Mobiusstriptech

Re: MODE - Storage Setup tips

29 Jul 2020, 23:21

That is an enhancement in the private bug tracker already. There have been a few discussions regarding that functionality and possibly custom artwork.

TokyoRebirth

14 Aug 2020, 13:21

Mobiusstriptech wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 23:21
That is an enhancement in the private bug tracker already. There have been a few discussions regarding that functionality and possibly custom artwork.
Oh that's great! No more unidentified folders, yeay. \o/

Still the number 1 problem on the Saturn side should be the interlacing in the menu. 240p would make it such a sweet little ODE <3
The MODE uses bitmap / png files for the menus, right? SVG would scale so easily but I guess with the 240p the files need to be doubled internally / scaled down correctly. Otherwise I wouldn't understand why it should be a big problem

robnmish@gmail.com

17 Aug 2020, 17:16

quick question on storage, can i have a folder inside the main folder? I was looking to separate my PAL and JAP games into a separate section. so if i have a dreamcast pal folder inside the dreamcast folder will i be able to go into that and then into another folder with the game files?

TokyoRebirth

17 Aug 2020, 17:22

Yes. You can organize every game into subfolders :) I did the same. For JP, EU and US (EU in my case for PAL)

jason0250

22 Aug 2020, 00:51

I was just wondering if there’s any plans to have the mode also store your save game data, is it even possible 🤔

jon.nielsen

27 Aug 2020, 11:24

I guess the previous question is more about the plans... But it's interesting and in my opinion (I don't know anything about the development of MODE) it's technically possible as the MODE is able to execute code on both the DC and Saturn. Separate systems of reading and writing the saves would need to be implemented (Saturn from SRAM and DC from controller memory cards) for which code may or may not exist as home-brew in some form already. A basic synchronization or backup feature such as what the EverDrive 64 offers could be useful. But all of this would need implementation of file management for the existing supported storage devices, which is probably not trivial. Anyway. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here and just appreciate that this is an actively supported device which is already receiving good quality of life support.

This also brings me to what I wanted to post in this thread.

I'd like to ask how other users are using the storage options - specifically how to get 2 to work well at the same time. Neither of my SATA SSDs can work reliably on the MODE as-is. So I'm now either using an USB stick or the MicroSD card. I'd like to use both, with the USB stick containing most data, and the MicroSD being swapped. I can't seem to boot the system with both inserted, and inserting a MicroSD after booting with USB inserted often results in one or the other not being read anymore. Any experiences with this?

Todd
Admin

27 Aug 2020, 15:13

Are you having SATA issues with DC or Saturn?

If Saturn, are you using the optional power cable?
My PMs are disabled. Please send support requests to support(at)terraonion.com.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

jon.nielsen

07 Sep 2020, 10:54

Saturn. I tried with power cable. Made no difference. I've now been running with an USB stick instead. It worked as long as I didn't try to use the MicroSD card at the same time. That is, until I updated to latest firmware. Now both works. The cache flush issue fixed could have been the problem there, and now I'm thinking this may also have been the initial issue.

Edit: Spoke too soon. The problem reoccurs when the last used device is the MicroSD card. Meaning that if I load something from the MicroSD, I have to turn off, take it out before I can load again from the USB stick.

Return to “MODE Discussion”