Admin

Re: MSDEXP adapter release date

29 Apr 2020, 21:49

Terrabyte wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 21:28
Todd wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 17:05
How you figure?

We provided an update just over 2 months ago and unless you are living on a different planet, the worldwide pandemic is still making things rough for production.

Small companies like us are having a hard time getting production queue spots since we aren't making hospital equipment.

And getting anything done from China for plastics has proven to be difficult at best.

We still plan to produce it, but you have to be realistic and simply give us time.
You are correct, there's a lot going on worldwide right now but the product was released nearly a year ago without the adapter.

Based on what was said if the cartridge just needs to be plugged directly in, why not just release schematics on how to do it, and/or release the model for people to print on their own 3D printers so people can have the option to plug it in on the side without even having to worry about waiting on production. Injection molding from China is on hold but home printing production is still here and with pretty much any FDM printer being able to print at .08 to .10mm layer height we can pretty much fab anything we need ourselves right now without relying on mass production.
And the first time someone plugs their cart in backwards it will be killed and we will be responsible.

So we would rather ship a complete solution.
My PMs are disabled. Please send support requests to support(at)terraonion.com.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

Terrabyte

29 Apr 2020, 22:02

Todd wrote:
Terrabyte wrote:
Todd wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 17:05
How you figure?

We provided an update just over 2 months ago and unless you are living on a different planet, the worldwide pandemic is still making things rough for production.

Small companies like us are having a hard time getting production queue spots since we aren't making hospital equipment.

And getting anything done from China for plastics has proven to be difficult at best.

We still plan to produce it, but you have to be realistic and simply give us time.
You are correct, there's a lot going on worldwide right now but the product was released nearly a year ago without the adapter.

Based on what was said if the cartridge just needs to be plugged directly in, why not just release schematics on how to do it, and/or release the model for people to print on their own 3D printers so people can have the option to plug it in on the side without even having to worry about waiting on production. Injection molding from China is on hold but home printing production is still here and with pretty much any FDM printer being able to print at .08 to .10mm layer height we can pretty much fab anything we need ourselves right now without relying on mass production.
And the first time someone plugs their cart in backwards it will be killed and we will be responsible.

I personally would be willing to take that risk. Of course I speak for only myself however it wouldn't be that hard to record the serial numbers of people who are opting into that since they have to register their serial number to update it. This could also be a "you are voiding your warranty/service by doing this."

Based on some threads I've been seeing though it seems either I or several other people are under the misunderstanding that by doing this they will be allowed to leave their 32x plugged in and run everything off the MegaSD from the CD port which doesn't seem to be the case at all. Correct me if I'm wrong here but this is just going to allow the 32x to stay connected and it would effectively function as a SegaCD by being plugged in there and could ONLY boot SegaCD games. In order to utilize the SMS/Gen/32x ROM loading functionality we would still need to unplug it and plug it back on the top slot.

Todd
Admin

29 Apr 2020, 22:12

Terrabyte wrote:

Based on some threads I've been seeing though it seems either I or several other people are under the misunderstanding that by doing this they will be allowed to leave their 32x plugged in and run everything off the MegaSD from the CD port which doesn't seem to be the case at all. Correct me if I'm wrong here but this is just going to allow the 32x to stay connected and it would effectively function as a SegaCD by being plugged in there and could ONLY boot SegaCD games. In order to utilize the SMS/Gen/32x ROM loading functionality we would still need to unplug it and plug it back on the top slot.
Yes. Only CD and 32X cd games will work via the side Expansion. Rom images can't be used via the side expansion.

We detailed that very clearly in the manual but some people haven't paid very close attention to it.

Anytime the 32X gets involved it throws a big monkey wrench into everything.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

Loukey

07 May 2020, 04:09

I love this solution. TO should not be on the hook for any damage, but this would allow customers to use it without that risk. Gerbers/3d print plans could be released to customers who chose to opt out of warranty.
Terrabyte wrote:
Todd wrote:
Terrabyte wrote:

I personally would be willing to take that risk. Of course I speak for only myself however it wouldn't be that hard to record the serial numbers of people who are opting into that since they have to register their serial number to update it. This could also be a "you are voiding your warranty/service by doing this."

mario64

11 May 2020, 01:59

Todd wrote:
Terrabyte wrote:

Yes. Only CD and 32X cd games will work via the side Expansion. Rom images can't be used via the side expansion.

We detailed that very clearly in the manual but some people haven't paid very close attention to it.

Is there any reason why we couldn't leave the Mega SD plugged in to the expansion port then use another flash cart in the 32x slot? Then we could play both ROM and CD games? Is this correct?

Todd
Admin

11 May 2020, 02:54

mario64 wrote:
11 May 2020, 01:59
Todd wrote:
Terrabyte wrote:

Is there any reason why we couldn't leave the Mega SD plugged in to the expansion port then use another flash cart in the 32x slot? Then we could play both ROM and CD games? Is this correct?
We haven't tested that, but sounds plausible.

mario64

11 May 2020, 03:03

Good deal. Now just release the adapter and I’m all set :)

gracequiles

20 Jun 2020, 11:18

toaks wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 08:24
Any idea when the MSDEXP adapter might be available? My MegaSD has just shipped, reverse image search email checker port checker and I would really like to try some of those 32X CD games.
I’m anxiously waiting on the adapter. Can we please get an update TO? Thanks

Riz

23 Jun 2020, 04:41

The amount of euros needed to ship from Andorra means TO will never be in the accessory business. Time to open source this.

Stormgate

20 Jul 2020, 17:01

Did this ever get released? I haven't heard a peep about it.

Return to “MegaSD Discussion”