Steven

Overdrive not working properly on Nomad

16 Jan 2020, 06:21

I'm getting some errors running Overdrive (the first one, not 2 since that's PAL-only) on the Nomad. I am using the NTSC-compatible ROM. There are a few parts that don't display properly (a few frames before the no Nintendo inside rotating thing are glitched and the whole greetings screen doesn't work). I actually didn't let it run beyond the broken greetings screen; I was just testing to see if anything would seriously break and I turned it off when I saw that that screen didn't work properly.

I've heard that sometimes it (Overdrive in general and that screen specifically) doesn't work on real hardware for some reason. Not sure if this is a Nomad problem or a MegaSD problem. Will test it on my Mega Sg and Japanese Mega Drive when I get home from work tonight to see what happens. I know that Overdrive used to run properly through the Mega Sg's SD card slot, but the new firmware broke some stuff, including an actual cart game that no longer works, but I have not tested any demos since the last (custom) firmware update.

Edit: I forgot to disable the auto-region fix thingy in the MegaSD and I wasn't paying attention to see if it tried to do any of the region fixing stuff. Will try it again on all systems with that option disabled.

Edit 2: Emulate seek time = on, graphics scaler = off

neodev

Re: Overdrive not working properly on Nomad

16 Jan 2020, 08:48

I've never tried it on a nomad, but my megadrive model 2 seems to have some issues running it properly. It seems it uses too hardware specific graphics tricks that don't work on all chipset models, not really related to the cart, as it also fails with a chinese flashcart clone. Graphics scaler or seek time don't make a difference. Auto region fix might cause issues though, as it traps the vdp status reads when switching ntsc and pal modes.

Steven

16 Jan 2020, 09:22

Okay, thanks. Figured I'd ask to see if anyone else has had problems specifically related to the MegaSD. I'll look into it more when I get home. The Nomad is basically just a Genesis 2 with TMSS and a screen, so testing it with a Mega Drive 2 makes sense. Maybe it will work on my Japanese Mega Drive. Will find out in about 5 hours when I get home.

Steven

16 Jan 2020, 15:08

Yay, a double post.

I disabled the auto region fix and it worked on both my Nomad and my Mega Drive. I don't normally use my Mega Drive because the OSSC is annoying and my monitor takes forever to switch resolutions, but I am glad I tested this. Not because of Overdrive, but because I discovered that I really like the darker colors on my Mega Drive more than the Mega Sg.

Return to “MegaSD Tech Support”