samson7point1

Re: PCB Beveling?

12 Oct 2019, 03:20

dshadoff wrote: Oh, and rather than ask whether a card bevel is a "flaw" covered under the product warranty (as this is likely by design), you should instead be asking whether damage caused by a lack of bevel is covered. Jammed pins could *potentially* be caused by this, but I have never heard of such a report on wide-pinned systems.
Fair point.

The only time I've heard of this being a persistent and recurrent problem is on the Atari Jaguar. Evidently some of the cartridges were manufactured (accidentally) without bevels and, I believe the skunk boards may have also been without bevel and this has caused several incidents of flattened or "crushed" pins on the connector. There's anecdotal evidence of this if you read Best Electronic's ramblings about Jaguar repairs.

All of the official Genesis carts I have checked have beveled edges.
dshadoff wrote:If you could supply a reference to a manufacturing specification for Megadrive/Genesis carts where bevelling amount is specified, I'd like to review.
I'm guessing you know/suspect just as I do that Sega didn't exactly publish guidance on manufacturing Genesis carts - it's not like they wanted to encourage anyone outside their own plants to manufacture them. But the fact that the carts that Sega manufactured were beveled is evidence that it was part of the design spec. They built those games and systems as cheaply as possible. If they didn't think it was important they would not have spent the extra money on the process no matter how cheap it may have been.

mario64

15 Oct 2019, 05:26

Is TO going to fix this for those of us who have the non-beveled carts? Have they made an official statement regarding the issue?

Riz

15 Oct 2019, 16:42

Most I’ve seen are beveled, some more so than others. It’s easy enough to use some fine grit sandpaper to make it to your liking. If you aren’t interested in doing that, just sell it on eBay for a profit.

samson7point1

15 Oct 2019, 18:38

Riz wrote:
Most I’ve seen are beveled, some more so than others. It’s easy enough to use some fine grit sandpaper to make it to your liking. If you aren’t interested in doing that, just sell it on eBay for a profit.
No offense but this is not a helpful answer unless it is the official TerraOnion position of that customers attempt this and agree to repair or replace the cart if they mess it up.

GameLifter

16 Oct 2019, 19:41

I checked for beveling on mine recently and at first glance it looked like there was none at all but when looking closer I did notice a slight, and I mean very slight bevel. It looks as if when the PCB was made they started to bevel it but stopped too soon or they simply skimmed the top of where they were trying to bevel and didn't go deeper. Hopefully later revisions of the PCB will have a proper bevel to alleviate any concern about it. I'm fine with how mine is though.

mario64

16 Oct 2019, 23:25

samson7point1 wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 18:38
Riz wrote:
No offense but this is not a helpful answer unless it is the official TerraOnion position of that customers attempt this and agree to repair or replace the cart if they mess it up.
Exactly. I'm not taking sandpaper to this thing. Sheesh! It costs WAY too much. I want to know if TO is going to fix the issue for those of us with unbeveled carts. Based upon their previous handling of product issues I'm guessing not. This is just one of the risks you take dealing with them. An official response would be appreciated though

Return to “MegaSD Tech Support”