Todd
Admin

Re: All shipping related issues READ THIS!!!

13 Aug 2019, 01:38

That’s the email you should have originally received that would explain shipping delays. Consider it FYI.

Your orders are still being processed by customs.

dshadoff

13 Aug 2019, 03:05

samson7point1 wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 00:03
On 8/3 I got an email saying my package was “in transit” along with a DHL tracking link which didn’t work for reasons which have been explained in this thread. Today (8/12) I received another message saying that my order has been “sent to DHL for processing” which explained that I still need to wait for customs processing which might take another 3 weeks.

Just so I’m clear, was the 9 day difference the time from when this was dropped off at the Andorra DHL office to the time that they managed to pull it out of the pile, or is it something else?
I received the same today.

Putting this all together - especially the part where the packages are "in customs" in Andorra (where they will be shipped from), I suppose that:
- They were assembled elsewhere (probably China), not in Andorra nor in the EU.
- They were pre-labelled and palletized at the point of manufacture, and shipped en masse to Andorra, en route to their final destinations. This could have been done for any number of reasons such as quality control, audit of actual shipment, etc.
- It is highly unlikely that DHL was used for the manufacture->Andorra leg of the route, as some form of tracking would have been available in that case, and customs clearance would have been more under control.
- As a result, this large shipment (or shipments) have been sitting in Andorra customs waiting for clearance, pallet breakdown, and forwarding
- The original email was sent at the time when the original shipment left the manufacturing hub

Realistically, the initial notification shouldn't have been sent as early as it was - it should have been sent at the final point of shipment in order to set appropriate expectations among final recipients.

Mobiusstriptech

13 Aug 2019, 03:30

I honestly have no idea where that story came from but Alex assembles everything in Andorra and the carts are not made in China. They are manufactured in Spain. Always have been. They are assembled in Andorra and packaged for shipment there. The shells are made in China and come completely separate.

dshadoff

13 Aug 2019, 03:36

Mobiusstriptech wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 03:30
I honestly have no idea where that story came from but Alex assembles everything in Andorra and the carts are not made in China. They are manufactured in Spain. Always have been. They are assembled in Andorra and packaged for shipment there. The shells are made in China and come completely separate.
Why would something made in Andorra be waiting in customs in Andorra if it is going to North America ? That explanation is difficult to accept because customs is an import control process.

Honestly I don't know the whole story - I only wrote a plausible hypothesis which is not difficult to accept. I would be happy to learn a more accurate description.

Mobiusstriptech

13 Aug 2019, 03:39

Customs is not import only. Point of origination customs is also a thing. If you buy something from Japan or China it has to go through the origination customs.

dshadoff

13 Aug 2019, 04:02

Mobiusstriptech wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 03:39
Customs is not import only. Point of origination customs is also a thing. If you buy something from Japan or China it has to go through the origination customs.
If this is the case then they should have a little chat with the government, as they will probably represent over 1% of total exports this year (based on figures published for 2017); they would warrant special treatment.

But also if true, it would seem that people in Europe should not fear additional taxation due to the 1991 Agreement of Free Trade between the EEC and the Principality of Andorra.

Mobiusstriptech

13 Aug 2019, 04:07

Considering that Alex has been having lots of conversations with DHL and the Andorra government, im guessing you don't need to worry about whether they talk to the government. I guess congratulations are in order for winning the internet with the use of Google?

I will honestly never understand people that make such a big deal out of things like shipping time. I'm happy to bow out of this conversation as it doesn't affect me and I tried to provide you with actual information instead of conspiracy theories and speculation.

Todd
Admin

13 Aug 2019, 04:38

dshadoff wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 04:02
If this is the case then they should have a little chat with the government, as they will probably represent over 1% of total exports this year (based on figures published for 2017); they would warrant special treatment.

But also if true, it would seem that people in Europe should not fear additional taxation due to the 1991 Agreement of Free Trade between the EEC and the Principality of Andorra.
Alex has extensively spoken to local government. And it appears that they don't really care about exports, only imports. And yes, we are one of the largest exporters in Andorra.

They have agreed to clear 45 items per day. So when we ship out, say 600 items at once, well, you can do the math on that.

Once we get all the MegaSD orders shipped, customs clearing time on a day to day basis won't be too bad. But the fact we are shipping hundreds upon hundreds means there is going to be a backlog and there isn't much we can do about it at the moment.

And the only thing of ours that is manufactured in China is our plastics. The pcbs are made in Spain, soldered in Spain and even the manuals, stickers and other paper stuffs (box and etc) is made in Spain.

dshadoff

13 Aug 2019, 05:46

Todd wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 04:38
Alex has extensively spoken to local government. And it appears that they don't really care about exports, only imports. And yes, we are one of the largest exporters in Andorra.

They have agreed to clear 45 items per day. So when we ship out, say 600 items at once, well, you can do the math on that.

Once we get all the MegaSD orders shipped, customs clearing time on a day to day basis won't be too bad. But the fact we are shipping hundreds upon hundreds means there is going to be a backlog and there isn't much we can do about it at the moment.

And the only thing of ours that is manufactured in China is our plastics. The pcbs are made in Spain, soldered in Spain and even the manuals, stickers and other paper stuffs (box and etc) is made in Spain.
Thanks for the detail on this, Todd. It's a shame that the government doesn't seem to care.

keropi

13 Aug 2019, 09:04

So everything is made in Spain but end up in Andorra to be shipped... ? So you are exporting them twice? Once to get to Andorra and once to the rest of the world?

I also don't see what the government has to do with DHL - a private company offering logistics services among other things. TO should offer the option for more shipping service options so the customs work load would be shared, that would speed things up...

Return to “MegaSD General Discussion”