jp_flynn@hotmail.com

Re: Saturn games with no music, or very loud static noise

22 Aug 2020, 23:45

While definitely not a guarantee for all, I have a sneaking suspicion a lot of these issues are related to failing caps or regulators on the PSU.

Televicious

18 Sep 2020, 04:44

I have used redump images, gone from a san disk SD to a san disk SSD and back, replaced mainboard and PSU caps, substituted the power supply to mode and also the mainboard, and replaced and taped the ribbon cable. Streamed music static is still there. I put the optical drive back in and the static went away. I'm kinda just saving the MODE for when I get to my other saturn or maybe pick up a dreamcast down the line if it doesn't work right in that either. Other than that, this saturn is getting a different ODE when my number comes up for that. Despite all the technical assistance the terraonion team have given it's not improved and I'm not into the idea of purchasing a power supply designed by one of their technicians for an extra 100 bucks when I've already tried a power brick that should have been more than sufficient. Pretty bummed about the MODE.

jp_flynn@hotmail.com

18 Sep 2020, 10:45

Televicious wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 04:44
I have used redump images, gone from a san disk SD to a san disk SSD and back, replaced mainboard and PSU caps, substituted the power supply to mode and also the mainboard, and replaced and taped the ribbon cable. Streamed music static is still there. I put the optical drive back in and the static went away. I'm kinda just saving the MODE for when I get to my other saturn or maybe pick up a dreamcast down the line if it doesn't work right in that either. Other than that, this saturn is getting a different ODE when my number comes up for that. Despite all the technical assistance the terraonion team have given it's not improved and I'm not into the idea of purchasing a power supply designed by one of their technicians for an extra 100 bucks when I've already tried a power brick that should have been more than sufficient. Pretty bummed about the MODE.
It sounds like you've done just about everything you could. It seems like a good 95% of people who use the MODE with their Saturn have had a good experience, but for whatever reason, there's some Saturns out there that just don't want to cooperate no matter what people try... Makes me wonder if there's rogue consoles out there that randomly got different quality resistors, transistors, or whatever else on the board that just don't like the MODE for whatever reason.

I rarely see too many complaints about the MODE with the Dreamcast, so it seems like some Saturns are just really finicky.

Return to “MODE Discussion”