oluapjr

Will Mega SD be able to run LD LaserActive ISO?

26 May 2020, 05:08

Todd
Admin

Re: Will Mega SD be able to run LD LaserActive ISO?

26 May 2020, 05:48

No.
My PMs are disabled. Please send support requests to support(at)terraonion.com.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

Gummy Bear

27 May 2020, 11:53

oluapjr wrote:
That would require TO to actually support a product for a while, rather than dropping it as soon as they get an idea for a new product.

Todd
Admin

27 May 2020, 16:09

Gummy Bear wrote:
oluapjr wrote:
That would require TO to actually support a product for a while, rather than dropping it as soon as they get an idea for a new product.
I'm not sure what the problem is, but at no point have we ever stated planned support for LaserActive.

MegaSD supports everything we said it would, and we even added stuff after release that was never announced (like Virtua Racing support).

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

Gummy Bear

27 May 2020, 21:59

Todd wrote:
27 May 2020, 16:09
Gummy Bear wrote:
oluapjr wrote:
I'm not sure what the problem is, but at no point have we ever stated planned support for LaserActive.

MegaSD supports everything we said it would, and we even added stuff after release that was never announced (like Virtua Racing support).
The problem is that TO make great devices but then fail to update them for any duration.

There were many ideas that sounded good and were acknowledged by the devs as something they would work on, then nothing.
Like support for abnormally large SRAM, a CD cheat system that works properly, a potential cheat search feature. There are games that still don't work properly. The external tools that suddenly became "open source ZOMG!" which basically means TO are done with them and people can make of them what they will.

Same with the SSDS3, only worse. Games that don't work properly, the in game reset is still a problem, even the damn font that everyone agrees is barely legible (and a free alternative was even provided by a user) still hasn't been changed.

As soon as the next idea pops up, BOOM, drop the last device like it's hot.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of time (and money) for TO. I have bought all of their devices.
It's just a shame that these devices will never reach their full potential.

Todd
Admin

27 May 2020, 23:48

Any tools we released as open source were at the REQUEST of the community. They claimed they wanted to make their own menus and such. So far, nothing has come of that. That's isn't us not supporting it, that's us giving the community what they said they wanted.

While there might be a couple lingering edge cases on the MegaSD, we feel that it's extremely solid and well implemented. We delivered what we said we would. Anything extra on top of that has to be budgeted from a time stand point. But I know neodev has mentioned a couple other things he planned to update/change in a future firmware.

As far as the SSDS3 goes, it's beating a dead horse. We know people dislike the menu system. We get it. Loud and clear. We have it on our road map for later this year for a complete UI overhaul. Probably more like what the MegaSD has. Complete with new font and many back ported features like seek time emulation (which will fix several games that rely on exact timings) and directory caching which will speed up browsing through large folders of games. But this takes time. As far as the In Game Reset goes, neodev can talk to that specifically, but the reality is that it probably can't be fixed 100% due to how the PCE and it's games work. I suggested that we remove the feature entirely, but who knows.

sepecat

28 May 2020, 02:08

Todd, thanks for the roadmap update. I personally have been hoping for SSDS3 seek time updates for a long time and it makes me happy to see that's still in the plans. I apologize if you've already gotten this suggestion many times before but something like quick blog or post updates about what's planned every few weeks might help- I'm a software dev on a small team and so am very sympathetic with the scenario of lots of requested work and not much dev time to spread around. The TO Direct videos are great for major updates but because of that they don't happen too often. Just something lightweight to let people know the products are indeed still getting lots of love seems like it could be useful, whatever channel or venue that communication might find. Thanks!

chrisw80

28 May 2020, 02:55

It would be cool if they would completely open source it. Would love to see what the community could do with these devices. I still can't understand why no PCE/TG16 Hucard save states. That would be amazing. (And game changing) I feel like someone will just come in and create a superior product eventually. (and easily due to TO basically giving up on said devices) Glad to see you come around Gummy Bear. You criticized me in a prior post before regarding the MegaSG.

Return to “MegaSD Discussion”