Hastor

Robo/Dennin Aleste sound issue

05 Oct 2019, 01:24

This was being discussed in general discussion but I felt like it needed a thread here. The music that plays briefly after defeating a boss in this game doesn't play unless seek time emulation is off. The first boss on easy mode is a good way to reproduce.

Is this something that can be fixed, or at least auto detected so that it can temporarily change this setting on it's own?

I've tested using an original model 1 Genesis, US game and system, but others using various hardware experience the same.

I prefer to keep this setting on both for highest compatibility across other games, as well as authenticity. Hopefully something can be done so this doesn't need to be toggled on just got this one game.

Hastor

Re: Robo/Dennin Aleste sound issue

05 Oct 2019, 02:20

This also made me think of another possible fix for stuff like this and different preferences in general. If we could have game-specific settings that were stored in the sd card, we could apply the settings we want for different games. Something like how Mame uses its default cfg file unless one exists for a specific game, which will override it. Then you only have to do it for games you don't want to use the default on.

Ultimately though I'd take any fix for this, one of my favorites, to not need to remember to toggle settings before and after playing.

neodev

05 Oct 2019, 10:08

There is a way to apply a specific option per game, but currently, it's only through a configuration file. I can tell you the exact values to write when I'm back at home next week.

Hastor

08 Oct 2019, 03:28

neodev wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 10:08
There is a way to apply a specific option per game, but currently, it's only through a configuration file. I can tell you the exact values to write when I'm back at home next week.
That would be awesome. While a firmware fix (or auto setting) eventually would be ideal, that would be a great workaround for the time being so I don't have to remember to change it back and forth.

Dampfwalze

08 Oct 2019, 10:14

Is this the final solution that we users shall write cofig files? Please not. :-(

neodev

08 Oct 2019, 15:20

The configuration file is just temporary till some per game options are added.
To force disabling seek time emulation, just create a file with the same name than the .cue file, but with the .cfg extension and write
Flags=10

Some other useful flags:
2 - Force seek time on
10 - Force seek time off
20 - Force graphics speedup off
40 - Use new CDD emulation (only required by Final Fight, so it's disabled by default)
80 - Force graphics speedup on

They are in hexadecimal, and can be combined by adding them together (force seek time on and force speedup on = 82). Of course, combining force seek time on and off will have undefined results :) . The missing values (1, 4, 8) are flags that aren't used anymore.

Also, in the past, Final Fight CD also had the force seek time off setting, but it was finally caused by inaccurate CDD emulation, that was improved, so maybe using Flags=40 also fixes this game, instead of forcing the seek time off.

Dampfwalze

08 Oct 2019, 15:50

Thank you for the flags info as an interrim solution.
But it is nice to hear that a more convenient way is planned.

Hastor

08 Oct 2019, 17:53

neodev wrote:
Would this be auto-detected per-game options, or simply the ability to add them on our own via an interface? I understand that the cart adjust some settings per-game automatically for games that need certain things on/off. Could it just recognize the game and apply these settings without need for user-defined settings, or will there always be a need for us to manually set this up once?
Regarding Final Fight, is a CFG required for it to work properly at all currently? I wasn't clear as to whether this was adjusting automatically already, or if a CFG is required for it to work properly on the current firmware? I haven't tried it yet.

GameLifter

08 Oct 2019, 18:59

neodev wrote:
To force disabling seek time emulation, just create a file with the same name than the .cue file, but with the .cfg extension and write
Flags=10

Some other useful flags:
2 - Force seek time on
10 - Force seek time off
20 - Force graphics speedup off
40 - Use new CDD emulation (only required by Final Fight, so it's disabled by default)
80 - Force graphics speedup on

They are in hexadecimal, and can be combined by adding them together (force seek time on and force speedup on = 82). Of course, combining force seek time on and off will have undefined results :) . The missing values (1, 4, 8) are flags that aren't used anymore.

Also, in the past, Final Fight CD also had the force seek time off setting, but it was finally caused by inaccurate CDD emulation, that was improved, so maybe using Flags=40 also fixes this game, instead of forcing the seek time off.
Thank you for this information! I do have a question about Final Fight CD though. The times I played it on my Mega SD I didn't experience any issues. Does this mean that the new CDD emulation is being forced for the game currently?

neodev

11 Oct 2019, 07:29

Yes. When megasd detects final fight CD, it automatically enables the new CDD.

Return to “MegaSD Tech Support”