psycho_soldier

glitches with neosd pro

14 Jan 2020, 19:10

I bought the NeoSD Pro during the black friday sale.

Like others, I have found it to be glitchy.

Games do work though, and contrary to other posters I don't get white screens or random reboots.
I have seen people having visual glitches, but I think mine look different.
I don't get random crawling blocks like others have, but rather vertical lines, and blacks can get kind of smeared (difficult to describe).
Here's a picture of the menu :
I can take others if necessary.

I'd say it happens approximately 1/3rd of the time I start a game.
When it happens, I reboot, and it disappears most of the time, but I'm sure you'll agree this is not satisfactory. When it boots without glitches, the game will remain glitch-free until I reboot.

I have several original games, and they never exhibit these glitches.

I'm on the latest firmware.

I have tried removing the plastic shell, so as to eliminate potential spacing issues, but it does not change anything.

Neo-Geo is a japanese Pow3 3.6 model, RGB modded, with a 3.3 UniBIOS, and a brand new power supply bought here : https://retrogamesupply.com/collections ... eo-geo-aes

Here's what they write about it :
"Pro-Pow-E and Pro-Pow3 :
Original power adapter : 9 -> 11V (unregulated => around ±3V) 1A max
This model : 9V (regulated) 1.25A max"

So the original can use a higher voltage but the replacement can supply more power, apparently. Anyone with electrical background could explain if that's important ?

I plan on trying with a different power supply and also with a 110V->220V converter with the original power supply, when I get a chance to buy them. My hope is that the original power supply will work but this is annoying.

I have thouroughly cleaned the cart contacts with 90% alcohol.

Any more ideas ?
Has anyone seen the same sort of glitches ?
How long is the warranty on the NeoSD Pro ?

Thanks

neodev

Re: glitches with neosd pro

14 Jan 2020, 19:42

We have noticed it happening in some models. It seems related to how neosd resets the console to switch games. Just pressing the reset button fixes it whem it happens.

longlong27

15 Jan 2020, 14:20

Mines is even worst can't even see the menu screen at all.

cgallant1

15 Jan 2020, 19:54

neodev wrote:
We have noticed it happening in some models. It seems related to how neosd resets the console to switch games. Just pressing the reset button fixes it whem it happens.
I have seen this on my system as well. Is there any possibility of a fix for this? As you mentioned a reset will fix it but it still would be nice if it could be improved.

Console Revision: 3-6
Bios: Unibios 3.3
NeoSD Firmware: 1.07 R08
Last edited by cgallant1 on 15 Jan 2020, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.

psycho_soldier

15 Jan 2020, 20:04

neodev wrote:
Do you mean the same exact glitch ?
Do these consoles have something in common (UniBIOS, revision, etc. ) ?

Here are a few more examples. Notice in particular the black outlines on the right of sprites, this is not a problem with my picture, it appear like that on screen. Also notice also how "NeoGeo" is displayed incorrectly in the uniBIOS check (it is subtle, you need to know how it should normally display).

I did a few tests : when a game boots without glitches, I can reset as much as I want, it always stays correct. I tried 50 times.
When a game boots with glitches, you need to push the reset button physically, a soft reset through the UniBIOS menu leaves glitches intact.

AMIGA

16 Jan 2020, 21:33

I have exactly the same problem, only my contacts are scratched.

Razo

17 Jan 2020, 00:44

I noticed this yesterday running through some King of fighters games. It's funny that it only does it on my 9v console but on my 5v it works fine. I never removed the pcbs to see if that would fix the problem.

psycho_soldier

01 Feb 2020, 18:48

So I bought a 110V-220V converter to be able use the original japanese power supply (instead of the 220V 3rd-party), and it still glitches.

Here's a new example :

I can only conclude that the NeoSD Pro is slightly off-spec.

Could TerraOnion, at a minimum, investigate compatibiliy with 9V models, and provide a technical explanation for this behaviour ?

Any chance this could be fixed in a firmware update ?

jcolor

06 Feb 2020, 23:41

psycho_soldier wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 19:10
I bought the NeoSD Pro during the black friday sale.

Like others, I have found it to be glitchy.

Any more ideas ?
Has anyone seen the same sort of glitches ?
How long is the warranty on the NeoSD Pro ?

Thanks
I have an AES Revision 3-5 and have had the same issue. I have used both an original power supply and one that I purchased from Retro Game Cave. It's pretty disappointing that it still hasn't been fixed. Not to mention all of the other issues people are having with this very expensive product.

jjennings089

07 Feb 2020, 07:15

retro game cave is working on a newer higher amp power supply.

Return to “NEOSD and NEOSD Pro Discussion”