RobertTwinings

Re: DHL order “payment required” issue

16 Aug 2019, 07:23

@ yoshi41 : How much DHL asked you for duties and import taxes ?

yoshi41

16 Aug 2019, 16:35

I paid about 38 euros.

VAT and import taxes are different in each country. I'm (unfortunately) used to pay fees on imports, since Switzerland is "neutral" and is not part of any customs union. UK people will be probably in the same boat soon.

I prefer to buy from Japan or other "import friendly" sellers shipping with national postal service. Japanese sellers usually declare a fraction of the value to avoid the tax annoyance. Import fees probably made sense to protect the local market. These days, in a global world, it makes no longer sense to me, since lots of products are not available locally anymore. It's a modern form of robber barons. :evil:

I understand the trouble for EU buyers, since they ordered a product from Spain, but it's delivered from Andorra. On the other hand, I'm wondering how many people would really miss such a great product because of import fees?! TO is a small company with enthusiasts providing great value for the video games community. If the move to Andorra helps them to survive and expand there business, it's a good thing for all of us. :)

rosewood

16 Aug 2019, 19:04

Import fee for Germany is 62,38€.
Actually, it would be only 47,50€, but DHL Express adds their own fee for customs clearance.

RobertTwinings

17 Aug 2019, 01:29

@ rosewood roughly the same amount.
I like how all those integrators (DHL, FEDEX, UPS,....) can charge easily for "administrative fee" ...
Everything is done by computer... It doesn't cost that amount of money !

Xplod

04 Sep 2019, 12:33

I'm from UK,today DHL finally attempted to deliver the Mega SD but to my surprise they want a whopping £45.72 for Custom Duty & VAT. :shock:
When I ordered Mega SD,I assumed it's sold by a European company and therefore I don't need to pay extra for these charges.
what a nasty surprise. :? :(
I wonder if I can refuse this delivery and get a refund because at this point it's simply not worth the cost for me anymore.

Karny

05 Sep 2019, 01:28

Xplod wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 12:33
I'm from UK,today DHL finally attempted to deliver the Mega SD but to my surprise they want a whopping £45.72 for Custom Duty & VAT. :shock:
In a bizarre way, you should consider yourself lucky... I think most people in the UK have been stung with £55+ from DHL...

Flashman

05 Sep 2019, 08:23

I’m a past customer of DHL from other products and I am not looking forward to dealing with them again, when they send their ransom note via email you are expected to click a link and enter your credit card details on this insecure looking page, which doesn’t give you a receipt after payment (you may get an email if lucky) that or you can search very hard and find a phone number, speak to a robot voice for 15 minutes and finally get through to a human to pay over the phone.

I’ve also paid their charges and then received an invoice demanding them again - another 30 minute phone conversation to get sorted :roll:

Xplod

05 Sep 2019, 11:54

I refused delivery.
and it's now on it's way back to Terraonion.
I was not made aware of £45+ duty charges when I was buying it since Terraonion in a European company located in Europe,I payed in Euro and I live in Europe too.
For me it's simply not worth it anymore with £45+ extra charges added to £230+

stustap

07 Sep 2019, 13:44

Yikes. I thought this was being shipped from within the EU, so was not expecting the £56.72 customs charge that DHL are now demanding :o

Urgh. Tempted to refuse the charge and have it sent back :( . I'm gutted, was excited to receive the notification that it was being delivered on Monday and now this.

Flashman

07 Sep 2019, 23:25

stustap wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 13:44
Yikes. I thought this was being shipped from within the EU, so was not expecting the £56.72 customs charge that DHL are now demanding :o

Urgh. Tempted to refuse the charge and have it sent back :( . I'm gutted, was excited to receive the notification that it was being delivered on Monday and now this.
Old news I’m afraid mate, Terra Onion moved their company operations to Andorra in the interim between the pre-order and the shipping (tax haven for the company but not for the customer) The promised tax free shipping to EU countries is now void, and we are all facing these massive charges.

Least yours is coming - I placed my order in early July and still waiting like a dick.

Return to “MegaSD General Discussion”