Pablo

Re: All shipping related issues READ THIS!!!

15 Aug 2019, 22:03

samson7point1 wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 16:58
Kev79 wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 16:21
Mr_Boo_Berry wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 13:45
I wouldn't be that surprised if the answer is a hard no. VAT/import duties are typically up to the customer importing the good(s) and the amount of import duties depends on the country. The move to Andorra was announced several months before the MegaSD announcement, but I guess some people didn't get the memo or didn't realize Andorra isn't part of the EU. If you think that's unacceptable, just deny delivery and have it sent back, plain and simple.

Honestly, paying some import duties is a small price to pay considering the many hours of enjoyment you can expect from the MegaSD.
Of course it will be hard no and usually I would be fine with paying VAT/import fees when I am import something. The difference is, when I imported my Analouge consoles, Everdrives, GScartSW etc. I knew that I have to pay it and could factor it into the buying decision.

The fact is: buyers were not informed on the order page about the move to Andorra and this would result in additional import fees for EU customers. That is the big issue here. Denying delivery and hoping you get your money back from these crooks is not really an option. Terraonion have demonstrated again and again that they are unreliable and don't care about their customers once they got your money.
I think they were naive if they didn’t expect backlash over the move to Andorra and subsequent surprise customs charges for those still in the EU. Clearly the relocation was motivated at least in part by Andorra’s tax haven status. Maybe they did anticipate backlash and just figured it is what it is and people will just have to get over it. But none of that equates to them not caring about their customers once they have their money. The drama over the SSDS3 ended in them making several redesigns, absorbing losses in order to do exchanges, engaging several outside experts and staying engaged with customers who were outright verbally abusive. That is not the behavior of a cut and run company. Don’t misunderstand me - I think it’s terrible that they stuck so many people with undisclosed customs charges and then had the audacity to blame the victim’s country as though THAT was the part of the equation that changed, however let’s constrain our criticism to the facts. There’s no indication whatsoever that they don’t fully intend to support and warranty their product with both repairs and no-cost firmware upgrades.
Then why the radio silence on the customs fees questions? Some others on Twitter have raised this with some well known retro gamers like Smokemonster, MadLittlePixel and Modern Vintage Gamer so this issue will get some exposure I bet.

samson7point1

15 Aug 2019, 23:55

Pablo wrote:
samson7point1 wrote:
Kev79 wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 16:21

Of course it will be hard no and usually I would be fine with paying VAT/import fees when I am import something. The difference is, when I imported my Analouge consoles, Everdrives, GScartSW etc. I knew that I have to pay it and could factor it into the buying decision.

The fact is: buyers were not informed on the order page about the move to Andorra and this would result in additional import fees for EU customers. That is the big issue here. Denying delivery and hoping you get your money back from these crooks is not really an option. Terraonion have demonstrated again and again that they are unreliable and don't care about their customers once they got your money.
I think they were naive if they didn’t expect backlash over the move to Andorra and subsequent surprise customs charges for those still in the EU. Clearly the relocation was motivated at least in part by Andorra’s tax haven status. Maybe they did anticipate backlash and just figured it is what it is and people will just have to get over it. But none of that equates to them not caring about their customers once they have their money. The drama over the SSDS3 ended in them making several redesigns, absorbing losses in order to do exchanges, engaging several outside experts and staying engaged with customers who were outright verbally abusive. That is not the behavior of a cut and run company. Don’t misunderstand me - I think it’s terrible that they stuck so many people with undisclosed customs charges and then had the audacity to blame the victim’s country as though THAT was the part of the equation that changed, however let’s constrain our criticism to the facts. There’s no indication whatsoever that they don’t fully intend to support and warranty their product with both repairs and no-cost firmware upgrades.
Then why the radio silence on the customs fees questions? Some others on Twitter have raised this with some well known retro gamers like Smokemonster, MadLittlePixel and Modern Vintage Gamer so this issue will get some exposure I bet.
They’re not being silent. They have already answered the question. The answer is no. They believe they provided adequate warning and that customs fees, because they are set and charged by the destination country without TO having any say in the matter, are the customer’s problem. They don’t technically bare any responsibility and that’s the stance they’re taking.

I’m not affected by it because I live in the US, but my opinion is that they’re making a mistake by not making a good faith gesture to fix this in some way. If I were them I would at least consider offering partial refunds to cover customs fees for those customers who ordered before the order page specified that the origin was Andorra. (I’m operating under the assumption that the page didn’t say Andorra until after many of the orders were placed because I’ve seen that mentioned in this thread) I would offer refunds up to whatever the margin is on the MegaSD - so if they sell for 20 Euro more than they cost to make, then I would refund up to 20 Euro for customers ordering during that window upon seeing proof of their customs charges in the EU. It wouldn’t necessarily cover the customs fees but it would share the burden and at least some people would recognize it as an attempt to make things right.

RobertTwinings

16 Aug 2019, 07:49

Don't worry samson7point1 : IT WON'T HAPPEN !

I received my "extra import fee" at the moment for 67.50 EUR... roughly 29 % more of the value of the product. :?
Well.. this is the last time i buy anything from Andorra.
As we say "you only learn from your mistakes"...

and you know what is funny here : I bought from a company based on an offshore country... a flashcard product.
And of course, 99% of the customers will use pirate games on it..... you feel the irony ?? :roll:

Pablo

16 Aug 2019, 08:45

samson7point1 wrote:
Pablo wrote:
samson7point1 wrote:

They’re not being silent. They have already answered the question. The answer is no. They believe they provided adequate warning and that customs fees, because they are set and charged by the destination country without TO having any say in the matter, are the customer’s problem. They don’t technically bare any responsibility and that’s the stance they’re taking.

I’m not affected by it because I live in the US, but my opinion is that they’re making a mistake by not making a good faith gesture to fix this in some way. If I were them I would at least consider offering partial refunds to cover customs fees for those customers who ordered before the order page specified that the origin was Andorra. (I’m operating under the assumption that the page didn’t say Andorra until after many of the orders were placed because I’ve seen that mentioned in this thread) I would offer refunds up to whatever the margin is on the MegaSD - so if they sell for 20 Euro more than they cost to make, then I would refund up to 20 Euro for customers ordering during that window upon seeing proof of their customs charges in the EU. It wouldn’t necessarily cover the customs fees but it would share the burden and at least some people would recognize it as an attempt to make things right.
Terraonion have failed to get out in front of this issue and acknowledge they dropped the ball. As a result, It is now going to play out like a slow moving train wreck as people (very slowly) receive their invoice for additional money from DHL. I bet that 90% of the people who receive these costs will never buy from Terraonion again. So no, Terraonion really have not answered the question.

samson7point1

16 Aug 2019, 14:01

Pablo wrote:
samson7point1 wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Terraonion have failed to get out in front of this issue and acknowledge they dropped the ball. As a result, It is now going to play out like a slow moving train wreck as people (very slowly) receive their invoice for additional money from DHL. I bet that 90% of the people who receive these costs will never buy from Terraonion again. So no, Terraonion really have not answered the question.
People love to complain, but it’s mostly just hot air. Most people lack the conviction and willpower to sustain a boycott. They’ll cry “never again”, but the very next shiny bauble that comes along you’ll find them lining up to buy it. I’ve watched scenarios play out like this over and over again, and as long as the company actually delivers the product it doesn’t matter what lines they cross, very few people will abide by their principles if it means losing out on the newest thing. Those handful who will, I salute, but they probably represent less than 5% of the people affected.

Pablo

16 Aug 2019, 14:22

samson7point1 wrote:
16 Aug 2019, 14:01
Pablo wrote:
samson7point1 wrote:

People love to complain, but it’s mostly just hot air. Most people lack the conviction and willpower to sustain a boycott. They’ll cry “never again”, but the very next shiny bauble that comes along you’ll find them lining up to buy it. I’ve watched scenarios play out like this over and over again, and as long as the company actually delivers the product it doesn’t matter what lines they cross, very few people will abide by their principles if it means losing out on the newest thing. Those handful who will, I salute, but they probably represent less than 5% of the people affected.
Not so much a boycott as a complete lack of trust. I won’t trust Terraonion with my money again, and nor will a significant portion of their EU customer base. By moving to Andorra without announcing to buyers, Terraonion have created a tax liability for customers and given themselves a logistical nightmare for shipping. I hope they are raking in the tax savings because a lot of people will no longer be customers, in large part because of Terraonion’s failure to address the problems they have created.

coffeebeard

16 Aug 2019, 19:45

Getting a little concerned here...

My order has sat at "payment accepted" since the beginning of August.

It seems like everyone else has tracking numbers at least - even if their order hasn't really left Andorra.

Is this normal?

Thanks.

derFunkenstein

16 Aug 2019, 19:51

That's what mine shows, paid on 7/31 at like 2AM their time. For me in the central part of the USA, it was late at night on 7/30. https://imgur.com/a/Y5wH4yW

Todd
Admin

16 Aug 2019, 20:08

Any orders from around that period should ship within the next 2 weeks or so. We are still shipping orders from within the first couple days.

derFunkenstein

16 Aug 2019, 21:01

Todd wrote:
16 Aug 2019, 20:08
Any orders from around that period should ship within the next 2 weeks or so. We are still shipping orders from within the first couple days.
Cool, so it'll arrive....

*checks calendar*

September 14-21, because "express" is 2-3 weeks right now. Which means my review will get published in early October, long after everyone's forgotten about it. That's great news.

Return to “MegaSD General Discussion”