SuperAkuma

Re: Issue with Bang Bead

19 Aug 2019, 18:47

Thank you yoshi41 for the DM. I extracted the .NEO file to the root of my SD and get the same result where it bypasses this slot during run time. My gut is telling me there's a hardware issue here, would you agree or are there additional troubleshooting steps here that I'm not considering? Seems like the conversion question is now off the table as the .NEO file you shared works on your side and was not re-converted. Thoughts?

yoshi41

19 Aug 2019, 18:57

Well, neodev is now probably the better option to help you.

I assume you're using it in a cab, right? Most of the issues are related to the power supply.

And which are the other games you have issues?

SuperAkuma

19 Aug 2019, 19:13

yoshi41 wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 18:57
Well, neodev is now probably the better option to help you.

I assume you're using it in a cab, right? Most of the issues are related to the power supply.

And which are the other games you have issues?
Breakers Revenge is another. I can make a list, but the odd thing is most of the larger titles that I've tried work. Seems somewhat hit or miss.

yoshi41

19 Aug 2019, 19:39

I have only 1-slot boards (Omega and FZ in Astro City), everything works fine.

If I remember correctly, I've seen posts from people struggling with 4-slots boards. Did you try to remove the carts from the other slots? Changing the slot?

But yes, it's strange that only certain games are affected. Maybe neodev has other ideas.

SuperAkuma

19 Aug 2019, 21:35

yoshi41 you're a genius! I took out the other 3 carts and moved the NeoSD from slot 1 to slot 3, power up and... BOOM... Bang Bead now works. I'll try some others shortly. So obvious, but perhaps I'm just too close to this. Any ideas of what might be the cause? I'll do some further testing but I'm hoping that I can put the other 3 carts in.

SuperAkuma

19 Aug 2019, 22:16

In further testing I've found that if I put the other carts back in the results are different. I've placed the NeoSD in slot-4 now and it will boot Breakers Revenge (previously this wouldn't boot in slot-1 with other slots populated) however I noticed right away the character sprites were not drawing on the demo screen and once I get to the player select screen it freezes, goes to scrambled screen and then moves on to the next cart (ie: does not play). I reached out to verify this would work on a 4-slot machine and was told it acts just like any other cart, only now it's apparent there is a compatibility issue.

SuperAkuma

19 Aug 2019, 22:44

Wanted to provide some feedback on further testing. I now have all 4 slots populated and my initial issue seems to pop up again when I insert League Bowling (original cart) into one of the other slots. I've also found the NeoSD is much more consistent when I insert it into slot #4. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the cabinet linking feature built into League Bowling. I'll continue to update this thread with any additional findings.

yoshi41

19 Aug 2019, 23:14

I never owned a 4-slot, but it looks like it just switches to the next slot if there's an exception/crash.

Maybe you "just" have exceptions in some games.

There's another user with exceptions in certain games and a test firmware is mentioned...

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=236

neodev should be able to help you.

A new firmware version is overdue anyways. NeoSD Pro runs already with fw1.07.

Edit: An exception error screen in only displayed with Unibios. Stock bios just "crashes".

SuperAkuma

20 Aug 2019, 00:59

Things are progressing however I've noticed that after 1 cycle through all carts the unit will now do a reboot once it gets to the NeoSD in slot #4. I've made a request for the 1.07 FW in hopes this has been corrected as it loses a lot of the appeal when I have to do a hard reset should the cabinet sit in demo for more than 1 cycle (which is every time).

neodev

20 Aug 2019, 11:31

This is a known problem with multi slots, let me explain.
It happens only wirh a few games, the one that have 1MB P1 + 1MB P2 (or 2MB single P rom). The problem is that neosd will enable banking on the 2nd MB area but those games don't have banking hw so they never reset the banking when selected. This should not be an issue, but on multislot, when a banked game is selected, neosd will see the bank switch writes even if it's not the selected slot and so, when selecting the game, it has an invalid bank and never sets the proper one.
Neosd pro firmware has this isue corrected, but I haven't backported it to normal neosd yet.
Also the issue depends on the game next to the neosd. If it's a well behaved banked game, that leaves bank 0 set before calling into bios, it will work. Kof99 and garou are especially bad behaved :)
Which games do you have installed in your mvs (order is important)? Maybe it can be worked around by setting them in a different order.

Return to “NEOSD and NEOSD Pro Discussion”