city41

NeoSD Pro USB protocol and tools

19 Jan 2019, 02:36

I am excited NeoSD Pro is so close! I suspect just like NeoSD, the tools for it will be Windows only.

Is there any information that can be provided on the USB port to enable writing tools for other OSes? I would need to make such a tool as I don't use Windows.

neodev

Re: NeoSD Pro USB protocol and tools

19 Jan 2019, 10:31

The tool is .net based, but it will be distributed with the source code, so it can be ported to linux or mac.
The usb works as a CDC device, so it appears as a standard serial port. Currently you can only transfer from PC to neosd pro, but also reading neogeo memory is planned for future firmwares.
Writting only works on the RAM slot. You load a game to ram from the menu, and while running there is a command that freezes the game (sort of unibios menu pause), once frozen, you can upload data to any of the areas (P,V,S,M,C), and then unfreeze, and the game will continue with the new data. You have the option to reset when unfreezing (changing P data usually will require that) and also to halt the z80 on ram loop (updating the z80 code requires that, otherwise the z80 will run garbage). You can also adjust some internal neosd registers like the P banking mode, S banking, separated or multiplexed V roms, rom sizes...

Another feature, is that the USB port will notify the currently loaded game name, ngh, screenshot id... So you can for example, connect a rpi or similar and dynamically change a marquee on your cab (for MVS mainly).

We are open for suggestions on more uses of the port.

fenikso

19 Jan 2019, 11:04

Those are some pretty cool features. Wish I knew how to code. Should be interesting to see the stuff the homebrew community comes up with, with such a powerful new way to quickly test code.
It's high time cymbaline.

city41

19 Jan 2019, 18:46

Thanks neodev for the detailed reply. This tool sounds fantastic. I'm really excited.

Once the source code is available I'll help out getting it working on other OSes. Possibly just use Mono or .NET Core.

Return to “NEOSD and NEOSD Pro Discussion”