GameLifter

Japanese Mega CD version of Sol-Feace Hangs on Licensed by Sega Screen

30 Oct 2019, 01:17

I recently picked up a copy of Sol-Feace for the Japanese Mega CD and ripped it to play on my Mega SD with Mega Sg. When I tried playing it using BIOS version 2.00 it would hang/crash on the Sega License screen after pressing Start on the start up screen. When I would press A to go into the CD menu and run the game from there it would start up and play fine. Is this the expected behavior for the game on BIOS 2.00 or is it an issue with the Mega SD and/or Mega Sg? Or did I rip it incorrectly?

neodev

Re: Japanese Mega CD version of Sol-Feace Hangs on Licensed by Sega Screen

30 Oct 2019, 09:46

Try changing the emulate seek time option.
Are you using a real japanese bios or a region free one? Some japanese games only work with the real bios, or one that shows the sega logo on grey screen, instead of the ones (eu & us) with the black background and animated sonic.
If you are using a non jp region free bios, some of those games will work if you hold C while pressing start.

GameLifter

30 Oct 2019, 19:41

I'm using a real Japanese BIOS. I tried another BIOS file for version 2.00 that I had thrown on the SD card and got the same result. I will try disabling Emulate Seek Time and see if that fixes it.

Bill Duck

31 Oct 2019, 03:24

I ran into this same problem with another Wolf Team Mega CD game Devestator, so this might fix the problem for you. To fix that problem I had to set my Mega Sg console to Japanese (in the Hardware menu) as the region, and then use Mega CD BIOS 1.00 (also works with the WonderMega 1.00 BIOS) on the Mega SD. After that the game would run without hanging on the Sega license screen. Hope this works for you!

GameLifter

31 Oct 2019, 04:55

Tried disabling Emulate Seek Time and got the same result. Did some searching on YouTube and found a video from lukemorse1 where he played his copy of Sol-Feace on a Japanese Mega CD Model 2 and it was able to load directly from the startup screen and get past the Sega license screen without hanging. My specific BIOS version is 2.00C. Not sure if there is another BIOS version 2.00 out there for the Japanese Mega CD I could try.

GameLifter

31 Oct 2019, 05:47

Bill Duck wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 03:24
I ran into this same problem with another Wolf Team Mega CD game Devestator, so this might fix the problem for you. To fix that problem I had to set my Mega Sg console to Japanese (in the Hardware menu) as the region, and then use Mega CD BIOS 1.00 (also works with the WonderMega 1.00 BIOS) on the Mega SD. After that the game would run without hanging on the Sega license screen. Hope this works for you!
Thank you for the input. Playing around with the region settings on the Mega Sg yielded some success. When I switched the region to NTSC-J while the system was on it fixed it. However, when I would turn the system off and back on after saving the Mega Sg settings the problem would start happening again. Then when I would switch the region back to NTSC (USA) while the system was on it would fix the issue only for it to once again start happening after turning the system off and on. So, playing with the Mega Sg region settings fixes the issue temporarily until power cycling the system.

With BIOS 1.00P it always takes me to the CD player screen regardless of what button I press at the startup screen so from there running the game works fine, just like with BIOS 2.00C and pressing A at the startup screen then running the game from the CD player. It hangs when pressing Start to run the game directly with 2.00C.
Last edited by GameLifter on 01 Nov 2019, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.

Riz

01 Nov 2019, 02:03

The Mega SG has a number of cd incompatibilities that the Mega SD has no control over. Have you tested the cd with original hardware or tried using the mega sd on original hardware?

GameLifter

01 Nov 2019, 03:43

Riz wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 02:03
The Mega SG has a number of cd incompatibilities that the Mega SD has no control over. Have you tested the cd with original hardware or tried using the mega sd on original hardware?
I tested the disc on my Wondermega and it worked fine but its BIOS is version 1.00 that seems to always take you to the CD player menu first. I also have a Model 1 Sega CD with a region free BIOS but it's not hooked up currently and neither is my Model 2 Genesis. I just got an idea though, I could try using my Mega EverDrive to load up BIOS 2.00C on the Wondermega and see what it does.

EDIT: Used my EverDrive to load up BIOS 2.00C on the Wondermega and everything worked fine with the disc. At this point it's most likely an issue with the Mega Sg. It's not a huge deal since I can still get the game to run off the Mega SD on Mega Sg but it's interesting none the less. Thanks for the input everyone!

Steven

01 Nov 2019, 12:04

Why are you changing regions manually? Is your region auto-detect thing on in the Mega Sg or the MegaSD, both, or neither? I think I have Sol-Feace on my MegaSD's SD card, so I'll check in a few hours when I get home.

Edit: and since I have a Japanese Mega Drive, I might as well try that to see what happens.

Edit 2: I tried the Aiwa Mega-CD BIOS since it's one of those types that goes straight to the license screen and skips the CD player interface. It doesn't work at all with Sol-Feace on my Mega Drive or my Mega Sg no matter what I set the region to. Region auto-detect for Mega Sg and MegaSD make no difference, on or off. It always sits there at the license screen.

Edit 3: Earnest Evans has the same problem as Sol-Feace. The audio in the intro is also out of sync with the video on all BIOS, as well, from what I can tell.

Edit 4: Time Gal, Devastator (as mentioned earlier), Road Blaster FX, and Anett Futatabi all have the same problem. Earnest Evans is the only one with audio desync that I noticed. Interesting that they were all developed by Wolf Team.

neodev

01 Nov 2019, 19:41

All the wolfteam games have the seek time emulation forced on, they have some coding mistakes them crash if the cd seeks too fast. We habe tested those games with many bios files and didn't habe any issues. I'll have a look just in case there was some bug introduced in latest firmware

Return to “MegaSD Discussion”