Modraw

Re: 60hz pal megadrive ?

08 Jan 2020, 20:35

Yes thzts what I noticed yesterday. Snatcher EU on megacd is running way faster than when the console was 50hz. Menus and text are displayed faster, pretty cool for this game though.
Ill do the switchless mod soon, wish me luck please šŸ˜³

Galron

09 Jan 2020, 00:25

Only couple of games I like to keep a European 'version' for fun. For example Proboprotector and its weird reskins of Contra games.

There are a number of US games that are odd reskins of Japanese versions, and I kinda actually prefer the Japanese original artwork. Like DeCapattack, and the game it was based on (something about Magic Hats, IIRC)...

Of course that's a weird one in its not just a 'reskin' but level layouts are a bit different too, even if the game play is essentially the same. Would love to see translatikon of the Japanese version though!

Steven

09 Jan 2020, 06:37

You could use cheat codes to force games to run at 60hz, you know. EAAT-BL1T forces games to run as NTSC-U. There is also another code to force games to run as NTSC-J, but I never memorized it. There is also one for PAL, as well. As for if they work or not, it depends on the game. Maui Mallard + EAAT-BL1T works perfectly, for example, and that one's somewhat important as that game is PAL-exclusive (unless you count SNES). Zero Wing works, too, so you can have all your base and set up us the bomb in 60hz. Titan Overdrive 2 doesn't work and tells you that it's 50hz only.

Honestly, I think it would be better to just buy a Japanese Mega Drive so you can have 60hz and be able to run non-region locked US/EU carts instead of cutting apart a piece of history... or the Mega Sg, which is much more capable than any "real" Genesis/Mega Drive.

Steven

09 Jan 2020, 07:14

I guess that works, but at that point, you might as well get Japanese or US ROMs unless you are attempting to keep it legit by dumping your own carts and patching them... although if you want to do that, you can buy them on Steam and go into the folder and copy the ROM file to your SD card, so you still wouldn't need to track down carts anyway. I'd much rather buy Alien Solder for 98 yen on Steam than the 40,000 yen that the cart costs. Unfortunately, it seems to be the EU version, so you won't get any visual shock, speed shock, or sound shock, and you also won't be able to the 68000 heart on fire.

Most of the Sega Channel games that didn't get released in the US got released on cart here at 60hz except for Maui Mallard. I have never seen any of them in person aside from Alien Soldier, so I imagine they are fairly uncommon, but the ROMs are on the internet, of course.

Galron

09 Jan 2020, 12:02

As those patches say, it recommends using NTSC versions when available. but patches exist for exclusive titles (or titles where Pal got the only english translation), or for people wanting to play weird variations (Proboprotector anyone?). There is a list there too on which that patch is compatible or not.

For longest while only way to play Mega Man WIly Wars in 'english' was to play with NTSC patch (that was designed to fix the speed, and animation as well). But there is a US rom out there now from the Genesis/Mega Drive mini.

Steven

09 Jan 2020, 12:24

I'll go look into it when I get home since I have nothing else to do aside from play Order of Ecclesia. I will say that Japanese is actually a fairly simple language, though, and a lot of Japanese Mega Drive games are partially or entirely in English anyway, like Vampire Killer, Alien Soldier, Jurassic Park, Gley Lancer, all of the Thunder Force games, Silpheed, and Eliminate Down.

Interesting that they would leave Jurassic Park completely untouched from the US version but still region lock it; it refuses to run when I have my Super 32X attached but works if I remove it. The text on the (original) US version's copyright screen mentions the Genesis, and I'm not sure if it got changed to Mega Drive for Japan/EU releases. I'll go dig out my Japanese cart and check when I get home.

The Contra Anniversary Collection has an option to play the PAL games at either frame rate, so you can have both of the two Probotector games at 50hz or 60hz. That's using software emulation, of course, but I think it probably should be no problem to use the 60hz code on real hardware or the Mega Sg. I tried it with Castlevania The New Generation maybe 6 months ago and the copyright screen actually said Bloodlines instead of New Generation. Pretty sure the actual title screen was still New Generation, but I don't remember. I think there are a few minor audio differences between New Generation and Vampire Killer/Bloodlines because of the frame rate difference (mainly the sound of the whip), and I don't remember what happened with those, either. The music is PAL-optimized. Interesting that the Castlevania Anniversary Collection does not have the option to run New Generation at all, and you have to play at everything at 60hz..

Edit: Looks like Probotector does not work with the code. New Generation does, though. It has some crazy stuff going on with the CRAM dots, but it does work perfectly. Interesting thing is that on my Nomad, Probotector runs at 60hz using the MegaSD's region fix thingy. Jurassic Park Japanese version still says Genesis on the copyright screen, oddly enough.

Galron

09 Jan 2020, 20:00

Depends on the game, but unless they tweaked the roms somehow if they were already tweaked for "50hz" as in slowed down, and the animations speed optimized for the new speed, then 'going back to ntsc" can cause all the animations to run out of wack, and seem faster than NTSC versions, sometimes that can be unplayable if the enemies are running at 'mach speed' so to speak.

You can switch on the Sega Mini to Europe to run Pal games to, but I just assume the emulators switch over to Pal for those.

Steven

14 Jan 2020, 13:02

Yeah, Probotector is one of those games. The intro plays way too fast at 60Hz (this part specifically obviously got PAL-optimized, just like the title screen of Sonic 2), but the actual game seems to work just fine... although I imagine it might be an interesting challenge to play it faster than it's supposed to run.

Return to ā€œMegaSD General Discussionā€