jp_flynn@hotmail.com

Problem with Retro-Bit's wireless controllers on MegaSD

25 Sep 2020, 07:23

So my problem pertains to the Sega CD functionality on the MegaSD. I currently have two wireless Retro-Bit Genesis controllers.

When playing my model 1 Genesis with a VA-7 motherboard and using the MegaSD, when playing certain Sega CD games, my wireless controller buttons will be messed up. For instance when playing the Sega CD version of Hook, the C button acts as the start button and pauses the game, and the start button does nothing. There is no way to progress in the game because C is supposed to be jump. Both of my controllers do this when trying trying to play via the wireless Genesis dongle. However, playing the regular Genesis version of Hook, the buttons behave correctly. In fact, the buttons behave correctly in all of the Genesis games I've tested, but the Sega CD versions of Hook, NHL 94 and Batman Returns as well as other Sega CD games will have the C button acting as start. I'm wondering if it's an issue with the Mega SD (I'm not really sure why it would be). But, I don't have an actual Sega CD unit to use and see if it has the same problem. The reason I'm thinking the MegaSD must have issues with these controllers is because all of the Sega CD games I mentioned worked perfectly with my wired controllers.

I disabled the in game menu and in game reset in the MegaSD options, just to rule out those doing something weird to the games. I've also tried all 5 of the Sega CD BIOS versions that I have and it didn't help either. I'd be curious to know if other people are having this issue. I wonder if it's something weird with my Genesis model and particular motherboard or something. This isn't really a huge deal as I certainly have no problem playing with my wired controllers, I just found it a rather curious oddity and was wondering if anyone else had issue or could test theirs and see if it happens to them. I'm sure there's plenty of our community that own these wireless controllers and a MegaSD.

yoshi41

Re: Problem with Retro-Bit's wireless controllers on MegaSD

25 Sep 2020, 09:00

I don‘t have this controller to test (using 8bitdo M30).

It looks like the controller has issues with Sega CD (at least in the BIOS menu)...

https://www.reddit.com/r/SEGAGENESIS/co ... ontroller/

jp_flynn@hotmail.com

25 Sep 2020, 09:12

Thanks for that. I guess they didn't fully test their controllers with the Sega CD, which is kind of surprising. I just wanted to rule out that it wasn't an issue with the MegaSD, which it appears it's not.

KenToad

25 Sep 2020, 19:01

Wow, that stinks. Please post back if they ever get this issue sorted out in a firmware update.

How do you like the Retro-bit controllers otherwise? I think the shoulder buttons look good for Xeno Crisis' roll and grenade, assuming that they are Z and C.

jp_flynn@hotmail.com

25 Sep 2020, 19:43

They feel and work great. I'm pretty sure I read that they got the actual molds from Sega to make these. They feel like official Sega brand ones. It was just a disappointment about the Sega CD. But they are amazing for Sega games and their Saturn pads feel perfect as well.

KenToad

25 Sep 2020, 20:27

That's good to hear. Thanks for sharing. I use the wireless dongle from 8bitdo and the replacement pcb that they sell. It was perfect for me because I had picked up a used 6-button controller that had a mangled cord. So far, it works perfectly with my model 1 Genesis and the Mega SD, but I would like to have a controller with shoulder buttons. Maybe Retro-bit will get it sorted out eventually. Not being compatible with Sega CD seems like a pretty big drawback. I wonder if their wired controllers have the same problem?

Return to “MegaSD Discussion”