Todd
Admin

Forum changes, updates and extensions

18 Apr 2018, 05:51

This thread will be updated with any changes or updates to the forum. You can report issues with any of these changes in this thread.

4-17-2018

Installed Media Embed Plug In. From now on you can embed Youtube videos, Vimeo videos, Tweets and a whole host of other media right in your forum post without requiring any special tags. Just drop the URL in the post and the forum software does the rest.

donluca

Re: Forum changes, updates and extensions

18 Apr 2018, 18:59

Does it work with images as well? that would be a real life saver!

Todd
Admin

18 Apr 2018, 19:01

donluca wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 18:59
Does it work with images as well? that would be a real life saver!
Sadly it doesn’t. You will still need to use [img] tags for that. Though I might look into that.

donluca

18 Apr 2018, 21:33

eh, that would be really nice, although having this working for videos and other media already is pretty great.

Also, let me know if you find a way to implement it as I'd love to use this on my forum as well.

Todd
Admin

25 Sep 2018, 20:36

9-25-2018

We were hit with a wave of spambot account creations and posts over the course of the last 4 to 5 days. It started around Thursday last week. I have deleted probably 100+ accounts since then. On a normal day to day basis I end up deleting 2 or 3 accounts and the associated posts along with them. However starting late week we were hammered by a wave of fake account creations.

I have since made changes to the registration process to make this more difficult for the spam bots. I have changed the Account Activation to "by admin" rather than by email. I have also changed the spambot countermeasures from using those easy to spoof images to a Q and A style check system.

We are also looking into other spambot solutions that might be rolled out depending on how well this change works.

Ideally, I would like to switch activation back to "by email" once we see if the Q and A check works. After a couple of days we should have some data on this.

edit: I have disabled the activation by admin and reverted back to user email about 1 week after implementing it and switch user registration to a set of challenge questions. This change has resulted in a 99% drop in spam (not scientific).

Todd
Admin

04 Dec 2018, 19:02

12-04-2018

Inbox quotas raised to 200 vs 50 that it was previously.

Max file size for attachments has been raised to 4 megabytes for both the forum and private messages.

Return to “Feedback and Suggestions”