Gummy Bear

Re: MSDEXP adapter release date

05 Feb 2020, 21:12

Don't be surprised if this never appears.
I kinda expect TO to lose interest in the Mega SD as soon as they get a new idea, just like they did with the SSDS3.

Hastor

05 Feb 2020, 21:35

I don't think the SSDS3 had anything promised in materials and the manual like this though. Manual shows it in the compatibility charts and says it will be released.

SSDS3 at least gets occasional firmware updates, but I don't think it's missing anything promised in the manual.

Todd
Admin

06 Feb 2020, 17:03

Gummy Bear wrote:
I kinda expect TO to lose interest in the Mega SD as soon as they get a new idea, just like they did with the SSDS3.
As of today we haven't produced it for one simple reason:If you plug your MegaSD into the cart slot of the MSDEXP backwards, it will most likely damage the cart. That's isn't due to a design flaw of the adapter, that because of the signals that are needed at the cart end.

The easy solution to that would be to make a plastic shell for it with a cart slot so the cart can only be oriented in it the correct way.

But the cost of molding and producing the shell is astronomical compared to the small quantity of MSDEXP adapters we would sell. So we either sell the adapters at a higher price to offset the shell costs, or somehow manage to sell thousands of them (at a lower profit) to offset the cost difference.

We are still working with our plastics guy to try and make this happen at the most economical price that we can offer it, but between the Chinese New Year and this god awful virus stuff, getting stuff produced in China right now is hard.

We will update everyone when we know more.
My PMs are disabled. Please send support requests to support(at)terraonion.com.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

Hastor

06 Feb 2020, 19:58

I'd be fine with a 'this side up, dummy!, Not our fault if you mess up' sticker on it, or at least considering an option like that if cases don't work out. It wouldn't be up to your normal nice cases, but I'm more after functionality. I'm used to things like this with old consoles though, where you have to be careful. Apparently swapping controllers on a CD-I with the power on is dangerous lol. The Floppy emu SD device for my Apple II can have it's cable connected backwards too (though I don't know if that can kill it).

I think the crowd into this enough to care about 32x CD would be a more careful bunch. Of course if you can get a case that works well, that would definitely be ideal!

mario64

07 Feb 2020, 06:16

Todd wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 17:03
Gummy Bear wrote:
As of today we haven't produced it for one simple reason:If you plug your MegaSD into the cart slot of the MSDEXP backwards, it will most likely damage the cart. That's isn't due to a design flaw of the adapter, that because of the signals that are needed at the cart end.

The easy solution to that would be to make a plastic shell for it with a cart slot so the cart can only be oriented in it the correct way.

But the cost of molding and producing the shell is astronomical compared to the small quantity of MSDEXP adapters we would sell. So we either sell the adapters at a higher price to offset the shell costs, or somehow manage to sell thousands of them (at a lower profit) to offset the cost difference.

We are still working with our plastics guy to try and make this happen at the most economical price that we can offer it, but between the Chinese New Year and this god awful virus stuff, getting stuff produced in China right now is hard.

We will update everyone when we know more.
Thanks for the update Todd. Glad to hear it’s not dead. I for one would be fine either way. I’m ok with a more expensive foolproof adapter or a less expensive one with warning labels. For me whichever is fastest to release :)

neodev

07 Feb 2020, 11:21

Also, even if just a board is used, it needs some kind of support because the exp connector is not at the base level, but around 1cm higher, so connecting the msdexp and a megasd would cause too much stress to the connector, and would need some small pegs to hold the weight.

Also, some interesting additional uses will be possible for the MSDEXP, I made a quick test yesterday and it's fully possible.

Steven

07 Feb 2020, 11:47

What kind of uses?

And now that I think about it, wouldn't the support thing need to be a different size for Mega Sg? I guess you could just use the Sega CD mousepad that the Mega Sg comes with.

neodev

07 Feb 2020, 11:54

yes, it needs different sizes, apart from the megasg, for example my model 2 has the CD metal plate, so it's a bit higher than my model 1.

Steven

07 Feb 2020, 12:46

That seems annoying. I guess you could just make it so that there are pieces you can attach like Legos or something to make it the appropriate height.

It's kind of embarrassing to admit, but when I was a kid and didn't know the Sega CD existed, I didn't know there was a connector on my Genesis 2, and I didn't realize until now that there might be a height difference since I've never opened up a Genesis 2/MD2. By metal plate, you mean the motherboard size difference? I'll shamelessly steal some pictures from Sega-16:

https://imgur.com/0FWwTNI

https://imgur.com/FK6BJcY

So about those additional uses for it... what did you have in mind?

Edit: Actually, I think you probably meant the RF shield, since I don't think the metal plate on the motherboard should change anything. Of course, since I've never opened the MD2/Genesis 2, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

neodev

07 Feb 2020, 13:17

It's the metal plate that helps a more secure attachment to the megacd:

Return to “MegaSD Discussion”