amerika

Re: NeoSD Pro booting to white screen

04 Jan 2020, 18:55

I have an 3-6 revision AES and I do not appear to have the same issue others have had with my NeoSD Pro.

Is there a commonality among AES revisions that has an issue with the spacer? Also, did anybody measure the spacer to see if there is a difference between a non-working one and a working one. I can go measure mine.

bodgit

10 Jan 2020, 10:56

I think I have the same problem with my recently received NeoSD Pro on a 3-6 AES, except I get a blue screen, same as some other people have mentioned.

I initially thought it was my SD card as it only ever did it when I had the card inserted and didn't seem to do it with no card inserted, however that was just pure luck, I eventually managed to get the same blue screen with no card inserted.

Re-seating the cartridge once or twice will get it booting again.

fredjss

14 Jan 2020, 13:27

Hi everyone,

I don't know this post, but I had the same problem a few days ago. So I decided to remove the plastic part.

Now, I will tried to increase the spaces for the boards...

https://youtu.be/mJ-8B4LZiIM

Thanks for this idea.

To Terraonion to make correct next time...

fredjss

14 Jan 2020, 14:20

terraonion_admin wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 16:31
Ok, i asume most of you that had the issue already have applied this fix, but i made a video explaining how to apply the fix anyways.

Remember : this only happens with a small percent of the shipped cartridges and my guess its because some tolerance on the cartridge slot at the AES console.

From now we will ship all cartridges with the spacer on the new position but if you have a cart and you are not experiencing any issue, i would just let it how we have shipped it.

https://youtu.be/6aqIOKBw_bY
Really the "Terraonion solution" doesn't work...

lunarpotato

15 Jan 2020, 23:35

Just made an account to chime in and increase the number of affected cartridges, as my cartridge/shell was exhibiting the same behaviour too. And to document it somewhat for posterity.
At first I was considering to try Alex's solution but I believe Utgardaloki76 is more on point on this. So I think Alex's approach is one right solution but the wrong answer overall.

To confirm, I compared the functionality of the cartridge between PCBs only and PCBs + spacer (not even the other parts of the shell), as Utgardaloki76 did in their post. In fact, I compared it before I even read that post, so I was extremely confused until then, since the PCBs booted fine on their own, but after just inserting the spacer it didn't...
(Oh! Also, it didn't boot up to a white screen but a hyper-pixelated version of the NEOSD-Menu, like you could make out the UI elements for the list (white border rectangle or lines in upper region) the artwork (fully coloured square lower left) and the buttons prompts (fully coloured rectangle lower right), but only the "background" of it. It kinda reminded me of an overblown Atari-era game. I wish I took a photo of it, since it was really weird, kinda spooky even since it also showed some overall noise which scanned over the picture fast, then slow until it went black after like a minute or so. I think the colours were unstable too. EDIT: In fact it's a lot like the video fredjss posted.)

Anyway, again, with just the PCBs it works as expected. Insert the spacer (i.e. _just_ the spacer) between the two boards and boot it again, and it won't work, no matter how high or low the spacer is.
Therefore, the culprit wasn't the insertion length or shortage thereof, but the spacing _between_ the boards.
Alex's solution just may work, but only because Utgardaloki76 explained why in their post: the raised spacer can alleviate the strain between the PCBs, and may consequently provide better contact for the socket.
To double-double-check I also just compared (marking with a fine sharpie) how much the PCBs do get inserted with and without spacer. No difference, as you would expect now.

So, Terraonion, I would suggest to remove or at least comment Alex's solution before anyone starts digging in the wrong place (obligatory call to rewatch Raiders of the Lost Ark there). I'd also revise the blanket decision to ship all future cartridges with the spacer raised, since it apparently isn't the right fix for everybody, but then again I'm in no position to do so. At least we got to hear a charming Spani... - excuse me - Andorran-English accent (sorry :P).

As for the right answer (at least imo) look at Utgardaloki76's post.
Regarding measurements, the spacing between my board connectors is pretty much 10mm and the spacing between the two spacer slots was 11mm. The measurements are from centre to centre. It's a usual NEO-AES board btw.
(Those serve as "tangible" but by no means accurate measurements as they were taken with a simple ruler.)

So I had to shave off around 1mm worth of plastic, or eyeballing .5mm per slot respectively towards the middle. To make it easier I also cut parts off the plastic "nubs" (perpendicular in relation to the slots, probably intended for stabilisation, four in total) since I had to shave along the whole side of the slot. I never manufactured things like this, and have no knowledge of any allowed tolerances but 1mm still seems a little bit too much. And if it's not a product of manufacturing error it's a design error, but I'll leave that to smarter gals&guys.

In any case, I got it working this way. Incidentally I first suspected the power supply (formerly 2.5A) and am now in possession of an overpowered 4A one, but that's on me.

So in the end, for other users experiencing the same: Double-check yourself if the "official" solution (raising the spacer) is even the right way to go, and if not read Utgardaloki76's post and go from there.

Cheers

Max_P0

16 Jan 2020, 08:14

I have the exact same issue. I am not too keen on damaging my cart yet.

I received my card and I have 2 Horizontal Mark on mine.

I am still disappointed. I paid almost 1000 Canadian dollars with duty charges.

longlong27

16 Jan 2020, 11:43

I had the same issue but mine is worse that I did all the solution provided but it just will not boot ever.

It played fine for 2 hours and started going crazy and then it wunt boot ever again.

bodgit

16 Jan 2020, 13:02

bodgit wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 10:56
I think I have the same problem with my recently received NeoSD Pro on a 3-6 AES, except I get a blue screen, same as some other people have mentioned.

I initially thought it was my SD card as it only ever did it when I had the card inserted and didn't seem to do it with no card inserted, however that was just pure luck, I eventually managed to get the same blue screen with no card inserted.

Re-seating the cartridge once or twice will get it booting again.
I've had chance to now try the fix of raising the spacer and it seems to fix the problem of the cartridge occasionally booting to a nonfunctional blue screen. I've (re)inserted the cartridge a few times and it's always booted to the NeoSD menu first time.

However, I have no sound. Games play fine but there's just no sound whatsoever. So, I opened up the cartridge and inserted the naked PCBs into the AES and now everything works properly, which suggests the gap maintained by the spacer is just a fraction too wide.

It looks like I will need to file the slots in the spacer to give the PCBs some wiggle room, which I'm loathed to do.

Todd
Admin

16 Jan 2020, 17:03

Everyone with spacer issues: I am checking with Alex to see where we are at on a permanent solution for this.
My PMs are disabled. Please send support requests to support(at)terraonion.com.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

Return to “NEOSD and NEOSD Pro Discussion”