8-bitbishop

Saturn games with no music, or very loud static noise

14 Jul 2020, 13:56

I'm having 3 issues.

#1: Some games do not work, and load directly to the CD player

#2: Some games load without any music

#3: Some games load with very loud static noise, instead of music. SFX work fine.

Todd
Admin

Re: Saturn games with no music, or very loud static noise

14 Jul 2020, 14:51

What images are you using?

If you can post a couple pictures of the folders contents we can diagnose.

If you have any that have static instead of music, it likely to be MP3 audio track which isn't supported.

We generally recommend Redump images.
My PMs are disabled. Please send support requests to support(at)terraonion.com.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

Televicious

21 Jul 2020, 23:46

I'm having this same issue. 21-pin Saturn. Tried both ext. and int. 5V. The ribbon cable seems to be responsive to this static issue. The static is coming from the MODE. Sounds like a grounding issue. Though also when starting Primal Rage the intro video sound is completely missing.

Todd
Admin

22 Jul 2020, 01:16

Televicious wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 23:46
I'm having this same issue. 21-pin Saturn. Tried both ext. and int. 5V. The ribbon cable seems to be responsive to this static issue. The static is coming from the MODE. Sounds like a grounding issue. Though also when starting Primal Rage the intro video sound is completely missing.
What images are you using? Are you using Redump images?

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

Televicious

22 Jul 2020, 02:48

It's only streaming audio that has static. It's like there's a missing audio line filter in the "CD-rom". I'm using both images I made. multi .bin .cue and other back ups I've found. It affects any game that is streaming audio, be it in video or BGM. If the music is loaded up and not streaming there is no issue.

Televicious

29 Jul 2020, 01:43

So I just did a full cap kit on my Saturn to try and resolve the static issue, but there is still static coming through on certain types of audio on the 21 pin saturn. Games that it shows up in are Primal Rage, C&C, Magic Carpet, Quake, Tomb Raider, and many others. Some games it does not appear, I'm guessing these are games where the BGM is programmed rather than streamed off the disc. The static triggers when the background music begins to play. It sounds much like popping when a record has dust on it.

Also just to note, my saturn board revision is 837-11076-02 dated 1996.

Todd
Admin

29 Jul 2020, 01:54

Have you joined our Discord to report this?

Televicious

29 Jul 2020, 01:56

For sure, talked to you on there. I just figured this was more of a forum post to document/report the issue rather than troubleshoot. Also, if you'd like me to test out firmware to resolve this, I'm down.

TokyoRebirth

29 Jul 2020, 12:35

@Todd

Without creating a new thread entirely, I would like to add to the "problem list" something too.

For whatever reason, in the game Dark Savior (Saturn), the game often pauses. Like when I would normally push the Pause-Button. I'm not sure if that is related to the MODE or not, but I've tested different (and new) controllers and the problem is still there. So it may relate to the MODE...? If you have encountered a problem like that before, maybe it helps to know that Dark Savior is one of the it-works-meh games.

RevQuixo

29 Jul 2020, 15:18

TokyoRebirth wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 12:35
@Todd

Without creating a new thread entirely, I would like to add to the "problem list" something too.

For whatever reason, in the game Dark Savior (Saturn), the game often pauses. Like when I would normally push the Pause-Button. I'm not sure if that is related to the MODE or not, but I've tested different (and new) controllers and the problem is still there. So it may relate to the MODE...? If you have encountered a problem like that before, maybe it helps to know that Dark Savior is one of the it-works-meh games.
How far into the game do you hav to go to see this? I'm playing the intro sequence right now (working my ay through the ship) and don't have an issue.

Return to “MODE Discussion”