marcoahs

Sonic Delta v0.30 doesn't work

30 May 2020, 07:17

Hi folks!
I'm having problems with the Sonic Delta rom hack. After the rom loads, the following error appears: "Exception $40: Mapper not initialized" followed by a bunch of memory codes. I have an Everdrive x3 and it works normally on it. I also remember that it worked on the x7. I asked to the hack developer and he said that this error is the MegaSD is not supporting the sega mapper. That's right? Can someone help me?

Todd
Admin

Re: Sonic Delta v0.30 doesn't work

30 May 2020, 15:03

Do you have a link to this hack?
My PMs are disabled. Please send support requests to support(at)terraonion.com.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

marcoahs

30 May 2020, 18:47

Todd wrote:
30 May 2020, 15:03
Do you have a link to this hack?
https://www.neto-games.com.br/rom_hack/ ... a_v039.rar

marcoahs

30 May 2020, 22:13

I even tried to update the firmware to the latest version, but the error persists.

Message I received from the developer of the hack:
In the case of this device (MegaSD) you may have to ask the manufacturer to update the firmware to support the SEGA mapper for any game and not just for the Super Street Fighter II which I believe should run on this device.

neodev

31 May 2020, 07:19

I had a quick look and it seems the game doesn't have the 'extended mapper header' . In the header instead of 'SEGA GENESIS' it should have 'SEGA SSF'. other games and demos do it properly and they work. It's a simple hex edit. This header was defined by the everdrive guy, and supposedly the game shouldn't work there if it's not set that way so maybe he ignored his own recommendations :) .

Alternatively, you can try creating a text file named the same than the rom, but ending in cfg (for example Sonic_Delta_v039.cfg) in the same folder the rom is stored, and write:
Mapper=15

When booting the game, check the screen with info that appears (hold A when loading a game to make it stay longer) and ensure the mapper value shown there is 15 (that is the ssf2 extended mapper).

marcoahs

31 May 2020, 09:01

neodev wrote:
31 May 2020, 07:19
I had a quick look and it seems the game doesn't have the 'extended mapper header' . In the header instead of 'SEGA GENESIS' it should have 'SEGA SSF'. other games and demos do it properly and they work. It's a simple hex edit. This header was defined by the everdrive guy, and supposedly the game shouldn't work there if it's not set that way so maybe he ignored his own recommendations :) .

Alternatively, you can try creating a text file named the same than the rom, but ending in cfg (for example Sonic_Delta_v039.cfg) in the same folder the rom is stored, and write:
Mapper=15

When booting the game, check the screen with info that appears (hold A when loading a game to make it stay longer) and ensure the mapper value shown there is 15 (that is the ssf2 extended mapper).
I changed the header to SEGA SSF and the error continued.
I did the alternative method and it worked ... But there is no way to make these adjustments in a firmware update?

neodev

31 May 2020, 10:51

The header method should work fine. I'll have a look once I have access to my de hw again. I could add a specific fix for that game, but the dev should use the special header so the cart knows it needs to switch to the ssf2 extenddd mapper

marcoahs

31 May 2020, 14:34

neodev wrote:
31 May 2020, 10:51
The header method should work fine. I'll have a look once I have access to my de hw again. I could add a specific fix for that game, but the dev should use the special header so the cart knows it needs to switch to the ssf2 extenddd mapper
I received this message from the hack developer. I hope it helps in some way:

"Give the Sonic Delta hardware link to guys (https://www.neto-games.com.br/hardware/ ... rdware.php). The Sega Genesis does not need holes in the ROM header to run or play on real hardware. It must respond to hardware commands that are specified by official use of SEGA.
I didn't invent anything, I just followed the SEGA documentation. The attached screen is the part where the Sega Genesis development manual talks about data mapping and there it says exactly with the hardware it must respond to the commands being bank 0 destined for SRAM which is mapped from address 0x200000 and banks 1 to 7 for mapping ROM data. The developer of this cartridge emulator should do the same and activate the emulator of the mapper according to the address requests. And don't be treating game by game ".

neodev

31 May 2020, 14:49

Yes, sure it works on real hw, but those other chips he's using (74LSxxx) need to be simulated in megasd. Normally carts are just a rom connected directly to cart lines. Any other hardware present in the cart needs to be notified to megasd so it can enable that hardware simulation (for example sram chips, or banking chips). Otherwise it will work as a single rom cart with plain mapping.
You can try that rom in mame, that uses the plain rom mapping, and the same issue will happen. Other emulators probably enable the extended mapper for roms >4MB that is the maximum allowed in the normal addresssing range, but then it would break mortal kombat hack, so yes, per game fixes are always needed, becaude thr emulator or cart can't know which extra hqrdware the cart has. This happens to sram carts too. Megasd relies on the game sram header, but it's not right for some games. In a cart it doesn't matter becauee the hardware is there inside the cart, and the rom header does nothing.

marcoahs

31 May 2020, 21:12

neodev wrote:
31 May 2020, 14:49
Yes, sure it works on real hw, but those other chips he's using (74LSxxx) need to be simulated in megasd. Normally carts are just a rom connected directly to cart lines. Any other hardware present in the cart needs to be notified to megasd so it can enable that hardware simulation (for example sram chips, or banking chips). Otherwise it will work as a single rom cart with plain mapping.
You can try that rom in mame, that uses the plain rom mapping, and the same issue will happen. Other emulators probably enable the extended mapper for roms >4MB that is the maximum allowed in the normal addresssing range, but then it would break mortal kombat hack, so yes, per game fixes are always needed, becaude thr emulator or cart can't know which extra hqrdware the cart has. This happens to sram carts too. Megasd relies on the game sram header, but it's not right for some games. In a cart it doesn't matter becauee the hardware is there inside the cart, and the rom header does nothing.
Ok. But, do you intend to support this type of extended mapping?

Return to “MegaSD Discussion”