bumfacekilla

Backing-up Save RAM from Original CD Hardware.

08 Aug 2019, 18:07

I'm not sure if this has already been covered, but I have found a way to backup your original CD console save RAM by loading a bios on the Mega SD:

1. Load a BIOS ROM for Mega / Sega CD, preferably the one that matches the CD hardware you are using.

2. Insert a game disc and before it boots, press any button other than start to enter the CD console's built in menu.

3. On model 1 consoles. enter the 'Option' menu, on model 2 / CDX consoles enter the 'Memory' menu.

4. Copy the desired saves from Internal RAM to Cartridge RAM and power off the console.

5. Remove the micro SD from your Mega SD and connect to a PC. Inside the 'BUP' folder, there will be a SRM file with the same name as the BIOS you just loaded. This contains the saves you just copied over.

6. Copy and rename the SRM file to match the name of the ISO you wish to play.

7. Insert micro SD back into Mega SD and play.

Certain games may not support reading from Cartridge RAM, for those games copy the saves from Cartridge RAM to internal RAM using the CD BIOS' built in menu. I have used this method to transfer my original 20+ year old saves for Snatcher and Sonic CD and they work perfectly.

yoshi41

Re: Backing-up Save RAM from Original CD Hardware.

09 Aug 2019, 18:50

Thanks for sharing. :)

I copied my Shining Force CD save with your approach.

The combo Mega Sg + MegaSD works even better than Mega Sg + Sega CD, which has some random gfx glitches during battle animation. 8-)

mrsundaynight

04 Dec 2019, 02:52

I think I’m missing something here. When I have the mega sd connected to my genesis/Sega cd combo, I cannot boot anything unless I disconnect the Sega cd. How do I load the bios?

Thanks!

Steven

04 Dec 2019, 05:22

Couldn't you just copy it from internal memory to the official Backup RAM cart, dump it with the Retrode 2, and then copy that file to the MegaSD? That would be a lot easier...

mrsundaynight

04 Dec 2019, 11:20

Unfortunately, I don’t have the official RAM cart nor the Retrode 2 :(

yoshi41

04 Dec 2019, 15:03

mrsundaynight wrote:
I think I’m missing something here. When I have the mega sd connected to my genesis/Sega cd combo, I cannot boot anything unless I disconnect the Sega cd. How do I load the bios?

Thanks!

Copy the matching BIOS file (e.g. Sega CD USA for US model 1 drive) to the Mega SD memory card and run it as a ROM. This will load the BIOS for the connected CD add-on.

CD BIOS loading support has been added to the firmware a couple of months ago. If you still have the shipped firmware, do an update first.

mrsundaynight

05 Dec 2019, 01:44

yoshi41 wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 15:03
mrsundaynight wrote:

Thanks!

Copy the matching BIOS file (e.g. Sega CD USA for US model 1 drive) to the Mega SD memory card and run it as a ROM. This will load the BIOS for the connected CD add-on.

CD BIOS loading support has been added to the firmware a couple of months ago. If you still have the shipped firmware, do an update first.

Got it. Thanks a bunch!

Steven

05 Dec 2019, 10:51

I meant hypothetically, but if you got it already, I guess that works. I don't have the Retrode 2 yet, either, although I am planning on getting it to dump a few of my favourite carts, especially since my Super Nt doesn't seem to be able to do the R-Type 3 + Super R-Type cart properly and it obviously won't work with Sega carts. I don't even know if it would work with the backup RAM cart, but I don't know why it wouldn't and I will definitely try it once I get it.

bumfacekilla

06 Dec 2019, 00:58

I have a Retrode 2 and an official Backup RAM cart. Whilst the hardware itself should be capable of reading and dumping the cart, it seems that the current firmware does not support it, the cart is just recognised as a generic ROM. Also, those modern multi-carts from Retro-Bit etc (ie the Super R-Type collection) are not dumped properly by the Retrode 2 either, in most cases you end up with a dump of the game selection menu and nothing more.

Steven

06 Dec 2019, 06:07

Yes, I'd heard that the Retrode 2 doesn't work well with the Retro-Bit carts, but I figured I'd try it anyway. Too bad that it doesn't work with the RAM cart, though, and it's interesting that it doesn't when it has no problem getting and restoring saves from other carts. I don't know if the storage method is different from normal SRAM or EEPROM or whatever and I don't really care, but at least the MegaSD can do it. I don't own any Mega-CD games that can actually save aside from Sonic CD and I'm retiring my 60% functional Mega-CD because of the MegaSD. My Mega-CD's battery is dead, so I'd have to use the RAM cart to save anyway.

Return to “MegaSD General Discussion”