KenToad

Lords of Thunder randomly freezing and resetting on Model 1 Genesis

24 Apr 2020, 06:12

I know that I had the USA Redump version of Lords of Thunder, but I went ahead and replaced it just to be sure that the problem isn't with the image. I'm getting occasional black screen resets, but mainly random freezes where the visuals freeze and the music continues to play. I've tried to play through the game maybe a dozen times, always resulting in a screen freeze.

So far, I haven't had problems like this with any other Sega CD, Genesis, Master System, or even MD+ game on the Mega SD. Usually, Lords of Thunder freezes during the game near the end of stage 1 or even during the first boss fight, but I've had freezes as late as Stage 3. I've never gotten past stage 3 without a freeze, just playing the levels in the order given by the game.

I'm on firmware 1.04 R09 playing on a US model 1 Genesis.

Todd
Admin

Re: Lords of Thunder randomly freezing and resetting on Model 1 Genesis

24 Apr 2020, 16:21

Haven't seen any other reports on this.

Anyone else?
My PMs are disabled. Please send support requests to support(at)terraonion.com.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

Steven

24 Apr 2020, 16:42

I think I might have the game on my MegaSD. The only US Genesis I have is a Nomad, which is technically a Genesis 2, but I do have a Japanese Mega Drive that I can try it on just to see what happens.

KenToad

24 Apr 2020, 16:56

Cool. Thanks. It's one of the best games on the Sega CD, so it would be great to figure out why it's not working for me. I know that I at least booted the game on a previous revision of the firmware and had no issues, but I don't think that I played it more than just to see that it started up.

Steven

24 Apr 2020, 17:02

I just tried it on my Nomad and Mega Drive. Works just fine on both, but I never got past the beginning of the second stage because I've never played this game before and I'm super tired.

KenToad

27 Apr 2020, 17:14

The latest is that I have no issues with any other levels than the first 3. I started the game on the default 4th level and played all the later levels just fine. Then, I played the first level without issue and the game froze during the second level, Azul, near where you first go underwater.

Hopefully, someone with a model 1 Genesis will be able to finish the first 3 levels, because I haven't been able to and, like I said, I have zero other issues with my Mega SD, other than the Heimdall intro cutting, as I reported in another thread, but that's a consistent error, not semi-random like this one.

I also replaced my image 3 times now. I am 99% sure the Redump image I have is good.

Riz

28 Apr 2020, 15:14

I’ve played through this in the order you mentioned without issue. The lack of any others mentioning a problem indicates an issue on your end. Have you tried a new sd card or using the MSD on another console to test?

KenToad

28 Apr 2020, 17:15

Thanks for replying! It seems like hardly anyone uses the MegaSD with the old model 1. I'd be really surprised if it's something other than a software issue with the MegaSD with this particular game on my particular system, since I have zero other issues and have extensively played a multitude of games on the cart. A friend has a model 2 that I should be able to test after we finish social distancing here in Wisconsin. I'll report back then.

Riz

29 Apr 2020, 00:52

In the settings menu I had graphics scaler off and emulate seek time on when I tested.

KenToad

29 Apr 2020, 06:17

I also turned that stuff off after the first half 4-5 times the game crashed. One thing I haven't done is disable the in game menu. I don't use it, of course, since you can't use save states with CD games. Did you have that enabled?

Return to “MegaSD Discussion”