themisterfalcon

Re: MODE - Slow Audio

05 Jul 2020, 00:37

RevQuixo wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 22:41
I talked to neodev (the programmer) and he definitely would like you to check your cables. Apparently the cd-rom clock sends signals to the motherboard and that can cause the slow audio issues. Do you happen to have the part number of your cd assembly too?
I've checked the cables numerous times. Maybe I should hit them up with some 90% alcohol to clean the connections.

CD model is EXL-P604. Happy to take photos of anything if it helps.

Thanks for the help fast responses :)

RevQuixo

05 Jul 2020, 04:21

themisterfalcon wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 00:37
RevQuixo wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 22:41
I talked to neodev (the programmer) and he definitely would like you to check your cables. Apparently the cd-rom clock sends signals to the motherboard and that can cause the slow audio issues. Do you happen to have the part number of your cd assembly too?
I've checked the cables numerous times. Maybe I should hit them up with some 90% alcohol to clean the connections.

CD model is EXL-P604. Happy to take photos of anything if it helps.

Thanks for the help fast responses :)
Okay I've passed along the info. He's in Spain so probably won't here anything until tomorrow at the earliest. Hopefully the new firmware will be up in the next few days and we can start whittling down possibilities. There are lots of Saturn revisions each with their own timings so it is just a matter of dialing it in I'm sure.

RevQuixo

05 Jul 2020, 14:44

Send me a DM with your serial. Neodev wants to have you try some test firmware.

alucard1978

07 Jul 2020, 00:59

You might have a leaky cap that is causing voltage issues in your system. My Dreamcast wasn't reading about 75% of the GD-ROMs I had and, after replacing the caps in the PSU, the thing works better than new. Since the MODE uses the same power interface as your Saturn CD-ROM unit, you may have undercurrent issues causing the failures.

themisterfalcon

07 Jul 2020, 19:39

RevQuixo was super helpful and was able to send me a 1.01 firmware update.

Upon applying the update, before a restart, games seemed to run faster briefly.

However after restarting the unit, things seem to be stable and running at correct speeds.

Next up I will be loading more games on. If I run into anything else I will be sure to report back.
alucard1978 wrote: You might have a leaky cap that is causing voltage issues in your system. My Dreamcast wasn't reading about 75% of the GD-ROMs I had and, after replacing the caps in the PSU, the thing works better than new. Since the MODE uses the same power interface as your Saturn CD-ROM unit, you may have undercurrent issues causing the failures.
Thanks for the leaky cap tip as well. Could very well need a servicing on the PSU regardless. It's easy to forget how old this hardware is...

RevQuixo

07 Jul 2020, 21:32

And the official firmware is now out..should the same as you are running though. :)

MrKsoft

14 Jul 2020, 15:59

I wanted to report that I am encountering a similar audio pitch issue on my Saturn (Model 2, CD assembly EXL-P604) with Firmware 1.01R4. When first plugged in, the audio is pitched higher than normal, and every time I reset the system it lowers a little. It never exactly hits normal though, then it dips slightly below and stays there. The pitch does seem to be affected by whether I am using the Ext 5V power or not, but neither setting produces the right pitch. The actual MODE functionality seems fine, games run without any issues, no drive detection problems using an external HDD, just the audio pitch is incorrect.

I would guess at this point that caps are probably the most likely thing to look at? I suppose it's possible the MODE may just be pushing it a bit too hard; the system previously worked fine with CDs and a modchip (I did remove the modchip when installing the MODE).

EDIT: Update, this may be a ribbon cable problem. Mine had previously been bent around due to the orientation of the modchip I had installed, and that had been in there for a good 7-8 years. Releasing that tension to use the MODE seemed to be causing poor connectivity, as I could flex the cable to affect the pitch. For now, I securely taped it down in a "working" position. Ideally I will try to find a replacement, the cable itself looks pretty standard.

Stoat

07 Sep 2020, 21:41

In case others are also experiencing this problem, I encountered the same thing when I got my MODE recently and I think I've finally figured out how to fix it (after several false starts). At the very least this worked for me, and hopefully it will work for others as well. In short, the solution is: tape. Specifically, taping down the 21-pin cable to the metal plate covering the motherboard, pretty much everywhere the you can between the MODE and the socket on the Saturn motherboard.

When I first installed my MODE, after I booted it for the first time I noticed that the pitch of the audio during the boot sequence sounded odd, and even wavered a bit towards the end. I double-checked the connections (including the 21-pin cable) and while it seemed to get a bit better, it still sounded a bit off. The next day, however, it sounded considerably worse, with it being most notable with the opening cinematic of Shining Force III, where the audio was playing notably slower than normal. In fact, it wasn't just the audio, it seems that the entire opening cinematic played slower than normal, oddly enough.

I looked for solutions online and saw people mention that the audio pitch would waver when pressing on the 21-pin cable. I tried it, and sure enough, the pitch drastically changed by just pressing on the cable a tiny bit. Holding the cable down against the metal plate covering the made it sound better, and I noticed when I installed the MODE that there had been a piece of tape holding the cable against the metal plate, so I replaced the old, worn tape with a new piece, and that seemed to solve the problem.

Unfortunately after a few hours the audio started sounding strange again, even though the tape was still securely in place. So I looked for pictures online, figuring that perhaps the positioning of the tape and cable needed to be precise and attempted to match what I saw. I adjusted the positioning of the tape and cable, and again it seemed to fix it. Given the positioning of the cable, I thought perhaps it was an issue with the connection to the motherboard socket, but regardless it seemed to work... but only for about two hours. I tried it again, and the audio was again off. I tried putting another piece of tape on the cable, positioning it to ensure a good connection with the motherboard socket, which again seemed to fix it... but only for a couple of hours again.

At this point I was thinking that perhaps the cable was faulty. So I ordered a brand new replacement cable from DigiKey (part # 732-5099-ND, if anyone is interested). I replaced the original cable with the new one, without taping anything down just to see if it worked at all, and... the audio was now much HIGHER in pitch than normal. And once again, pressing on the cable caused the audio to drastically waver. In replacing it I also determined that the socket on the motherboard seemed to grip the cable quite well, dispelling my assumption of connection issues. Regardless, holding the cable against the metal place again seemed to fix the sound, so I folded the cable against the metal place the same way the original cable had been, taped it down, and it seemed to work... but only for about two hours. Came back, and it wasn't working again.

This time I decided that if it wasn't the socket, and it wasn't the cable, then it was just the positioning of the cable against the metal place. And thus I decided to just tape down every bit of the cable that was over that metal place between the MODE and the motherboard socket. And this time it seems to have held. It's been nearly two days and the audio has been working fine. I have no idea why this happens, or why taping it down fixes it, but it seems to work. There might be a specific "sweet spot" where you need to tape down the cable for it to work reliably, but every time I tried it would work for a couple of hours and then screw up again.
It's also likely that my original cable was fine, it was just a matter taping it down, but the replacement cable works fine as well, so that's what I'm using.

Return to “MODE Discussion”