cgallant1

NeoSD Pro booting to white screen

27 Dec 2019, 08:06

I just received the NeoSD Pro today. Needless to say I was excited to try it. I already owned the standard edition NeoSD before selling it to buy this. I popped the SD card I had used with my NeoSD into this and turned on this system. After a split second flash I was greeted with a solid white screen with no sound. The green light on the cart will light up when the system is on. I have tried multiple things and have not found a solution to get the cart to boot thus far.

Things I have tried:
  • Booting with and without an SD card inserted
  • Booting with the START button held
  • Booting with reset.cfg on the root of the SD card (The file does disappear after booting)
  • Trying legit carts (All of which work without issues)
  • Cleaning the cart contacts
  • Cleaning the console cart slot
Configuration:
  • Unibios version: 3.3
  • Adapter: Neo Pow3
  • Board revision: 3-6

Any assistance would be appreciated! Thanks...

Todd
Admin

Re: NeoSD Pro booting to white screen

27 Dec 2019, 15:23

Can you try removing the spacer between the 2 pcbs at the bottom of the cart?

we recently ran into this issue where the spacer for some reason isn't allowing the pcbs to sit all the way down into the cart slots.

If you take out the screws of the case, you should be able to wiggle out and remove the spacer at the bottom.
My PMs are disabled. Please send support requests to support(at)terraonion.com.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

Velcropants

27 Dec 2019, 18:59

Hi Todd/team,

to jump on this, I'm having the same issues. Although it's booting to a blue screen.

I tried removing the screws to remove the spacer as suggested and the only way I can get it working is by removing the case completely. This means there is a bare PCB in my console. I tried putting the case back on and trying again but ran into the same issues.

I am running a Japanese AES 3-6 with the RGB bypass mod. (As recommended by Retro RGB.) All original games work fine and I am using an original power supply.

This appears to be an issue with the entire shell case which is disappointing. Will you be shipping out replacement cases as this issue has been previously identified?

Cheers

Velcro

cgallant1

27 Dec 2019, 21:12

Todd wrote:
27 Dec 2019, 15:23
Can you try removing the spacer between the 2 pcbs at the bottom of the cart?

we recently ran into this issue where the spacer for some reason isn't allowing the pcbs to sit all the way down into the cart slots.

If you take out the screws of the case, you should be able to wiggle out and remove the spacer at the bottom.
Reporting back on my experience. That does seem to be my issue. Taking the spacer out allows my cart to boot. I am going to try to reseat it later to see if I can fit the spacer back inside and have it still boot.

My situation is no where near as bad as the person above but I am wondering about the long term solution. Leaving the bottom of the cart open doesn't seem wise. Are the dimensions of the spacer off a bit?

After I try replacing it I will post again.

Apollodesigns

28 Dec 2019, 10:16

Received my NeoSD Pro today and ran into the exact same issue, no mods, original PSU, all retail games run flawlessly, the NeoSD Pro just outputs a blue screen. I will try to remove the spacer this evening, but I have to admit that this is a very disappointing start for such a pricy cart. One question comes to mind though: What about warranty? Will it be void for tampering with the product?

cgallant1

28 Dec 2019, 10:32

After fiddling around with this for a couple of hours I have made the following conclusions:
  • The cart will absolutely not boot with the spacer in place.
  • Without the spacer there is approximately 5mm more of the cart contacts available to be inserted into the AES console slots.
  • There are support tabs for the spacer on the shell itself that prevent moving the spacer deeper into the shell.
  • Assembling the pieces of this cart takes an extreme amount of patience

I am quite disappointed to be honest. I expect things to be a bit finicky with retro consoles but this seems to be a design flaw with the shell/spacer. If nothing else I can use it without the spacer inserted but as I stated before this doesn't seem like a great idea long term and dampens the premium feel that this is meant to have.

Todd
Admin

28 Dec 2019, 18:39

This hasn’t been an issue in the past and I’m not sure why all of a sudden it’s became an issue.

I’m checking with Alex on this to find out what’s going on.
My PMs are disabled. Please send support requests to support(at)terraonion.com.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

terraonion_admin
Site Admin

28 Dec 2019, 19:27

Hello,

We dont know whats happening with the shells.

All i know is that i tried all carts we have shipped (assembled with the shells on my own AES console) and those were working fine so something happens on some AES that dosent happens on my own AES.

Before deciding what to do, we need to understand whats happening.

Patience, its saturday and i am kinda tired about working every single hour of my life.

Let us work, determine de issue and bring a solution.

cgallant1

29 Dec 2019, 02:19

terraonion_admin wrote:
28 Dec 2019, 19:27
Hello,

We dont know whats happening with the shells.

All i know is that i tried all carts we have shipped (assembled with the shells on my own AES console) and those were working fine so something happens on some AES that dosent happens on my own AES.

Before deciding what to do, we need to understand whats happening.

Patience, its saturday and i am kinda tired about working every single hour of my life.

Let us work, determine de issue and bring a solution.

Sure, that sounds fine. For the time being I will use the cart without the spacer.

fille1976

29 Dec 2019, 12:00

My neosd pro works fine out of the box.

Return to “NEOSD and NEOSD Pro Discussion”