Todd
Admin

MODE Manual

30 Jun 2020, 22:38

Here is the work in progress manual for MODE:
https://downloads.terraonion.com/mode_manual.pdf

Expect it to be updated over the next couple days. We have written the entire thing, however it needs to be formatted and polished further.

As of today (6-29-2020) the manual details install information. All of the other stuff including setting up your storage options and menu stuff will be updated in the manual in a couple days.

Just check it now and again.
My PMs are disabled. Please send support requests to support(at)terraonion.com.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

Todd
Admin

Re: MODE Manual

01 Jul 2020, 23:31

The manual has been updated with usage information.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

Juanmiglesias

08 Jul 2020, 04:03

Hi there, just wanted to add that action replay 4mb plus works without issues so far, both cheats and 4mb. On Jap/USA games. This on a USA console.

Todd
Admin

21 Jul 2020, 21:44

The manual has been updated with info on the Advanced Cover Art database and we have added advanced install info.

wolfre

14 Nov 2020, 13:03

Hi

Thanks for the great manual and awesome product! I'm happily using mode for a few days, and installation went without problems. When doing the install in my Dreamcast, I did notice a few points about the manual that could be improved (I'm referring to mode_manual.pdf Rev 0.8 MD5 f6567b78a92df4ef94572e17d96a30d7), so here goes in no particular order:

The pictures showing stuff have colored marks where screws have to be removed, or sticky feet have to be added (e.g. page 20). Those picture are a great help and show exactly what is needed to do the install. However the dark-ish pink color marking several things was hard to see. And the bright light in my room I had on for installation, and the slightly older monitor I used certainly didn't help :D ... so you may want to change that to some brighter shade and color, IIRC green wasn't used in that section.

When installing, I followed the manual and put in 4 sticky feet as shown on page 21. I then tried a test fit (before removing the glue protection on the feet) and noticed that is did not fit in my DC. When lining up the drive connector (on the bottom of the MODE), the board did fit in the space, however the sticky feet at the rear of the console, were "out of the case" so to speak. I had quite a moment of doubt that I did mess something up. I checked the images in the manual, and they clearly show sticky feet protruding from the rear holes on page 22. Luckily you also have those install videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA8RtKU ... e=youtu.be), and there is a quick shot of the MODE being inserted where you can see no sticky feet at the rear of the board / console. So I figured its ok and I cut the feet in half and move them to the inner two holes (page 22 shows them in the outer two holes at the "left and right" edge of the MODE, when viewed as on page 22). This worked fine for me, and the placement is stable. So you may want to update the pictures and/or give a hint to cut the sticky pad of the rear feet in half. Maybe this was just my DC model, not sure. My MODE package arrived with 8 sticky feet (not sure if that is standard), which psychologically made is much easier to decide to cut the rear feet, as I had spares :)

Next I suggest to add an additional hint at the beginning of the install procedure: recommend to have IPA, ethanol, or at least a clean cloth ready to clean the metal surface after removing the GD-ROM. This is an airway for cooling and a dust collects quickly, so this should help to make sure the sticky feet last.

At the end of the manual, in the "advanced install information" you have some notes about that JST connector. I quote "JST Connector is type 'JST XH 9 position 2.5mm'. Note that 2.5mm is not the same as 2.54mm". This info is gold, and exactly what is needed to continue with that port, thank you! I am missing two pieces of info tho. 1) how to wire those two switches (I'm pretty sure its a short-to-gnd or pull-low configuration). 2) how much current can Pin 1 source for a user connected LED. Can I just connect one, or do I need to build some sort of amp after that with a transistor.

So again, thanks for all your hard work, and I hope these notes help to make the MODE experience even better :)

Rene

cleeg

23 Nov 2020, 23:42

Nice manual, very clear. I would suggest the addition of info regarding the potential finicky nature of the Saturn ribbon cables, and sound issues caused by an imperfect connection between MODE and main board.

I was worried that I'd borked my Saturn! In the end I managed to fix it by taping it up just right.

Return to “MODE Discussion”