The_A_Drain

Menu minor graphical glitch

22 May 2020, 17:48

Hi guys,

got my serial sorted out, big thanks for that! Loving the MegaSD so far but I noticed a small menu glitch that comes and goes, it's not bad but occasionally it shows up frequently and is a little annoying. Most of the time it's infrequent though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBt9l37xEmY

Top left corner you'll see the cursor briefly appear.

Any idea what might be causing this?
I'm using a Japanese Model 1 Mega Drive with a 1602-05 power supply, testing with original 3-button controller and a 6-button retro-bit controller.

edit:

I'm now seeing much more severe glitches in games.

SG-1000 games, every one I've tried, seems to start up I can hear music and gameplay but no picture, just a black screen.

Mega Drive games, most seem to work ok, but I've had intermittent graphical glitches and occasional freezes. In particular games I've noticed this with are Alien 3, both revisions, Contra Hard Corp and Alien Soldier. In Contra Hard Corp and Alien Soldier I get invisible enemies, in Alien 3 I get flashes of green, tiles mis-placed and eventually a freeze. I'm noticing some kind of small graphical glitch in a lot of games.

It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens often enough to be a big problem.

Some Mega CD games will do the same as the SG-1000, they'll boot up, I see the Mega CD menu, but in-game I just get a black screen.
Last edited by The_A_Drain on 23 May 2020, 11:30, edited 4 times in total.

The_A_Drain

Re: Menu minor graphical glitch

23 May 2020, 11:06

Bump, having more major glitches now.

Todd
Admin

23 May 2020, 18:45

Do you have another console to test this on?

Do you another PSU to test with?
My PMs are disabled. Please send support requests to support(at)terraonion.com.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

The_A_Drain

23 May 2020, 23:45

Unfortunately not yet, I have a Model 2 and PSU, but no AV cables for it.

I have a second Japanese Model 1 and another PSU on the way should be here early next week.

Gummy Bear

26 May 2020, 15:24

This glitch doesn't happen with my JP MD1 VA4.

The_A_Drain

27 May 2020, 12:58

Tested it with another Japanese Mega Drive (VA0) that arrived this morning, and another power supply this time the original Japanese power supply with a stepdown converter.

Works fine on the new one, with either power supply.

So I guess it's a problem with my VA1. Shame.

I can't play SG-1000 games on either, however. I just get a black screen but I do get audio.

edit: Looks like the first one is a VA1 and the second one that works is a VA0. I've cleaned the cartridge slot on the VA1 but I'll try it again.

edit 2: Just tested with a Model 2 PAL console, same result. Works perfectly, confirming an issue with the original VA1 Model 1 I tried. But I also get a black screen with audio for SG-1000 games. Are they supposed to work? I'm not actually sure if they are supported.

Return to “MegaSD Discussion”