flashlogic

Black screen on my fresh NeoSD

19 Dec 2018, 15:18

Hi.

All I could get from my new NeoSD (received 1 week ago) is a black screen. My SD card is a 16GB ScanDisk, I used the software to add a rom on it. Pluging the SD card on left side of the cartridge. No try to update the firmware. Trying several times to turn on/off the Neo Geo, removing and pluging again the cartridge... but nothing, whereas it works fine with any other game.

Did I miss something ? What could happen and what could we do ?

Todd
Admin

Re: Black screen on my fresh NeoSD

19 Dec 2018, 17:39

Couple questions: Are you using the original PSU with it? Might be going bad and even though original games work, the NEOSD is more demanding and a faulty psu could cause these kind of issues.

Also, is the console modded or overlocked?

flashlogic

19 Dec 2018, 17:59

I had suspicion too about the PSU, because my model is japanese and the PSU is not the original.

But no modding, neither overclocking.

I am going to try the NeoSD on another console. If things go well, do you recommend any PSU for japanese model ?

Todd
Admin

19 Dec 2018, 18:06

Ahh, that makes sense. A lot of third party power supplies are junk. Especially the ones that are sold in game shops.

A replacement psu will depend on model of AES and if it's a 5 volt or 9 volt model.

flashlogic

19 Dec 2018, 18:29

My model is Pro-Pow 5v. The PSU is this one:

https://en.retrogamesupply.com/collecti ... eo-geo-aes

terraonion_admin
Site Admin

19 Dec 2018, 18:47

flashlogic wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 18:29
My model is Pro-Pow 5v. The PSU is this one:

https://en.retrogamesupply.com/collecti ... eo-geo-aes
Hello,

The required PSU model is on the back of the AES in a sticker, example :

USE PRO-POW3 AC ADAPTOR ONLY

What the label on the back of your AES says ?

Also, this is my personal own recomendation : avoid cheap weightless chinese ac adaptors, those always give bad results, not just on AES but on any electronics at all (based on my own experience).

EDIT :

here its a picture of the psus we got in stock here

Todd
Admin

19 Dec 2018, 18:53

terraonion_admin wrote:

Also, this is my personal own recomendation : avoid cheap weightless chinese ac adaptors, those always give bad results, not just on AES but on any electronics at all (based on my own experience).
Agreed.

flashlogic

19 Dec 2018, 18:59

terraonion_admin wrote:

Pro-Pow.

Tomorrow I will check in a shop if we could get the NeoSD work and look for a new PSU.

Any issue with the NeoSD if it didn't run properly the 1st time ?

terraonion_admin
Site Admin

19 Dec 2018, 19:41

flashlogic wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 18:59
terraonion_admin wrote:

Pro-Pow.

Tomorrow I will check in a shop if we could get the NeoSD work and look for a new PSU.

Any issue with the NeoSD if it didn't run properly the 1st time ?
Not really,

All units are tested before shipping, i know i say this a lot of times but we plug every unit 3 times on a neo geo before shipping it, this is a fact

First one is to program the cart, the serial number is printed by the tv screen on a barcode on this stage and captured with a barcode reader. If this screen wont show, there is no way a cart to have a serial number at all and continue, and the cart needs to be working on the neo geo in order to print the barcode on the tv.
Seccond one is to put the firmware on it, on this process info is printed on the tv screen.
Third one is to boot the cart and flash kof2k3, if kof2k3 works fine (no glitches and sound ok) the cart goes to the shipping queue, else is not shipped and goes back to factory. (BTW, we detele the game before ship it)

So its really hard that a non working unit arrives to a customer (atlest a unit that was not working here), it may get damaged on transport or who knows what could happen to it, but its really rare that a faulty cart ever arrives to a customer.

For reference, we had users with an AES where the neosd was not working and the causes were :

- Cheap PSU
- User modded the console changing the oscilator (to overclock it)

I would say the psu issue happened about 4-5 times and the overclock happened one time at least (if i remember well)

The usual email we get with any issue is : "original carts work" and the first thing that comes to our mind is : this dosen´t means much cause sometimes things work even the setup is wrong, having original games working dosen´t proves the setup to be correct at all, just that the console works.

My advice : just try a different psu. We have NEOSDS in stock and if the cart is not working we will replace it, but chances about a faulty cart are really small and chances about a wrong psu are high (based on our experience)

Also, another thing to have in mind is : the plug of some psus don´t have the right diamter so even if you can plug it on the aes and the console boots, the conection is not right and neosd resets there (i know its not your issue, but this happened to me before, it was replacing the psu with an original one and the issue was gone)

I hope this gives you some light about the issue

flashlogic

22 Dec 2018, 11:29

OK everything is fine with the new PSU :)

Return to “NEOSD and NEOSD Pro AES Tech Support”