might think are to blame? I paid special attention to all the video and sync pins in particular.

(edit: syntax)

Todd
Admin

10 Feb 2020, 04:20

Do you have access to another machine to test with?

TankRank

15 Feb 2020, 05:15

I don't have another machine. Like I said, it was running like a champ on my current machine for a couple weeks until the current issue. I opened my TG to check and complete maintenance on, including removing the video mods I would not need anymore with the SD system.

TankRank

17 Feb 2020, 05:22

I have removed all mods, cleaned all pins, replaced all caps, tried both a sega and NEC power supply.

Here is what currently shows through my XRGB via the sdsystem rgb output on a genesis 2 cable swapped from my X'eye:

https://youtu.be/7MRetNDxjig

The screen is now not scrolling smoothly as it once was, buttons shows whatlooks like a sync issue.

I neglected to take a video of the system functioning without the sd system attached, but it does work, I just cant take a video without reconnecting the mods as I no longer have RF on the system and the mods were how I got video.

Todd
Admin

19 Feb 2020, 16:40

Have you tried adjusting the sync level on the Framemeister?

Also, do you have a regular composite video cable for the Genesis 2/Mega Drive 2 that you can test it with?

Return to “Super SD System 3 Tech Support”