26 Apr 2019, 03:29

PCEngine model: (Supergrafx ) test on both 1 and 2

Power Supply: ( original NEC )

Video cable: (RGB Scart cable)

SD card brand: (Sandisk Ultra cards. )

Region modded?: (no)

SSDS3 (B)

In Game Trigger : Test on both on and off

Problem or Issue: ( on the Mahjong game start. press button 2 menu pop out select any will have audio issue then games will crash.)

fernan1234

Re: Super Real Mahjong P V unplayable

30 Apr 2019, 17:54

I just tested this and can confirm that there is an incompatibility with this game. As OP indicated, once a game is started, when selecting an action with the button 2 menu, it appears that incorrect dialogue files are played and overlap with the correct dialogue (basically it sounds like the girl talking is going crazy, when you should just hear a single word), and eventually the game soft locks.

neodev

30 Apr 2019, 21:19

Ok, that looks like some ADPCM implementation issue, maybe a missing end interrupt causing it to play beyond the limit.

fernan1234

01 May 2019, 02:39

Thanks for looking at this so quickly, neodev! Is there a chance a firmware upgrade will fix this? Every finding like this and a fix is really valuable as it may also fix a dozen other untested games that have similar implementation issues.

neodev

01 May 2019, 09:54

Yes, it should be fixable in firmware. I'll have a look. Also, I,'m thinking it could be caused by the too fast seek time, I'll try enabling the seek time emulation first.

neodev

03 May 2019, 21:56

I had a look, and it requests to play an ADPCM sample of length 0, so when the ADPCM code plays it, it substracts 1 from the size, and checks if it's 0 to know if it has finished, but as it substracts the value before checking, and the variable is an unsigned 32 bit integer, it ends underflowing and wrapping around to 4 billion, so it plays the entire adpcm buffer over and over :)
I don't know if it's supposed to say anything, or it's just a game bug. It doesn't help that I can't play majhong or read japanese :),so I don't know what I'm supposed to do in the game. I press the II button, a menu appears, I can move around, but I don't know how to select an option, or what each option does.

fernan1234

04 May 2019, 04:15

It is supposed to only say the command that you selected. So if you fixed it you should only hear a single word/sound after you select an action in the button II menu. For example, if you choose the first action you should hear her say "pon", with the third one, "kan". Right now you'll instead hear lots of random words/phrases due to the bug you analyzed.

Here's also the only clip I found of what normal play looks like (ignore the french guy commentating):

Return to “Super SD System 3 Tech Support”