Apollodesigns

Re: NeoSD Pro booting to white screen

29 Dec 2019, 21:38

I got my NeoSD Pro working as well. Just removing the spacer did not work for me. It did start up, but began resetting at random times. I also had to remove the whole shell to get it working as it's supposed to. I hope you guys figure something out, as this is not really a long term solution.

Perkinson78

31 Dec 2019, 04:15

Just got mine today sadly having the same issue ill see if what others have tried works.

fille1976

31 Dec 2019, 09:44

Seems like the whole batch have this problem.
I ordered mine with black friday,got it a week now and it worked out of the box,no problems at all.
So its strange many have this issue.

Utgardaloki76

31 Dec 2019, 10:42

I had the same issue. Got mine yesterday. I received the same white box at boot up (with a few single coloured boxes inside of it). Now after a night of frustration I did the following after finding Todd's info:

Per Todd's recommendation I took the spacer out. Then all worked. Nothing fully worked prior to that with problems ranging from menu as well as game actually booting but no sound all the way to white main box with smaller single coloured boxes inside of it and no booting. What never worked even after I took the spacer out however was the juke box which confuced me as hell in the beginning while trying to get my bearings as to what might be wrong. At that point - when ever managing to boot as well as having sound working the game I tested (Magician Lord) had channels missing within sound tracks in the juke box which was what I was testing sound with in the beginning making me believe I didn't have working sound even in game. Well I did so I wrote the juke box problem off as a bug or at the very least unrelated to the problem at hand for reasons that will follow.

So I took the spacer out whereby all started working except the juke box (same problem as before). Then I removed the whole shell which yielded the best result (more stable) except the juke box still lacked the same channels in said game.

The final solution to get to booting as well as to have sound while keeping the spacer was to do the following...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A0RfO0 ... sp=sharing

I moved part 1 above the 'notch' so above part 2. It used to be below - closer to the opening for the copper connections making it impossible for some connections to be made due to the spacer covering up too much of the copper connections at the base or so I guess. I then had to massage the cartridge downward with a little bit of force for a little bit of time in order to apply enough pressure making the plastic of the now still-in-place-spacer to decompress and readjust ever so slightly and then the copper connections seemed to reach. It wasn't completelly stable in the beginning but now after having pressed and worked the cartridge and spacer plastics down a few times it is stable. At least for now.

The basic design might need some reworking. This has mostly worked ever since with my particular cartridge (a few hours in now) but there are tollerences in manufacturing and the functionality seems fragile and disconnected a few times in the beginning resulting in different above described malfunctions so this might not work for others. You might have a fraction of a millimetre more plastic in the way and less luck because of it. Without the spacer I don't seem to have any trouble but I want the spacer in place.

terraonion_admin
Site Admin

31 Dec 2019, 16:27

Utgardaloki76 wrote:
I had the same issue. Got mine yesterday. I received the same white box at boot up (with a few single coloured boxes inside of it). Now after a night of frustration I did the following after finding Todd's info:

Per Todd's recommendation I took the spacer out. Then all worked. Nothing fully worked prior to that with problems ranging from menu as well as game actually booting but no sound all the way to white main box with smaller single coloured boxes inside of it and no booting. What never worked even after I took the spacer out however was the juke box which confuced me as hell in the beginning while trying to get my bearings as to what might be wrong. At that point - when ever managing to boot as well as having sound working the game I tested (Magician Lord) had channels missing within sound tracks in the juke box which was what I was testing sound with in the beginning making me believe I didn't have working sound even in game. Well I did so I wrote the juke box problem off as a bug or at the very least unrelated to the problem at hand for reasons that will follow.

So I took the spacer out whereby all started working except the juke box (same problem as before). Then I removed the whole shell which yielded the best result (more stable) except the juke box still lacked the same channels in said game.

The final solution to get to booting as well as to have sound while keeping the spacer was to do the following...

I moved part 1 above the 'notch' so above part 2. It used to be below - closer to the opening for the copper connections making it impossible for some connections to be made due to the spacer covering up too much of the copper connections at the base or so I guess. I then had to massage the cartridge downward with a little bit of force for a little bit of time in order to apply enough pressure making the plastic of the now still-in-place-spacer to decompress and readjust ever so slightly and then the copper connections seemed to reach. It wasn't completelly stable in the beginning but now after having pressed and worked the cartridge and spacer plastics down a few times it is stable. At least for now.

The basic design might need some reworking. This has mostly worked ever since with my particular cartridge (a few hours in now) but there are tollerences in manufacturing and the functionality seems fragile and disconnected a few times in the beginning resulting in different above described malfunctions so this might not work for others. You might have a fraction of a millimetre more plastic in the way and less luck because of it. Without the spacer I don't seem to have any trouble but I want the spacer in place.
Hello,

Thats what i was wanted to test at my side but i tried several carts here and two different AES and i wasn´t able to duplicate the issue.
We shipped about 220 carts since the black friday and so far we got 6 reports from this issue, the thing is that i personally tried every cart before ship it on my own AES, so now i am wondering if those 6 units that reported issues have some defect on the spacer at all (is it blended or does it has extra plastic the rest it dosent ? ) or is it an issue on the spacer/shell plastic that only affected to this 3% so far ?

Either way, if this fix dosent works for someone, we will replace the cart, the shell or whatever its needed, i just would like to know what exactly fails (shell or spacer) and if a complete replacement fixes it, before starting moving packets from one side to another.

EDIT : it looks like there are 6 users that reported us this issue so far

othapeace

31 Dec 2019, 17:08

Hi to Terraonion team,
I join this customers for this known issue.
I received december 24th my Neo SD pro, thank you for the fast delivery.
I cannot to play with because I've had a blank screen with my Neo Geo AES rev 3.6 .
Yesterday, I tried your tip for remove all spacers, everything is working well, but my cartridge is not complete.
If all is working well, I must to remove all spacers as well as the usb/SD card/Jack plug covers.
It is not easy to insert my Neo SD pro in my NEO GEO's connectors, everything moves.

Terraonion support can we have new spacers for our cartridges please ? We deserve it because we have invested to Neo sd Pro who is really expensive. We have bought for the quality of finished product, not for remove spacers for play with.

This is the minimum of our waiting !

My mega sd works very well, thank you ! I am satisfied for my order globally excepted for my spacers of my Neo SD PRO.

Kind regards.

OL

echo

31 Dec 2019, 18:29

Hello,
I have make this account only to this bug...
I have although contact the support by mail...

I have a NeoGeo AES3-4 and had on the first use of this nice card this problem. I have no problems with my old NeoSD (without the Pro).
Today I try out the tips and here my results.

* Used the cartridge as it came from you => I get a white screen.
* Used only the PCB in my NeGeo => success.
* Used with shell but without the spacer and without screws => success.
* Used with shell and spacer on the original place without screws => I run into the white screen
* Used with shell and spacer on the upper place like in the post before and without screws => it runs.
* Used with shell and spacer on the upper place and screws => I get the white screen again. If I press on the cartridge and turned the neogeo on again I get some graphics blocks.

I thing if I redo this test I will get on one or other position other results. If I should make more test ...

William95170

31 Dec 2019, 23:34

Same problem with the spacer with NeoGeo 3.6
The spacer is too low and so the cartridge does a bad contact

The only solution is to remain it

Well done for testing terraponion.....

cgallant1

01 Jan 2020, 03:34

Utgardaloki76 wrote:

I tried this solution earlier. It allowed my cart to boot but I could not fully close the shell due to some support tabs on the shell for the spacer. I decided it was best not to try to force it shut and gave up on this. I totally agree with not wanting to leave the bottom of the cart open. Beyond allowing things to easily enter inside and possibly affect the PCBs, it seems to reduce the structural integrity of the shell on the bottom. I did not notice sound issues myself but I have been using the console on an old CRT since I am at my parents for the holidays. I will have to check this though.

I am happy to see this is being investigated. Hopefully the root cause can be tracked down quickly and a resolution for it issued. I absolutely love the cart otherwise.

Return to “NEOSD and NEOSD Pro Discussion”