tulkas007

Feature suggestion: Return to main menu on cold start or reset.

06 May 2020, 11:36

Currently, MegaSD starts the last loaded game when the console is reset or cold started. This is quite annoying IMO, particularly with Master System games which does not support the in-game menu and requres to hold the button on the MegaSD cart.

I'm playing on a Mega Sg which essentially does a reset when selecting "Run Cartridge" from the Mega Sg menu. With other flash cart solutions (for example the Everdrive X7) "Run Cartridge" allows the user to always return to the cart menu and quickly select another game. On MegaSD, the user is always forced to use the in-game menu key-shortcut to return to the menu which is slower and not always possible (Master System).

Anyway, this is a suggestion in good faith and I hope it's possible to implement, maybe as an option.

Thank you.

/T

Steven

Re: Feature suggestion: Return to main menu on cold start or reset.

06 May 2020, 20:38

Hold the cart button.

tulkas007

07 May 2020, 09:02

Which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I'm sitting 3m away from the console.

Todd
Admin

07 May 2020, 16:26

Go into the MegaSD options and change Boot to last game to Disabled.
That way it will boot to the menu at startup.

Disabled is the default so you must have accidentally enabled it.

Manual for reference: https://downloads.terraonion.com/public ... manual.pdf
My PMs are disabled. Please send support requests to support(at)terraonion.com.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

tulkas007

07 May 2020, 16:59

Yes but it always start last loaded game on reset (both "soft" and "hard" setting). Meaning with MS games, the only way to return to the main menu, is to use the cart button :(

A return to main menu on reset would be better imo.

Todd
Admin

07 May 2020, 17:30

Can you walk me through exactly what you are doing?

And is this specific to only Master System games?

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

tulkas007

07 May 2020, 18:59

Mostly for MS games but not exclusively... let me put it this way, a "reset to menu" feature would make it far easier to switch MD/MegaCD games on a Mega Sg since it's system menu *always* responds instantly, unlike the MegaSD's in-game menu :)

Specifically with MS games, the feature would make it possible to exit and switch games without touching the console or cart=convenience.

Todd
Admin

07 May 2020, 19:14

If you are playing regular Genesis/Mega Drive carts or CD games, you can tap UP+Start to get the MegaSD menu and from there select return to Menu. You have to make sure the "In Game Menu" option is enabled.

And an in game menu for SMS or 32X games is not possible as described in the manual.

When you power on your Mega Sg console and select Run Cartridge, it should take you straight to the MegaSD menu providing the "Boot to last game" is disabled.

tulkas007

07 May 2020, 19:51

Todd wrote:
If you are playing regular Genesis/Mega Drive carts or CD games, you can tap UP+Start to get the MegaSD menu and from there select return to Menu. You have to make sure the "In Game Menu" option is enabled.
It doesn't always respond though - usually during boot or startup, sometimes require several attempts varies from game to game.
Mega Sg's reset ("Run Cartridge") via it's menu works instantly and every time. Do you own a Mega Sg unit to test on?

Edit: Sometimes the in-game menu crashes or freezes the system anyway and a reset is required anyway. So double the steps to return to the menu in some cases :(

Todd wrote:
And an in game menu for SMS or 32X games is not possible as described in the manual.
Again, I'm not looking in-game menu support for MS - "just" the MegaSD to return to main menu when console is reset. This works on Everdrive X7, so it's weird if it can't work on this also.

Todd wrote:
When you power on your Mega Sg console and select Run Cartridge, it should take you straight to the MegaSD menu providing the "Boot to last game" is disabled.
True - that's why I suggest a "return to menu on reset" feature :D

Steven

08 May 2020, 08:14

Instances in which the v blank interrupt are disabled cause the menu to not be functional. At certain moments in games like Thunder Force III and Herzog Zwei, as well as in the entirety of CrazyBus, the menu doesn't work. I have no idea why the hell you'd want to play CrazyBus, but if you want to, you can't open the menu. Herzog Zwei also has some crashing issues with the menu. That's just how it is because of the way that those games work.

Return to “MegaSD Discussion”