Metman

Working Composite Cables

29 Nov 2019, 20:50

Was anyone able to find a source of usable composite cables that actually output stereo sound? I forgot about this issue before i ordered.

I only have a model 1 Genesis, and i dont think my 32X cable will work so i am looking for something to use. All i can seem to find are the Retrobit cables and clones of it which have been mentioned (albeit over a year ago) not to work properly.

I am not interested in the component option at the moment, and i don't have any setups that would be able to use SCART cables.

Worst case scenario, if i were to get the retrobit cables for now i would still get sound out of one channel, correct?

Steven

Re: Working Composite Cables

30 Nov 2019, 04:19

I don't know why you'd want composite if you have the ability to get/use component and I know nothing about where to get Genesis 2 composite cables, but if you have an HDMI display that can support the resolution, maybe the RAD2x would work. My only HDMI display does not support anything lower than 480p, so I am not capable of testing it myself, although I might consider it if it did support those resolutions. Again, I don't know if it works. Try asking Bob from RetroRGB since he has the Genesis 2 RAD2x and I am pretty sure he has the SSDS3 as well.

I guess you could try the 32X cable. I might try mine when I get my SSDS3 just to see what happens (although I'm just going to use my HD Retrovision cable into my Trinitron or maybe the OSSC). It only has 1 audio thingy so I can only get mono anyway, but it is a real Sega cable, so maybe it will work.

Edit: RAD2x does work with SSDS3 and line doubles to 480p. Should work perfectly if your thing can support that resolution.

Metman

30 Nov 2019, 06:15

I was just looking for something cheap and fast to test everything out with before i can find and put more cash down on a pricier cable. As i mentioned before, i have a model 1 genesis so i have had no reason to look for this type of cable before now.

As far as i can tell the RAD2x cables are out of stock with no immediate info as to when they will be back. Most places seem to be out of stock of the HD Retrovision cables as well, but it looks like they may be in stock again before i get my unit..

Steven

30 Nov 2019, 07:02

Yeah, the HD Retrovision cables are expensive for sure. Castlemania expects to ship them by the 6th, it seems. They must have gone out of stock within the past day or so, as they had some maybe 2 days ago when I was looking at the price on the Saturn converter cable and to see if they had the SNES one in stock, which they never seem to.

I have a Mega Drive + Mega-CD + Super 32X, so I have the reverse problem: I don't have the Genesis 2 to Genesis conversion cable because I'm lazy and didn't want to be constantly removing my Super 32X and reattaching it just to play 32X games. The Super 32X actually makes my video quality worse, though, and since it won't take audio out of the OEM 32X converter cable, I have to run the audio through my Mega-CD or use headphones to get any audio at all. Not a big loss, but I'd like to set it up without having to sacrifice the power to half of the things in my room just to play Sega games on my CRT. Ever the air conditioning has to get unplugged, and it's been getting quite cold here recently...

My PC Engine's (by that I mean my Interface Unit's) composite is actually pretty good for composite, though, so I could see using composite for the PC Engine if I had no other choice. HD Retrovision cables were worth it, I think. I did actually try those Pound cables and they didn't work for me because of my monitor not supporting the resolution, but I guess those are also an option if you want something that's cheap, of very low quality, and don't mind using HDMI.

zabun

05 Dec 2019, 20:04

The Old Skool cables work well, according to Stoneagegamer. So those should be a safe bet.

Return to “Super SD System 3 Tech Support”