ericlecarde

Re: MegaSD FAQ (Questions and Troubleshooting)

14 Oct 2020, 05:27

Hello,

I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out before I posted here. Hope someone can help me here. Basically, all Genesis, Master System, and 32x games work except my Sega CD games. When I select "Sega CD" folder from the MegaSD menu it loads the Sega CD boot screen then goes to the Sega CD, CD player app. No folders ever show up as I have them on the flash card, can't figure this out for the life of me.

Below is what I have done so far, any ideas? I've almost given up after several weeks of troubleshooting and searching for answers. :( Thanks for any help you can provide.

- Genesis model 1 used, no 32x or Sega CD plugged in
- Correct region bios in root BIOS folder (Verified working with bin+cue (below) in Fusion emulator)
- Game bin+cue in its own folder on root e.g. "\Sega CD\Game 1" (Verified working with BIOS (above) in Fusion emulator)
- Region BIOS set in options menu
- Latest MegaSD update installed
- SD card formatted to fat32 (Also formatted in exfat but no change)

jjennings089

14 Oct 2020, 06:12

ericlecarde wrote:
I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out before I posted here. Hope someone can help me here. Basically, all Genesis, Master System, and 32x games work except my Sega CD games. When I select "Sega CD" folder from the MegaSD menu it loads the Sega CD boot screen then goes to the Sega CD, CD player app. No folders ever show up as I have them on the flash card, can't figure this out for the life of me.
If I remember right the Sega CD games go in the root of the SD card as in there are no sub folders for SegaCD games.

Relikk

14 Oct 2020, 17:31

jjennings089 wrote:
If I remember right the Sega CD games go in the root of the SD card as in there are no sub folders for SegaCD games.

No, every CD game should have its own folder.
ericlecarde wrote:
Hello,

Below is what I have done so far, any ideas? I've almost given up after several weeks of troubleshooting and searching for answers. :( Thanks for any help you can provide.

- Genesis model 1 used, no 32x or Sega CD plugged in
- Correct region bios in root BIOS folder (Verified working with bin+cue (below) in Fusion emulator)
- Game bin+cue in its own folder on root e.g. "\Sega CD\Game 1" (Verified working with BIOS (above) in Fusion emulator)
- Region BIOS set in options menu
- Latest MegaSD update installed
- SD card formatted to fat32 (Also formatted in exfat but no change)

Were the CD games added after you first added everything else to your card? If so then they might not be showing up because the database hasn't been refreshed. When you want to enter your Sega CD folder, press start. It'll refresh the database for that folder and then your folders should show up.

ericlecarde

15 Oct 2020, 05:08

jjennings089 wrote:
ericlecarde wrote:
I'll be darned, This was the problem. All other games work in their respective folders "Genesis", "32x", etc.. Sega CD will not work this way, the games must be on the root within seperate folders. Awesome! Thanks guys!

NooNaN

19 Oct 2020, 06:21

ericlecarde wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 05:08
I'll be darned, This was the problem. All other games work in their respective folders "Genesis", "32x", etc.. Sega CD will not work this way, the games must be on the root within seperate folders. Awesome! Thanks guys!
I have the same issue. Everything working fine except that Sega CD games will load the CD console. I don't think the above is correct, though. I've had Sega CD games working for months and played many of them from a "Sega CD" folder that has game folders underneath. The MegaSD reads the games fine.

Has anyone else had this issue and resolved differently? It can't just be the root folder thing.

ericlecarde

22 Oct 2020, 04:07

I would love to know how to get this to work. I find it very messy to have all my Sega CD Games in their own folders on the root. The menu is very cluttered this way.

Hopefully this thread will help solve the issue.

jjennings089

22 Oct 2020, 07:33

All CD games go in the root. There is no way around that.

Relikk

22 Oct 2020, 12:54

jjennings089 wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 07:33
All CD games go in the root. There is no way around that.

No, this is nonsense. Individual folders for CD games do not have to go in the root of the card. You can have a CD, or whatever, folder on the root with all of those individual game folders inside of that. If you absolutely have to have them in the root and that's the only way that they will work for you then there's something wrong with your card or your cart, or you're not refreshing your database when you're adding to or moving stuff around your card.

ericlecarde

23 Oct 2020, 04:16

You are correct but the answer was not clear at first (and 2nd and 3rd) glance. After searching around It did seem I was missing something. I kept seeing people say "refresh your database by pressing Start instead of A" or similar context. I did this many times but nothing ever changed.

What fixed the issue is moving all the Sega CD Games (In their own folder) all into a "Sega CD" folder on the root then select the folder by pressing start, then pressing start again.

I know it sounds silly but you need to click the folder you want to update (i.e. "Sega CD") then click Start again to "Update" the folder itself. Then everything showed up. Maybe clicking start from the main screen works but I didn't go back to test this.

I wish the system updated folders automatically with an option to turn auto syncing off in the settings. This would totally eliminate this frustration that I realize many people go through on initial setup.

I hope this helps others and they can find this thread. Thanks for all who helped out!

Relikk

23 Oct 2020, 11:55

ericlecarde wrote:
You are correct but the answer was not clear at first (and 2nd and 3rd) glance. After searching around It did seem I was missing something. I kept seeing people say "refresh your database by pressing Start instead of A" or similar context. I did this many times but nothing ever changed.

What fixed the issue is moving all the Sega CD Games (In their own folder) all into a "Sega CD" folder on the root then select the folder by pressing start, then pressing start again.

I know it sounds silly but you need to click the folder you want to update (i.e. "Sega CD") then click Start again to "Update" the folder itself. Then everything showed up. Maybe clicking start from the main screen works but I didn't go back to test this.
Relikk wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 17:31
Were the CD games added after you first added everything else to your card? If so then they might not be showing up because the database hasn't been refreshed. When you want to enter your Sega CD folder, press start. It'll refresh the database for that folder and then your folders should show up.

I already said that. :lol:

ericlecarde wrote:
I wish the system updated folders automatically with an option to turn auto syncing off in the settings. This would totally eliminate this frustration that I realize many people go through on initial setup.

I hope this helps others and they can find this thread. Thanks for all who helped out!

The idea behind the database scan is to save time, otherwise every time you enter a folder with a large amount of files it's going to take longer than if the OS was reading what's already in there from the database file. Auto scanning will essentially be the same as it would be without the database to read from. Entering a folder and displaying what's in it is instantaneous now, and once you scan your folder you don't have to do it again unless you've added something else to it.

Return to “MegaSD Discussion”