lbarrows

MegaSD resets to menu after attempt to load Sega CD image

12 Sep 2019, 02:40

I just received the Mega SD on Monday and it looks great, right up to the menu screen. After selecting a title from the SD card, the text loading screen comes up for maybe a minute or so while the green LED in front flashes. Then the screen flashes and the Mega SD resets itself to the selection screen. I assume it attempted to load but something failed at the end. I get this with two different Micro SD cards, even after reformatting, and with several images which I can test by burning them to disc and playing them on my X'Eye. I'm using it with a Mega SG, with both CD audio settings set as specified in the manual, and the Mega SD set to hardware reset. I've tried several BIOS files which I've verified work with other applications which can use them. Is there anything else I might check?

Todd
Admin

Re: MegaSD resets to menu after attempt to load Sega CD image

12 Sep 2019, 02:45

Is your sd card fat32 or exfat formatted? Might want to try fat32 if you haven’t already.

Do you have a regular Genesis or Mega Drove console to test it with?

lbarrows

12 Sep 2019, 02:48

Todd wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 02:45
Is your sd card fat32 or exfat formatted? Might want to try fat32 if you haven’t already.

Do you have a regular Genesis or Mega Drove console to test it with?
It is exfat formatted, I'll try formatting it as FAT32 tonight. Thank you. My only other console is an X'Eye, which has the drive built in and would conflict with the Mega SD. Sorry about putting this in the wrong forum, I just realized it after the fact.

Todd
Admin

12 Sep 2019, 03:03

Do regular cartridge roms work on it? Is it just cd games? And what cd game dumps are you using? Redump?

Pupil

12 Sep 2019, 03:20

I'm not sure what the Mega SD supports but usually you need a bin/cue file for some CD Based games to work (at least for some emulators in my experience). Not sure what image file types you are using but maybe it will help?

lbarrows

12 Sep 2019, 10:04

All Bin/Cue rips, I have reasonably good Sega CD collection. The model 1 unit I bought back in the day fell over, so I've been using an X'Eye now. Hopefully the Mega SD will take some wear and tear off that one too once I get it going. :)

Riz

12 Sep 2019, 14:01

Are you on the latest firmware for both the Mega SG and Mega SD? Do Genesis games work?

lbarrows

12 Sep 2019, 20:46

Thanks everyone for the ideas! I was able to download the latest firmware and update it without trouble two days ago, thinking that might have been the issue. I've reformatted the MicroSD card to FAT32 as well rather than exfat, although it's a 128GB card I was able to format it under Linux with mkfs.vfat. I tried two ROM images, one caused the game to lock up on the startup screen but the other seemed to work. I can verify that they both load on the X'Eye with an Everdrive or the MegaSG with jailbreak firmware.

lbarrows

13 Sep 2019, 06:40

Thought I'd try another Micro SD card just in case; a SanDisk 256Gb card from Best Buy, just in case there was any magic in the brand name. Still nothing with CD games, though I've found that Streets of Rage 2 plays perfectly on the Genesis side of things.

lbarrows

13 Sep 2019, 08:27

I finally have it working, just took a few days! It turns out that putting each title in its own folder helped. Maybe it was something in one or more filenames it doesn't like, perhaps I tend to type too many details. Or maybe it's just happier with the new SD card after resetting the settings. No idea what precisely fixed it, but either way I have it working with CD images now and I couldn't be happier. Thanks to everyone who replied with advice!

Return to “MegaSD General Discussion”