alucard1978

Re: HDD recommendations

22 Aug 2020, 12:54

If you pay close attention to the manual, you'll see they use a Crucial SSD. That's the route I went with my Dreamcast install + added an SD card extension so I can update firmware and sideload new games without removing the case.

Credit 00

25 Aug 2020, 04:21

On a 21 Pin JP white Saturn I have a Kingston 480GB SSD working just fine without using the EXT power. I thought I'd try a few different models but I'm that happy with this setup and it's staying this way.

All thumb drives and sd cards I've tried a re working fine. Tried 2 different Sata HDD"S and neither worked without the EXT, both 7200 and seagates.

ChopstickSamurai

25 Aug 2020, 10:50

I have a Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD in my Saturn and a 2TB in my Dreamcast. Both work great, and can be had cheaply on Amazon. I didn't see the need to spend more on a SSD and I'm glad I didn't. Hope this helps!

Credit 00

25 Aug 2020, 10:56

ChopstickSamurai wrote:
I have a Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD in my Saturn and a 2TB in my Dreamcast. Both work great, and can be had cheaply on Amazon. I didn't see the need to spend more on a SSD and I'm glad I didn't. Hope this helps!
Yeah my seagates work fine with the extra power directly from the psu and I don't see any reason to not use them except I had the SSD just sitting around. In fact everything I plug in works, I just separated the power whether it's direct from the saturn mobo or psu. In all honestly I'm tossing up whether to order another for the dreamcast or keep using the GDemu. Amazing product, the ssds3 blew my mind and this is another winner.

ChopstickSamurai

26 Aug 2020, 22:30

Credit 00 wrote:

Yeah my seagates work fine with the extra power directly from the psu and I don't see any reason to not use them except I had the SSD just sitting around. In fact everything I plug in works, I just separated the power whether it's direct from the saturn mobo or psu. In all honestly I'm tossing up whether to order another for the dreamcast or keep using the GDemu. Amazing product, the ssds3 blew my mind and this is another winner.
Nice! I have a clone GDemu but after using the MODE in my Saturn I knew I had to have one in my Dreamcast as well. :lol: I haven't tried my Saturn HDD without the power cable, I just installed it right off the bat and it worked, so if it's not broken... :D

Credit 00

27 Aug 2020, 10:09

ChopstickSamurai wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 22:30
Credit 00 wrote:

Nice! I have a clone GDemu but after using the MODE in my Saturn I knew I had to have one in my Dreamcast as well. :lol: I haven't tried my Saturn HDD without the power cable, I just installed it right off the bat and it worked, so if it's not broken... :D
I love this Mode device and the ssds3, The urge to put one of my seagates into the DC is too strong to resist. I never thought the day would come that I would actually own such a thing on the PCE or SS.

RetroEmulationNation

02 Sep 2020, 11:03

God of Bored wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 17:34
RevQuixo wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 16:36
As the Saturn doesn't have active cooling, we tend to recommend SSDs. That being said the full redump collection is a little over 1Tb. There are lots of duplicates in that set though so with a little trimming you can get everything unique.
I have a Samsung Evo 860 1TB. I played for 3 hours yesterday and the SSD was very hot to touch. Hopefully that's not a issue?
Agreed...
The left side of my Saturn is warm to the touch after an hours' gameplay
I am using a 160GB Hitachi hard drive that was originally from my PS3 Slim

I am considering switching to just using microSD altogether and ditch the SATA connection
Check out my YouTube channel: Retro Emulation Nation

ChloeIsFab

06 Sep 2020, 13:33

Agreed...
The left side of my Saturn is warm to the touch after an hours' gameplay
I am using a 160GB Hitachi hard drive that was originally from my PS3 Slim

I am considering switching to just using microSD altogether and ditch the SATA connection
[/quote]

That's where the power supply is. It is perfectly normal for it to be warm.

Greg2600

09 Sep 2020, 03:02

ChopstickSamurai wrote:
Hmmm, so a standard spinning drive in the DC will work okay with the standard PSU? I gotta imagine it might need a 2nd fan, no?

Return to “MODE Discussion”