sheik

Ways to leave MegaCD connected whilst using MegaSD?

21 Aug 2019, 12:28

It would be quite nice to have the option of leaving my MegaCD connected to my Megadrive 1.
I realise there are bus conflicts, but has anybody figured out a non-destructive mod to allow the MegaCD to be left attached, and switched in or out as needed?
If that is not feasible, would taping up the connectors cause any problems? That would at least mean my MegaCD didn't have to go into storage, as I rather like the look of it under the Megadrive!

derFunkenstein

Re: Ways to leave MegaCD connected whilst using MegaSD?

21 Aug 2019, 21:27

I doubt this is possible without an option in firmware to force-boot the CD module. Connecting a real cart to a system with a real CD system attached boots the cart instead of the CD system. Everdrives have the same constraint - you have to turn on the system, hit C, and tell it to boot.

So it's possible from a technical standpoint for TO to implement, but there's not a way for you to do it today unless they've added it to the firmware.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1029

I don't see anything about it in the firmware thread.

sheik

21 Aug 2019, 23:57

To be clear, I'm not asking for a way to get MegaSD to work alongside a connected MegaCD and be able to play CD ISOs.

I'm asking, can the MegaCD be left attached to the Megadrive for aesthetic reasons only, but be electrically disconnected? Ideally with some kind of switch mod, so it could be turned on if desired and MegaSD could then be removed so as to allow normal CD operation.

But if that is not possible, would it be feasible to just tape up the exposed connectors so the Megadrive doesn't know a MegaCD is physically attached? I'm not sure if, for example, shielding the male connectors with kapton tape would damage the socket?

Todd
Admin

22 Aug 2019, 01:03

You could probably tape off the edge connector. I know there has been some discussion of a mod that completely disabled the cd unit via a switch. Not sure where anyone is with that at the moment.

Mobiusstriptech

22 Aug 2019, 05:47

To successfully do a switch style mod, every CD bus line has to be disconnected. NeoDev and I both looked into it, him from the software side and me from the hardware side. It is possible but from a cost versus value perspective, I just don't see it. It would need to be something along the lines of the region mod for the TurboDuo, where all the lines would need to be severed and able to enable/disable from a single point.

Far327

22 Aug 2019, 17:20

I cut a sandwich ziplock bag in half and trimmed it to accommodate the size of the genesis edge connector. Worked for my model 1 genesis & segacd. Normally i would be concerned of static electricity. But since no power is going to the sega cd (that i know of) i wasnt overly concerned. I suppose trimming an anti static bag would be a better solution.

Mobiusstriptech

22 Aug 2019, 18:55

The Genesis will send power to the Sega CD over the buslines. That's exactly the issue I was describing with disabling it. If the system is turned on, there are signals that go to that connector.

flamepanther

16 Sep 2019, 22:36

If it's strictly for aesthetic purposes, I suppose you could gut the Mega CD and just set the MegaDrive on its empty shell. Seems like a hassle though.

sheik

17 Sep 2019, 00:39

Now that I have my MegaSD I have realised that the MD1 will actually sit reasonably nicely on the MegaCD, even if it's not connected. So my original query is a non-issue really - sorry! :oops:

Return to “MegaSD General Discussion”