arromdee

Will MODE on Dreamcast require hacking your power supply?

12 Jun 2020, 04:19

With Dreamcast ODEs, there's a problem with power supplies getting hot which has to be solved by replacing the power supply or disabling the 12v on the power supply. Will this be necessary for the MODE?

Todd
Admin

Re: Will MODE on Dreamcast require hacking your power supply?

12 Jun 2020, 04:24

No. MODE is designed to work properly with both original PSUs and 3rd party ones.
My PMs are disabled. Please send support requests to support(at)terraonion.com.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

Greg2600

13 Jun 2020, 20:34

Todd wrote:
No. MODE is designed to work properly with both original PSUs and 3rd party ones.
You might have misunderstood the question. Removing the Dreamcast GD-ROM drive removes the 12V load on the power supply. The PSU continues to supply that voltage, and since it has nothing to use it, the result is potential overheating and gives off maybe an ozone smell. Does MODE draw that 12V load somewhere?

Todd
Admin

14 Jun 2020, 05:51

Greg2600 wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 20:34
Todd wrote:
You might have misunderstood the question. Removing the Dreamcast GD-ROM drive removes the 12V load on the power supply. The PSU continues to supply that voltage, and since it has nothing to use it, the result is potential overheating and gives off maybe an ozone smell. Does MODE draw that 12V load somewhere?
MODE provides a dummy load on the 12v rail thereby keeping the original PSU properly regulated unlike GDEmu and others. MODE doesn't require the 12v at all, so if you use a 3rd party solution that doesn't have a 12v rail it will still work correctly.

So, no, I understood the question. 8-)

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

Greg2600

14 Jun 2020, 19:35

Well that answer is what I was looking for. :D I was thinking I'd have to install a Noctua Fan or something like that to take the load. I wasn't interested in removing the 12V regulator from the PSU because I use the modem for Dreampi gaming.

Todd
Admin

15 Jun 2020, 06:11

The Noctua fan is still a good idea since the DC in general does get very warm and the noctua is significantly quieter than the stock fan.

Return to “Feedback and Suggestions”