Mobiusstriptech

Re: Buzzing noise when using MegaSD

11 Sep 2019, 06:30

That console has some serious problems. The mod work isn't the issue. You have actual rust on the board. I'm guessing it was submerged in water at some point. The first picture you shared shows rust spots all over.

RobertTwinings

11 Sep 2019, 16:07

I have seen rust point in my previous MD. it's not the problem here....
With buzzing, the problem can come from different sources : power supply, revision of the Megadrive (YES, we all know that depending of the revision of the motherboard, you can have a low or medium "hum" sound....), and ... capacitors !
Don't forget one think : A megadrive 1 is a very OLD electronic machine, now.
It's not planned obsolescence, it's just that Sega didn't think players will still use this system, roughly 25 years later !
And yes, we have made some serious progress with assurance quality, now.....

Recapping a Megadrive is not an easy task.. you need some practise !
I've seen people ready to do this job for 60 to 80 euros.
So, yes, this solution is possible but think about it : you can change the soles of your shoes, but in the end... you still have the same "old" shoes !
.... and if you have already rust inside..... :-(

As we say here in my country, this "buzzing" sound is a pain in the a*** !
The more you hear it, the more you think about it.....

I had this problem too.... I chose the "easy" solution : sell my megadrive 1 (it was a US one...) and buy a Megasg from analogue.

cheaper solution : find another megadrive (I'm sure you can find another megadrive in your area...) and ask to test it, before you buy.

Amorbis

11 Sep 2019, 19:26

Thanks for the help everyone. Looks like I'll be buying another Megadrive relatively soon.

Gummy Bear

13 Sep 2019, 22:55

Amorbis wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 19:26
Thanks for the help everyone. Looks like I'll be buying another Megadrive relatively soon.
Where abouts in the world are you?
I have a Japanese VA1 Megadrive 1 with RGB bypass that I just replaced all the caps on a couple of weeks ago.
I was going to stick it on ebay, but if you're in the UK and are interested, we could cut out the middle man.

I used it with the Mega SD for several days without issue.

Gummy Bear

17 Sep 2019, 04:40

Or not.
Whichever.

monads

17 Sep 2019, 05:21

Recapping your original genesis is highly recommended! It shouldn't be too difficult if you're handy with a soldering iron. I recapped a CDX which was a pain because of the compact size disassebly and that copper foiling!!! I hope to never recap another CDX because of!

Gummy Bear

17 Sep 2019, 20:05

monads wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 05:21
Recapping your original genesis is highly recommended!
This ^

My VA4 board wouldn't even boot with the Mega SD plugged in until I recapped it.

Return to “MegaSD Tech Support”