Galron

Next Firmware ETA? And what upgrades will we get?

15 Sep 2020, 07:11

I know there a a few things people are asking for and have been promised in next or future updates..

Like save states and ingame menus for Sega Master System games (to match up with Ever-drive features)

What is the difference between Mode 1, MD+, and MSU-MD? As I understand it Mode 1 and MD+ are already supported by Mega SD, and MU1-MD will be added in the next firmware? WHat is the history behind MSU-MD? I've only heard about it recently... where did it come from? Who is promoting it? I thought Krikkz's product is Mode 1 only? Is he behind MSU-MD? or is he still just focusing on Mode1?

https://www.zeldix.net/t2158-the-differ ... the-msu-md

What else can we expect?

neodev

Re: Next Firmware ETA? And what upgrades will we get?

16 Sep 2020, 00:05

Msu-md is just a fancy name for a mode 1 driver written by krikzz. Megasd supports it but it needs a game header change or a config file so the rom is loaded with cd hardware enabled. next firmware will boot iwith cd enabled by default when you have a rom and a cue in the same folder

Galron

16 Sep 2020, 03:57

Sounds cool I guess. I'm glad your team is giving us access to everything, possible with the Mega SD! While Krikkz resists adding anything that he sees as 'competition'...

Really can't wait until those SMS save states, and ingame menu/reset to cart options...

Gummy Bear

25 Sep 2020, 04:50

neodev wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 00:05
Msu-md is just a fancy name for a mode 1 driver written by krikzz. Megasd supports it but it needs a game header change or a config file so the rom is loaded with cd hardware enabled. next firmware will boot iwith cd enabled by default when you have a rom and a cue in the same folder
That's pretty anaemic.
Anything else that was previously discussed in the forum likely to be included?

Mr_Boo_Berry

02 Oct 2020, 15:16

From what Neodev has mentioned being done and being worked on for the next firmware update in the Discord server, this is what is to be looked forward to...

- SMS save states
- SMS in-game menu
- MSU-MD support (it already works in the latest firmware but you need to modify the header to get it to work - this enhancement will allow it to work without needing to modify headers)
- Megacolor support
- Save state slots increased to 108
- Save preview
- Faster ROM loading
- On-the-fly IPS patching
- YM2413 instruments updated (matching the dumped instruments that recently happened, so SMS FM should be perfect)
- SRAM support for the Sonic Delta hack
- Fix the previous firmware's bad Robo Aleste fix
- Fix Sonic & Knuckles without locked cart booting
- WORDRAM and PRG RAM cheat support for Sega CD games (YAY!)

Should be a pretty good update. :D

Gummy Bear

02 Oct 2020, 23:20

Mr_Boo_Berry wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 15:16
From what Neodev has mentioned being done and being worked on for the next firmware update in the Discord server, this is what is to be looked forward to...

- SMS save states
- SMS in-game menu
- MSU-MD support (it already works in the latest firmware but you need to modify the header to get it to work - this enhancement will allow it to work without needing to modify headers)
- Megacolor support
- Save state slots increased to 108
- Save preview
- Faster ROM loading
- On-the-fly IPS patching
- YM2413 instruments updated (matching the dumped instruments that recently happened, so SMS FM should be perfect)
- SRAM support for the Sonic Delta hack
- Fix the previous firmware's bad Robo Aleste fix
- Fix Sonic & Knuckles without locked cart booting
- WORDRAM and PRG RAM cheat support for Sega CD games (YAY!)

Should be a pretty good update. :D
That does sound good!
Thanks for sharing that outside of discord.

tazlikeegg

03 Oct 2020, 23:00

WORDRAM and PRG RAM cheat support for Sega CD games (YAY!) - What does this mean, is it like action replay codes for the Mega CD?

Also I think it may have been asked in a previous thread but I take it save states aren't possible on Mega CD games?

Mr_Boo_Berry

04 Oct 2020, 18:52

tazlikeegg wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 23:00
WORDRAM and PRG RAM cheat support for Sega CD games (YAY!) - What does this mean, is it like action replay codes for the Mega CD?

Also I think it may have been asked in a previous thread but I take it save states aren't possible on Mega CD games?

The Sega CD has WORDRAM and PRG RAM (and it can use Genesis RAM as well). There's a good number of Genesis RAM cheats for some Sega CD games (cheats that start with FF are Genesis RAM cheats) like Sonic CD, but there are other games that hackers have hacked PRGRAM and WORDRAM cheats for. This is adding support for those additional cheats. :)

And no, Sega CD save states isn't doable on real hardware with the MegaSD, it's only doable in emulators.

flex

07 Oct 2020, 16:05

Thanks for the info! I was wondering if the master system save states were in the works but this update sounds pretty epic. I don't suppose we have a rough ETA at this point? Or is there a way to be notified when released as I don't pop back to this forum very often.

Relikk

07 Oct 2020, 20:29

Keeping an eye on Terraonion's Twitter or joining their Discord server are probably the best ways to find out as soon as any updates are available.

Return to “MegaSD Discussion”