duqtito81

PCB Beveling?

21 Sep 2019, 15:42

Been seeing various discussions on Twitter about the lack of beveling on the initial run of MegaSDs, even though it was originally intended to be beveled. Recognize that if it were living in one system, just leave it plugged in and be gentle when inserting/removing. That said I'm intending to use it across multiple systems including an Mega SG, original Genesis, and a Nomad.

What can be done for us early adopters that thought we were buying a properly designed cart? Any opportunity to exchange it for a unit from the second run that is going to be properly beveled? Appreciate any thoughts.

GameLifter

Re: PCB Beveling?

22 Sep 2019, 03:30

I've seen the discussions as well about the beveling and it using ENIG instead of hard gold for the contacts. I plan to keep my Mega SD in my Mega SG as much as possible so I'm not too concerned about these issues. The discussion is still interesting though. When I examined my Mega SD after first receiving it it appeared to have some beveling on the PCB around the contacts but the PCB seemed a tad thicker than an original Genesis cartridge. It also feels like it takes a little more force to insert it into the cartridge slot of my Mega SG which was also the case for the Mega Everdrive X7 and the Master System adapter that comes with the Mega SG.

EDIT: Just looked at some pictures and video of the Mega SD and looks like I was wrong about it having some beveling. I could look at mine again but at this point I'm leaving it in my Mega SG unless I really have to remove it.

Riz

22 Sep 2019, 14:24

Cart owners posted pictures of beveled carts on twitter and this quickly became a non-issue. Some have a slighter bevel than others and if you’re truly concerned take some fine grit sand paper to the cart edge. I’ve had to do that to a few carts but the Mega SD is no problem.

Mobiusstriptech

22 Sep 2019, 15:23

How about all those Krikzz carts? Like the brand new sd2snes pro that isn't beveled or hard gold?

Mobiusstriptech

22 Sep 2019, 15:24

Also since it was mentioned the SMS adapter from analogue is not beveled either.

GameLifter

22 Sep 2019, 22:10

Mobiusstriptech wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 15:24
Also since it was mentioned the SMS adapter from analogue is not beveled either.
I just looked at mine and it has some beveling. Maybe not a lot but it's there.

duqtito81

24 Sep 2019, 02:58

Absolutely not trying to start a fight, just asking a question. That said, my SD2SNES Pro I just purchased from Stoneage Gamer two weeks ago is beveled properly.

Seren18

27 Sep 2019, 11:45

duqtito81 wrote:
21 Sep 2019, 15:42
Been seeing various discussions on Twitter about the lack of beveling on the initial run of MegaSDs, even though it was originally intended to be beveled. Recognize that if it were living in one system, just leave it plugged in and be gentle when inserting/removing. That said I'm intending to use it across multiple systems including an Mega SG, original Genesis, and a Nomad.

What can be done for us early adopters that thought we were buying a properly designed cart? Any opportunity to exchange it for a unit from the second run that is going to be properly beveled? Appreciate any thoughts.
Nothing, as there would be no chance of that due to the costs of returning for an exchange. The problem like most things is blown out of proportion, making a mountain out of a mole hill, due to selective special people that complain over the slightest thing.

samson7point1

11 Oct 2019, 23:00

I just took a look at my MegaSD cart edge connector and there is zero beveling.
ImageImage

Let's say for a moment that I'm not interested in debating whether that's a guarantee that I'm going to damage my console using it as is. If you personally think that the design specifications for cartridge connectors are just being overly cautious when they indicate a beveled edge to reduce wear and prevent inadvertently smashing pins and you're willing to risk it, then my question is not for you and I would appreciate it if you did not take this as an opportunity to declare your bravery and/or indifference.

Let's assume for a moment that the engineers and designers that make official carts with beveled edge connectors knew a thing or two about good design and that crushed pins are not just an urban myth. Let's also assume that because subsequent batches of MegaSD cartridges apparently have beveled connector edges that Terraonion also thought this was a necessary step and the fact that my cartridge is missing it is a mistake rather than a design decision.

Is it Terraonion's official stance on this that this flaw is not covered by the product warranty? Is it the official recommendation that I (a non-expert) manually try to grind a bevel into the connector edge - and I ask because an official recommendation implies that this is a "user serviceable" part and that any damage I cause accidentally would be covered by the warranty.

dshadoff

12 Oct 2019, 00:07

Interesting topic.

So, I went to my collection and looked at various cartridges from various systems, as a comment was made about there being specifications for card edges on cartridges (which I have never seen for cartridges of that era, although PC Engine HuCards definitely would have had one - but since NEC manufactured the HuCards on behalf of everybody, they didn't need to publish a standard).

Famicom: I can't see any bevel on any cartridges I have, although I do see a minor edge indent on one side, consistent with a PC Board "V-cut" (which I also see on the MegaSD).

Genesis: bevels, non-bevels, things are completely non-standard. The ones which are bevelled never come to a point (as a PCI bus card would), but rather a flat edge about half the thickness of the board.

Super Famicom: slight bevel on all; more than a V-cut, but the card edge is flat for about half of the thickness of the board.

PC Engine: everything is bevelled, significantly - and edge-smoothed. But this stands to reason (as explained below).

Most computer board edges had very little if any bevelling in the early days (i.e. prior to 1986); the bevelling seemed to be introduced when greater pressure was applied to the card edge by the connector, also for single-edge connectors (as there is reduced play if only one side contacts), and especially as pin width decreased (as the pins became significantly more fragile). This is evident on the PCI card bus (circa 1989) - the first time I saw a card-edge bevel standard published, and the PC Engine's HuCard edge (which I have personally seen jammed pins on, multiple times).

But for the wide-pinned Famicom, this wasn't originally expected to be a problem - although it may well have become one during the Famicom's life, as seen in the slight bevelling of Super Famicom games, and some Genesis/Megadrive games.

On the other hand, I did see one relatively significant variance between most Genesis games and the MegaSD: the PC Board thickness for the MegaSD seems thicker (and my callipers measure it to be 1.6mm as opposed to 1.5mm for other carts). While there is probably enough play in the double-sided card edge for standard thickness, this extra thickness would definitely benefit from some bevelling.

If you could supply a reference to a manufacturing specification for Megadrive/Genesis carts where bevelling amount is specified, I'd like to review.

In the meantime, I just broke out the sandpaper and bevelled the edge of my MegaSD slightly in the past 5 minutes. I aimed for a 45-degree angle and for the leading edge to be no thicker than about 1mm. 180 grit worked fine. And unless you're in a super-low humidity location (where static build-up might be a possibility), you shouldn't need to worry about damaging the cart.

Oh, and rather than ask whether a card bevel is a "flaw" covered under the product warranty (as this is likely by design), you should instead be asking whether damage caused by a lack of bevel is covered. Jammed pins could *potentially* be caused by this, but I have never heard of such a report on wide-pinned systems.

(And while this post is as honest, factual, and fair to both sides as I can be... I expect that I have pleased exactly nobody by posting it.)

Return to “MegaSD Tech Support”