themisterfalcon

MODE - Slow Audio

04 Jul 2020, 18:44

MODE showed up yesterday, install was fairly simple.

I am however noticing that music and sometimes sound effects in games seem to be running at a slower speed than they should. Even the Saturn boot sound is "off". This issue repeats with both MicroSD and SATA drive options. I have tried creating my own rips from discs, as well as rips from other sources. They all seem to have the same problem.

Space Harrier Sample: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ztU2BvZsYZaARV1B6

Radiant Silvergun Sample: https://photos.app.goo.gl/eD2SPbpuSbnJouWa8

Am I overlooking something?

Todd
Admin

Re: MODE - Slow Audio

04 Jul 2020, 19:25

What region is your console and the games you are playing?
My PMs are disabled. Please send support requests to support(at)terraonion.com.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

themisterfalcon

04 Jul 2020, 19:57

Japan console, Japan region games. Starting video mode: NTSC, Video Output: Auto, NTSC

Oddly enough, when I changed the dead backup 2032 battery, all the audio seemed to start working correctly again? Super puzzling...

Updated Space Harrier Sample: https://photos.app.goo.gl/4fSzMxkTMyFg9WYn6

Todd
Admin

04 Jul 2020, 19:59

Try unplugging and replugging in your CD data cable on both ends to make sure it’s seated correctly.

Edit: So replacing the battery fixed it?
My PMs are disabled. Please send support requests to support(at)terraonion.com.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

themisterfalcon

04 Jul 2020, 21:16

You know, the battery swap seemed to (coincidentally?) fix the audio issue.

Now I am running into slews of inconsistencies. So many that it's hard to even document at this point.

For instance:

- I just played a game of Daytona. Reset the console with the power button and it kept booting into the CD player menu.
- I power down, walk away, come pack and power up, Mode boots says storage not found.
- I power it off for a couple of minutes, and upon powering back up the game list shows up again.

The console did not change physical location at all during the above events. The SD card was not removed or changed. Things like this have been happening all morning.

Something fishy is going on with my console or the MODE itself...

Not trying to junk this thread/forum up with useless, inconsistent errors so I will just sit back and see if anyone else has similar issues.

RevQuixo

04 Jul 2020, 22:08

Did you install the separate power wire? Not finding the storage is indicative of the MODE needing extra power. Beyond that there is as a new firmware coming out that may make a difference with cold boot issues.
Last edited by RevQuixo on 04 Jul 2020, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.

themisterfalcon

04 Jul 2020, 22:26

RevQuixo wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 22:08
Did you install the separate power wire? Not finding the storage is indicative of the MODE needing extra power. Beyond that there is as I said a new firmware coming out that may make a difference.
Once I decided to go SD and not use the HDD option I removed the additional power. The overall inconsistencies are still happening, but the storage error has seemingly gone away at this point.

I just captured about 15 minutes of weird things happening. Music slowing down and speeding up, the tone of the Saturn boot sound changing multiple times, and even documented the error where it keeps booting to the CD player screen with a loud buzzing sound.

I'll cut the filming up later tonight and post some more clips. Hopefully, the devs can gain some insight from them.

RevQuixo

04 Jul 2020, 22:28

Those sound errors seem tobe related to a CDDA bug that is in certain 21 pin Saturns. A fix is in the works for that too. You might want to double check your
ribbon cables to make sure they are seated well too.

themisterfalcon

04 Jul 2020, 22:40

RevQuixo wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 22:28
Those sound errors seem tobe related to a CDDA bug that is in certain 21 pin Saturns. A fix is in the works for that too. You might want to double check your
ribbon cables to make sure they are seated well too.
Ah, that's at least a bit reliving!

I will check the cables later tonight.

RevQuixo

04 Jul 2020, 22:41

I talked to neodev (the programmer) and he definitely would like you to check your cables. Apparently the cd-rom clock sends signals to the motherboard and that can cause the slow audio issues. Do you happen to have the part number of your cd assembly too?

Return to “MODE Discussion”