RobertTwinings

Re: Mega SD: how to organize the folders

04 Aug 2019, 11:38

I've checked the manual , but I can't find the information :

Do you need to format your SD card in NTFS or FAT 32 ?? :?:

Relikk

04 Aug 2019, 12:28

It does indeed say it in the manual under "Requirements".

RobertTwinings

04 Aug 2019, 17:55

I guess .. I'm blind ...! :cry:
Thank you, Relikk !

:roll:

Greg2600

02 Jan 2020, 03:12

I have two questions on folder structure. So I was using the ol' Smoke Monster set on my Mega Everdrive, resulting in a format like below. I liked this type of sub-division, though I also think this was done to allow for faster folder movement on the flash cart. However, is everyone just throwing all MD/GEN roms into ONE single folder? This is good for menu speed?

1 A-F - US
1 G-P - US
1 Q-Z - US
2 A-O Japan
2 P-Z Japan
3 Sega 32X
3 Sega Master System - Mark III
4 Betas, Revisions, Tools
4 Color Enhancements & Restorations
4 Demos
4 Hacks
4 Homebrew
4 Prototypes
4 Translations
4 Unlicensed
5 Brazilian Pack
5 PAL Mega Drive Pack
6 Game Series Collections
7 Music
8 Game Gear SMS Conversions
8 SMS FM Sound Support

Second question is on the CD files. When I first loaded up a few into a single directory, I had issues, and wound up separating each game into it's own folder with the CUE, BIN, etc, then it worked/found the CD's. However, I read here that isn't necessary, that I can combine multiple CD images into a folder?

Steven

02 Jan 2020, 04:49

I don't know why you'd bother separating everything like that unless you want the system's entire library, the majority of which you will never play, on one SD card, with one exception. The MegaSD can only have either 1000 or 1024 files (I forgot which. Pretty sure it's 1024) in one folder, and I am pretty sure that's more than the total number of games released for the system anyway, unless you include CD games and count US/Japan/PAL releases separately. I have separate folders for 32X, CD, Mega Drive/Genesis, SG-1000/Mark III/Master System, and that's it aside from the system folders.

Everything for MD/Genesis goes in one folder, so I have the 240p test suite, mixed Japanese and US versions of the same games if there are major regional differences (but mainly Japanese versions in general), some tech demos, some prototypes, and a small amount of ROM hacks all together. Same thing for CD, SG-1000/Mark II/Master System, and 32X. The .bin and .cue files or whatever format you are using for CD games need to be in their own separate folders, including any music CDs that you add. Multi-disc games need to have all discs in the same directory, but I don't have any of those so I don't know much about that.

Edit: I forgot to say that I have 205 files in my Mega Drive/Genesis folder (again, no need for the entire library because that's pointless since I'll never play the overwhelming majority of it) and images for all of them and it loads basically instantly.

Galron

02 Jan 2020, 11:25

I think that's SmokeMonster's style of categorisation.

Personally, prefer to categorise by genre (I don't mind mixing up the 'types' 'CD, MD, MS" etc... as long as they are in same genre folders), although sometimes I categorise by series (assuming several games are part of the same series, but not part of the same genre, this sometimes means cross linking some games to multiple folders).

I do have complete collection on my microSD, yes I probably won't play the vast majority of them, except a few seconds just to look at them... "Save States" though do help to play ones I probably would avoid like the plague normally (due to hardness/lack of continues + or simply not that 'great'/compelling).....

Steven

02 Jan 2020, 13:14

I mean, whatever works is fine. For example, I got my second ever flash cart (SD2SNES PRO) late last night, because apparently Japan Post delivers stuff at 2100 on national holidays when almost every store in the country is closed. I took the ROMs from my Super Nt's SD card, shoved the lot of them into the root directory of the cart's microSD, and called it good. No folders aside from system folders and no organization. Just 100 or so games, and about half of those are Japanese and US versions of the same game, although I might go through and delete the US versions of all of the games developed in Japan.

My SSDS3 is identical in structure (meaning that it's a bunch of ROMs and CD game folders dumped into the root directory) except for one difference: I have a SuperGrafx folder even though I don't have a SuperGrafx. I do have the 2 Darius HuCARD games in both the root directory and the SuperGrafx folder since it's only a few kilobytes on a 128GB card and they do run on a regular PC Engine, so it's fine to have duplicates. It's not like I'm putting 40 copies of Rondo of Blood on there.

As for having the entire library, same thing. If you want to do that, go ahead. It is fun to play some complete garbage games like Action 52 sometimes anyway. Or maybe not, since Action 52 is truly terrible. I will say that I did have the entire 32X library on my MegaSD, but then I discovered that some of them just won't run on my Super 32X because of the region lock, so I started deleting the ones that don't run. Kolibri works, and I have real carts for everything else on the 32X that's worth playing except Chaotix, which means that I actually own a total of about 5 32X games.

Galron

02 Jan 2020, 19:13

Congrats on the SD2SNES pro, I'd hate having the rebranded name... I think its rather bland "FXPak"....

It's a great flashcart, and I have alot of fun with it.... I also have Everdrive v3, no plans to upgrade to new version (x7). Other flashcarts in my collection largely focus on portable systems... Everdrive GB X7, Everdrive GBA X5, and a couple for DS and 3DS. It's defintely a fun hobby!
although I might go through and delete the US versions of all of the games developed in Japan.
You mean US versions that were often modified to make them excessively harder (removal of continues/lives/hit points)? And censored/changed graphics for whatever reasons (sometimes odd IP tieins to movies)?

I have a different problem and use for my flashcarts.. that being waiting and hoping for English translation romhacks for games (particulary rpgs), one of the main reasons I got into flashcarts.

God of Bored

02 Jan 2020, 21:34

legolas119 wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 21:38
perfect, like this: https://www.amazon.it/SanDisk-MicroSDHC ... BYMY6XBJDF
Yup that's the one. I use a 128gb of the same make.

Galron

03 Jan 2020, 06:16

I'm going to have to upgrade to a 200GB if I want to really take advantage of MD+ I think.

Return to “MegaSD General Discussion”