Steven

Re: MSDEXP adapter release date

07 Feb 2020, 13:59

Oh, you really meant that one. I don't have the screw for mine, so I can just slide it off whenever I want.

Riz

08 Feb 2020, 13:48

Interested in the new features and glad to see this product may still be released.

eclypse

21 Feb 2020, 05:59

Yeah I hope this adapter happens soon..

Today I just got in the mail a 32x to use to finally unlock those 32x games. And what do I notice last sec. I cant play sega cd or SMS games with the 32x attached :/

Here everything I've read about was that you could not have a sega cd player attached at the same time as the mega sd or the cd games wouldnt work.. :/ had no idea I'd need to remove the 32x adapter and the metal clips and swap some cables around to play the sega cd and SMS games. :/

I prob wouldnt of bothered buying up a 32x addon if I'd of known.

Good thing I also got a modded sega model 2 system coming in the mail. Thought id replace my nasty model 2 I got from disc replay a while back.. so now I'll have to make room for 2 seperate sega setups just so I dont have to always need to add or remove the 32x addon just to play everything.

Will still grab that adapter when it hits just for a single setup and also be able to play the 32x cd titles.. still will loose sms games though :/

Steven

21 Feb 2020, 06:20

You do not need those metal clips. My Super 32X didn't come with them and I have had no problems with it at all. I have heard they can scratch the area around your cart slot pretty badly or maybe even damage your hands installing/removing them. Your choice if you want to use them, though.

eclypse

21 Feb 2020, 16:36

Steven wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 06:20
You do not need those metal clips. My Super 32X didn't come with them and I have had no problems with it at all. I have heard they can scratch the area around your cart slot pretty badly or maybe even damage your hands installing/removing them. Your choice if you want to use them, though.
I believe your write as I tried it last night and it seemed fine without. I've read it before that you didnt need them I thought maybe for the model 2 genesis but here the instructions show using them on the model 2.

Strange they would go threw the trouble of making them of there is no difference. Maybe one needs them if using the rf cable?

I'm using.scart.

Steven

21 Feb 2020, 17:18

I don't know anything about SCART, but I do know that they put those clips in there for FCC regulations or to "reduce interference" or something like that. There is a similar metal plate thingy that supposedly is some sort of RF shield for the Mega-CD, as well, but I don't have that one either. I don't mean the big one that has a screw to hold it in place. There is a second, much smaller one. This one:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com ... %3DApi&f=1

Anyway, I do not think I have ever read of anyone having any problems without them, and I get the feeling that most people threw them away, which is why they are getting kind of difficult to find now.

lininjim

23 Feb 2020, 20:56

What about releasing STL files? We can print our own or let people buy them from Thingiverse etc?
Todd wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 17:03
Gummy Bear wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 21:12
Don't be surprised if this never appears.
I kinda expect TO to lose interest in the Mega SD as soon as they get a new idea, just like they did with the SSDS3.
As of today we haven't produced it for one simple reason:If you plug your MegaSD into the cart slot of the MSDEXP backwards, it will most likely damage the cart. That's isn't due to a design flaw of the adapter, that because of the signals that are needed at the cart end.

The easy solution to that would be to make a plastic shell for it with a cart slot so the cart can only be oriented in it the correct way.

But the cost of molding and producing the shell is astronomical compared to the small quantity of MSDEXP adapters we would sell. So we either sell the adapters at a higher price to offset the shell costs, or somehow manage to sell thousands of them (at a lower profit) to offset the cost difference.

We are still working with our plastics guy to try and make this happen at the most economical price that we can offer it, but between the Chinese New Year and this god awful virus stuff, getting stuff produced in China right now is hard.

We will update everyone when we know more.

Phiber

26 Apr 2020, 15:10

Seriously, we need an update on the MSDEXP adapter. The silence from TerraOnion is deafening.

Todd
Admin

26 Apr 2020, 17:05

How you figure?

We provided an update just over 2 months ago and unless you are living on a different planet, the worldwide pandemic is still making things rough for production.

Small companies like us are having a hard time getting production queue spots since we aren't making hospital equipment.

And getting anything done from China for plastics has proven to be difficult at best.

We still plan to produce it, but you have to be realistic and simply give us time.
My PMs are disabled. Please send support requests to support(at)terraonion.com.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

Terrabyte

29 Apr 2020, 21:28

Todd wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 17:05
How you figure?

We provided an update just over 2 months ago and unless you are living on a different planet, the worldwide pandemic is still making things rough for production.

Small companies like us are having a hard time getting production queue spots since we aren't making hospital equipment.

And getting anything done from China for plastics has proven to be difficult at best.

We still plan to produce it, but you have to be realistic and simply give us time.
You are correct, there's a lot going on worldwide right now but the product was released nearly a year ago without the adapter.

Based on what was said if the cartridge just needs to be plugged directly in, why not just release schematics on how to do it, and/or release the model for people to print on their own 3D printers so people can have the option to plug it in on the side without even having to worry about waiting on production. Injection molding from China is on hold but home printing production is still here and with pretty much any FDM printer being able to print at .08 to .10mm layer height we can pretty much fab anything we need ourselves right now without relying on mass production.

Return to “MegaSD Discussion”