ShadowofBob

MODE Dreamcast: Improvement - Change soft reset to BIOS to load up MODE Menu

07 Jul 2020, 00:48

V1.00 R07 NTSC-U Dreamcast Application

When using A+B+X+Y+Start to sort reset to leave a title currently you goto the Dreamcast BIOS. Pressing 'Play' reloads the last loaded game as it's still in the 'virtual drive'. It'd be nice be able to go back into the Mode menu in case you want to change titles instead of have to power cycle. Suggest adding in ability to toggle what image is kept in the 'virtual drive' so you could get to the mode menu when soft reset occurs. Having an option to load last title at the top of the Mode menu would also be a nice addition.
Last edited by ShadowofBob on 08 Jul 2020, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

RevQuixo

Re: MODE Dreamcast: Improvement - Change what image loaded from 'virtual drive' on soft reset to BIOS

07 Jul 2020, 05:36

That's how a real DC works. The only way to hijack that is to install a reset wire. This can be done directly to the reset pad on the DC or via a connection made via DCDigital. There is no other way to do it via a "stock" system. The MODE after all is only a FPGA recreation of the GD-ROM controller.

Mobiusstriptech

Re: MODE Dreamcast: Improvement - Change what image loaded from 'virtual drive' on soft reset to BIOS

07 Jul 2020, 06:05

If you do the advanced install with the JST9 connector, you can reset back into the MODE menu.

ShadowofBob

07 Jul 2020, 16:09

RevQuixo wrote: That's how a real DC works. The only way to hijack that is to install a reset wire. This can be done directly to the reset pad on the DC or via a connection made via DCDigital. There is no other way to do it via a "stock" system. The MODE after all is only a FPGA recreation of the GD-ROM controller.
I realize that, my thinking that it somehow would be able to detect a soft reset to bios and remove/change what disc was "loaded". On GDEmu w/ GDMenu I believe it functioned like the suggestion so just thought it might be possible here. My memory might be fuzzy though so maybe it just went straight to the menu when soft resetting from a game's title screen and didn't goto the BIOS first. Not sure what software/hardware configs allowed that or if it was was just a convenient glitch so maybe it isn't possible on MODE. It was a convenient feature to switch games though.
RevQuixo wrote: That's how a real DC works. The only way to hijack that is to install a reset wire. This can be done directly to the reset pad on the DC or via a connection made via DCDigital. There is no other way to do it via a "stock" system. The MODE after all is only a FPGA recreation of the GD-ROM controller.
Good to know about the JST9 connector. I know there's a solution if you have the DCDigital installed to use it's UI to trigger a disc swap, can it also reset to the MODE menu?. I don't have DCDigital though so I was more curious about other solutions. I'm sure more info will be exposed w/ the updates to the manual.

Mobiusstriptech

07 Jul 2020, 17:02

DCDigital has native reset to MODE menu support without any additional soldering.

ShadowofBob

07 Jul 2020, 19:12

Just to follow up on this as I think my original request is not as clear as it could be. What I actually am looking for is to change the 2nd Soft Reset functionality. The 1st Soft Reset(A+B+X+Y+Start) in most games takes you to the main menu of the title loaded. A 2nd Soft Reset from the games title screen currently brings up the system menu. It'd be nice to be able to have the 2nd Soft Reset bring you back to MODE menu somehow if possible. GDEmu did this by having the option (reset_goto = N) to set what disc to reset to so that upon soft reset it would detect the reset and set what disc to load regardless of previously loaded title. Most people would set this to 1 which was where GDMenu was stored and it would bypass the system menu/bios to load up that image. Would be much appreciated if a similar thing could be done on MODE so that no power cycling or hardware mods would be required to change games from the controller.

Greg2600

10 Jul 2020, 07:25

ShadowofBob wrote:
GDEmu did this by having the option (reset_goto = N) to set what disc to reset to so that upon soft reset it would detect the reset and set what disc to load regardless of previously loaded title. Most people would set this to 1 which was where GDMenu was stored and it would bypass the system menu/bios to load up that image. Would be much appreciated if a similar thing could be done on MODE so that no power cycling or hardware mods would be required to change games from the controller.
I brought this up several weeks ago.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1529&p=8706#p8624

ShadowofBob

10 Jul 2020, 07:34

Greg2600 wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 07:25
ShadowofBob wrote:
GDEmu did this by having the option (reset_goto = N) to set what disc to reset to so that upon soft reset it would detect the reset and set what disc to load regardless of previously loaded title. Most people would set this to 1 which was where GDMenu was stored and it would bypass the system menu/bios to load up that image. Would be much appreciated if a similar thing could be done on MODE so that no power cycling or hardware mods would be required to change games from the controller.
I brought this up several weeks ago.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1529&p=8706#p8624
Good to know. I think it's important to understand how GDEmu achieves this and if that can be replicated by MODE. GDEmu is able to sense a 2nd level soft reset and when this occurs it changes the "disc" loaded to what a user sets in the config file and then it either skips the system menu/bios (or more likely it bypasses saved system settings) and forces it to auto start the newly loaded disc. Seems like if MODE can detect the reset it could potentially change the image loaded like GDEmu does to the MODE menu. But perhaps there's a hardware difference between the two that prevents this.

RevQuixo

Re: MODE Dreamcast: Improvement - Change soft reset to BIOS to load up MODE Menu

10 Jul 2020, 14:52

The request has been made to neodev.

Return to “MODE Discussion”