ChopstickSamurai

Dreamcast: Gigawing (USA/JPN) & Gauntlet Legends (USA) not working?

20 Aug 2020, 20:03

I got my second MODE in this week for my Dreamcast, and ran into trouble with a couple of games. These are Gigawing (USA & JPN) and Gauntlet Legends (USA). I'm using a bin/cue Redump set, and I haven't been able to get either of these games to work. They both act like they are booting, and then boot back into the MODE every time after the Dreamcast boot sequence. If I fiddle with the settings such as turning off in game reset, game load speed as normal, and GD-ROM seek times: then they will both loop the bootup sequence but not actually load the game. I then tried GDI Redump images of all three games and had the same exact problems.

I then decided to try the Europe region GDI Redump images of both of these games, and to my surprise they work just fine. Gigawing even has a 60hz mode for us NTSC folks. :) But I thought this behavior was strange so I figured I'd post here about it in case anyone else has encountered this problem. I searched the forum but didn't see this mentioned, so I wanted to make sure this wasn't a problem just with my MODE. So far everything else I have thrown at it was worked just fine.

Thanks in advance!

yoshi41

Re: Dreamcast: Gigawing (USA/JPN) & Gauntlet Legends (USA) not working?

20 Aug 2020, 22:58

Gauntlet probably needs a region patch.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1724#p9300

And Gigawing is one of the games which only works with VGA.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1724#p9311

Hopefully neodev finds a solution for these RGB incompatible games.

schmosef

21 Aug 2020, 04:03

Just tested Gigawing (USA) and Gauntlet Legends (USA) using Redump GDI rips running off a SATA HD. Both work great. No issues.

I'm using a composite video cable with a 2X-Classic. I have an Akura on the way.

Credit 00

21 Aug 2020, 07:51

Gigawing - Scart ossc doesnt work
Gigawing- VGA ossc works and looks amazing

The one system I've ditched the Scart and gone for VGA.

ChopstickSamurai

21 Aug 2020, 09:56

Thanks a lot for the replies. I was unaware that some games are incompatible with RGB. I'm using a Retro-Access SCART cable running into a Sony PVM. I appreciate the links Yoshi, and thanks for checking out these images on your MODEs!

I do find it interesting that the Euro versions work fine though, so I'll have to try that for other games that give me trouble to see if they work. Worst case senario I'll just bust out the composite or s-video cable. Oh the horror! :lol:

Thanks again for the good information everyone!

yoshi41

21 Aug 2020, 21:29

Indeed, even SoA and SFA3 PAL versions work fine with RGB. But no 60Hz support unfortunately.

But still better than composite/s-video hell. :twisted: :lol:

OmegaPrime

Re: use PAL Patcher 2.0a By Megalex to patch those RGB incompatible games

11 Sep 2020, 02:32

Please check out my first post in the MODE forums on a working Dreamcast Program/Utility for Windows, which fixes the RGB problem with most of the Dreamcast games you are having a problem with.

It may also fix other titles that need RGB fixing? Please try and list in my post on games you have RGB patched using the utility.

Link:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1832

Regards,

Return to “MODE Discussion”